- C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins - - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 PM
  #1  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,529
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Journey begins: This Saturday. Would Love to hear from you guys!!!

Hey guys,

I can't believe this is the ONLY way for me to buy a Corvette - it's deja vu. Back in 2005 I bought a C5 from MI and drove to CA. I kept you guys posted about the trip/process, although I was more active on C5 Forum.com back then.

AFter losing my C5 last year in an unfortunate accident, i've been without a Vette for over a year now. So now, I'm getting a C6 - this time from Tulsa, OK area. It's a 2008 Arctic White, Black Vert top, Black int, A6, LT3, 32,XXX miles.

Chris, the seller (also a CF member) has been good in communication and co-operative through the process. Process: Car had lien on it, bank held the title. I asked Chris to take the car to Chevy dealer for inspection (I paid for it over the phone). Inspection came clear. I sent a Cashier's check to his bank, got the funds transferred. And all done! I was supposed to pick up the car last week, but due to health issue I wasn't able to go.

Trip: This Sat flying to Tulsa, returning to SF Bay Area (via Los Angeles). I reach there late evening and will stay at an airport hotel. Get the car on Sun morning and drive it back from Tulsa to LA.

Now starts the trip planning, services that need to be done on my new (new to me) C6, and mods going forward .
Vette_Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM
  #2  
C6KWJ
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Plymouth MA
Posts: 159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Since you already bought it why not just have it shipped? Probably save you time and money in the end.
C6KWJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 PM
  #3  
Jeff T.
CF Senior Member
 
Jeff T.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington Park Racecourse IL
Posts: 7,514
Thanked 482 Times in 422 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
Default

Congrats to you!!

Here's to a very safe trip!!
Jeff T. is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff T. For This Useful Post:
Vette_Fan (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 PM
  #4  
Randy_in_MD
CF Senior Member
 
Randy_in_MD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Posts: 725
Thanked 82 Times in 70 Posts
Default

First, congratulations.

Second, to each his or her own.

However....keep in mind that I love my vette and I have owned nearly a half dozen of them over the years and driven them a lot...I don't think I would attempt to drive one halfway across the country. Check for a shipping quote.
Randy_in_MD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 PM
  #5  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,529
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C6KWJ View Post
Since you already bought it why not just have it shipped? Probably save you time and money in the end.
Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD View Post
First, congratulations.

Second, to each his or her own.

However....keep in mind that I love my vette and I have owned nearly a half dozen of them over the years and driven them a lot...I don't think I would attempt to drive one halfway across the country. Check for a shipping quote.
I did look into shipping. Wasted entire last week. Too much drama, and a bidding war among brokers. In the end, no driver available. And too many online horror stories with shipping companies, late delivery, not meeting timeline, damage to the car, changing prices last mintue, etc

I think this would be a good opportunity to bond with my new car, get to know it; and when would I have the time to be just alone with my Vette, just driving it senselessly...Lol. Once I'm in the Bay area, the same ol' routine. I agree it is a lot to take on, and honestly, I am somewhat nervous too. The car has been sitting in Chris's garage for about 2 weeks now since I paid for it already. He's been patient too; I need to get the car out of there as well. So all in all, make it fun...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Vette_Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 PM
  #6  
rkj427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
rkj427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Washington Township Michigan
Posts: 9,271
Thanked 1,011 Times in 888 Posts
Default

Congrats. on your C6, and here's too the best driving it back home..............

sounds like you have a plan and hopefully good weather for your route and travels............

should be no worries driving back............ drove mine from MI to SD and WY this past summer for a vacation................ 3600+ miles in 8 days..............

made to be driven and enjoyed in my opinion...............
rkj427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rkj427 For This Useful Post:
SK '08 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 PM
  #7  
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Del Boca Vista FL
Posts: 5,465
Thanked 132 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
I did look into shipping. Wasted entire last week. Too much drama, and a bidding war among brokers. In the end, no driver available. And too many online horror stories with shipping companies, late delivery, not meeting timeline, damage to the car, changing prices last mintue, etc

I think this would be a good opportunity to bond with my new car, get to know it; and when would I have the time to be just alone with my Vette, just driving it senselessly...Lol. Once I'm in the Bay area, the same ol' routine. I agree it is a lot to take on, and honestly, I am somewhat nervous too. The car has been sitting in Chris's garage for about 2 weeks now since I paid for it already. He's been patient too; I need to get the car out of there as well. So all in all, make it fun...
Have a ball driving the car home. Take 66 as much as you can and enjoy the car as you travel. I have done this twice and it has been a blast for my wife as well as myself in driving the cars home after purchase.

Good on yoU.
BADBIRDCAGE is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 PM
  #8  
Welker1
CF Senior Member
 
Welker1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Mesquite NV
Posts: 2,333
Thanked 365 Times in 334 Posts
Default

Congrats and have great trip home
Welker1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welker1 For This Useful Post:
Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM
  #9  
BRussell
CF Member
 
BRussell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Othello Washington
Posts: 62
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
Have a ball driving the car home. Take 66 as much as you can and enjoy the car as you travel. I have done this twice and it has been a blast for my wife as well as myself in driving the cars home after purchase.

Good on yoU.

We took our 2012 GS on the 2014 NCM Caravan. Total miles R/T were almost 5700, 26.5 mpg and 22 days on the road. A C6 is a safe, comfortable and very fun car to travel in! Have a great trip and be safe. Bob
BRussell is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:05 PM
  #10  
Ssnobrakes
CF Senior Member
 
Ssnobrakes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Location: Roswell Georgia
Posts: 129
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Enjoy the ride home! Last month I bought my C6 conv from a gentleman in Hilton Head and drove it home to Atlanta 300 miles with the top down the whole way. Only a 6 hour drive, but a great 1st ride.
Good luck!
Ssnobrakes is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ssnobrakes For This Useful Post:
Olsarge (02-16-2018), Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:39 PM
  #11  
AORoads
CF Senior Member
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 42,714
Thanked 1,143 Times in 962 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"
Default

Good luck! Enjoy the ride. Don't forget to ck via accuweather a couple days in advance of each small town/city on your planned route to see how it's going to be. Then, if needed, you can adjust the route.

Take some pics along the route, maybe when you stop at nite or start in the morning. Then, post up when you get home. Safe travels.
AORoads is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 PM
  #12  
LMB-Z
CF Senior Member
 
LMB-Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Texarkana Texas
Posts: 6,437
Thanked 397 Times in 359 Posts
Default

That should be a lot of fun. Take someone with you, just to keep you company. I would want to plan a route ahead of time, but you may want to see some sites along the way. As far as the trip goes, I wouldnt worry about it. Take your time. I've done 8 hrs in a Z06 at one time, no big deal. Let us know how it goes.
LMB-Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 PM
  #13  
jdvann
CF Senior Member
 
jdvann's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Mountain Home Idaho
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 173 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Don't forget your Eric Clapton...(Living on Tulsa Time) and enjoy the trip!

Last edited by jdvann; 02-15-2018 at 11:26 PM.
jdvann is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdvann For This Useful Post:
Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 AM
  #14  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,529
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rkj427 View Post
Congrats. on your C6, and here's too the best driving it back home......

sounds like you have a plan and hopefully good weather for your route and travels... should be no worries driving back......drove mine from MI to SD and WY this past summer for a vacation...... 3600+ miles in 8 days.... made to be driven and enjoyed in my opinion....
Wow 3600+ miles sound amazing. I have the plan to get there, that's about it; not much of a plan after that...hahaha..

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
Have a ball driving the car home. Take 66 as much as you can and enjoy the car as you travel. I have done this twice and it has been a blast for my wife as well as myself in driving the cars home after purchase.
Good on yoU.
I have been researching route 66. It's said to be historic. However, I saw a Youtube video where a traveler's car was broken into while they were having lunch. Also said that there are robberies on route 66 and broken into out of state cars. Secondly, it's seems like a 2 lane highway, with slower speeds due to the type of road it is. It's not an Interstate Freeway with 75 MPH (at least it seems that way. I don't know much about it). And lastly, not sure is I'd run into snow or heavy rains.

Originally Posted by LMB-Z View Post
That should be a lot of fun. Take someone with you, just to keep you company. I would want to plan a route ahead of time, but you may want to see some sites along the way. As far as the trip goes, I wouldnt worry about it. Take your time. I've done 8 hrs in a Z06 at one time, no big deal. Let us know how it goes.
I'll be doing 8 hours or more each day, about 5 days on the road.


Please feel free to give Advise.
Oh, I'll update posts daily. And I'd post pix, but I forgot how to. Been a while

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-15-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Vette_Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:32 AM
  #15  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 6,596
Thanked 626 Times in 514 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
I have been researching route 66. It's said to be historic. However, I saw a Youtube video where a traveler's car was broken into while they were having lunch. Also said that there are robberies on route 66 and broken into out of state cars. Secondly, it's seems like a 2 lane highway, with slower speeds due to the type of road it is. It's not an Interstate Freeway with 75 MPH (at least it seems that way. I don't know much about it). And lastly, not sure is I'd run into snow or heavy rains.

Route 66, the TV show.




Aha, Suzanne Pleshette in the middle. Now that's the way to travel. What could go wrong?



Last edited by Bruze; 02-15-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Bruze is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM
  #16  
RobLo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
RobLo's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Long Island New York
Posts: 1,479
Thanked 72 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bruze View Post

Aha, Suzanne Pleshette in the middle. Now that's the way to travel. What could go wrong?

Suzanne Pleshette??? Man, you're giving away your age!!! Loved her when she was younger and loved her when she was Bob Newharts wife...passed away at a very young 70.
RobLo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 AM
  #17  
RobLo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
RobLo's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Long Island New York
Posts: 1,479
Thanked 72 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
Wow 3600+ miles sound amazing. I have the plan to get there, that's about it; not much of a plan after that...hahaha..
Speaking from experience usually the best plan is no plan at all! And don't be so obsessed with highways, get off the Interstates and travel the backroads, a little longer time-wise but A LOT better memory-wise! Enjoy the trip and especially the car, safe travels and keep us up to date...
RobLo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 AM
  #18  
SK '08
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Milwaukee Wisconsin
Posts: 201
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post



I have been researching route 66. It's said to be historic. However, I saw a Youtube video where a traveler's car was broken into while they were having lunch. Also said that there are robberies on route 66 and broken into out of state cars. Secondly, it's seems like a 2 lane highway, with slower speeds due to the type of road it is. It's not an Interstate Freeway with 75 MPH (at least it seems that way. I don't know much about it). And lastly, not sure is I'd run into snow or heavy rains.



I'll be doing 8 hours or more each day, about 5 days on the road.

My wife and I have made 3 safe trips along Route 66 from Wisconsin to Cali/ Arizona and back. Took our Corvette last year ! I wouldn't worry too much about getting robbed or getting the car broken into as long as you are in a public area during the daytime.

Have a safe memorable trip with your C6, looking forward to seeing your pics !
SK '08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 AM
  #19  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 6,596
Thanked 626 Times in 514 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobLo View Post
Suzanne Pleshette??? Man, you're giving away your age!!! Loved her when she was younger and loved her when she was Bob Newharts wife...passed away at a very young 70.
Yup, very beautiful. Died of lung cancer I believe.

Yes, from this vantage point, 70 is certainly not "old."
Bruze is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:17 AM
  #20  
itomh
CF Senior Member
 
itomh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 493
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Default

I did a 10hr drive when I picked up my 08Z last year, 367 days ago to be exact! I usually hate driving anything more then 3 hours, yet that was the best 10hrs I have ever spent in a car. I will certainty remember the trip for a long time to come.
itomh is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: