C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts
Default Long distance car purchase

starting to think that I might need to look in other states to find that perfect car. Can anybody who has bought a car and gotten it shipped tell me what to do and not to do. Possibly might buy something with just a video, (not actually going to see car). I know thats not the best idea, but it just might have to happen that way.
thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

I live in Montana and bought my used Vette from a chevy dealer in Colorado, I flew down there to look the car over and purchase it if I was satisfied. It was a one owner car and only had 5600 miles on it and was originally bought from that dealership and maintained by them so they had good historical knowledge about the car. Before going down there I asked the dealer a number of questions about the car such as has the harmonic balancer been replaced, have they looked over the car to ensure everything is full functional, why did the owner sell it, what's the condition of the car (scratches, dents, dings, etc) did they have the maintenance records on the car, can they send me a car fax report ? They assured me that the car was like brand new and the only reason the owner was getting rid of it was because he wanted to trade it in on a brand new one, they said he is very well off and has many cars and other toys (hence the low miles). After getting the answers to my questions, seeing the maintenance records and the car fax report (which included documentation the harmonic balancer was replaced), I decided to fly down and look the car over, I made sure to look it over real good and take it for a test drive before signing anything on the car and I also told the salesman that I have a lot of experience on working on cars (which I really do) and if I find anything about the car I didn't like I wasn't afraid to jump on a plane back to Montana, I think he realized I knew what I was looking at by the way I was crawling over and under the car looking at things. Satisfied with the car I went ahead and purchased it and had a wonderful drive back to Montana.

I'd suggest you look it over or have a third party look it over for you before purchasing (there're a number of forum members on this site who'd be willing to help, you just have to ask). Compare the shipping cost to an airline ticket for you to go get it, it might be cheaper for you to fly there and drive back. If you're going to buy I'd suggest buying from a reputable dealer that has high ratings v.s. some guy who's got it in his garage. Ask all the questions you can think of and find all the documentation you can on the car, and most importantly don't be afraid to walk away from it if there's something that doesn't look right.

Last edited by madsonp; 02-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:25 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I considered traveling to find the perfect Corvette, but waited another month and the perfect car at the perfect price showed up 40 miles away. In the next three months I came across a few more perfect cars even closer. I had been looking for about six months.

Traveling feels more like cheating. The thrill is in the hunt.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:44 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Mine was as simple as seeing it on ebay from a well known Corvette dealer. Thoroughly asked questions over the phone and made the deal. Arranged financing locally with the money being wired to the dealership. They took care of shipping via a local carrier and it was delivered to my driveway. Car was perfect and exactly as described.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:28 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Both my Grandsports were bought a about 1700 miles away , black one in Wisconsin and the red one in Kansas - flew there with GF and drove them both home. nice trip with good memories... would do it again if I need to.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I recentry got an 05 C6 conv/6 speed in Velocity yellow with only 20k miles in Hilton Head SC. The owner and I talked at least 10 times by phone before the deal was done. I live 300 miles away in Atlanta so we made a weekend fun trip out of it and it turned out to be a smooth transaction and a lot of fun too. ........... My advice to you is if it doesn't feel right and you don't get answers and info you want then pass on it. Also have a mutual agreement that the deal can break if the car isn't what you were expecting. If the owner is straight up and has been honest they will be on board........Good luck !
Old 02-17-2018, 07:46 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
starting to think that I might need to look in other states to find that perfect car. Can anybody who has bought a car and gotten it shipped tell me what to do and not to do. Possibly might buy something with just a video, (not actually going to see car). I know thats not the best idea, but it just might have to happen that way.
thanks in advance for your input.
Generally if you're picky enough about cars to be looking out of state, you should spring a couple hundred dollars to fly out and see the car in person. The cost to remedy one surprise could easily erase your savings from not going.

Just recently I was looking very seriously at a car on the other side of the country. My plan was to make a contingent offer and fly out for the final once-over and payment. Before I did, though, I asked a friend in the area to have a look at the car in person. Everything was good except it smelled like cigarettes. As far as I'm concerned, that totaled the car. I'd sooner buy it with a blown engine.

As for transporting, I've always driven home. That's the whole point of these machines. Plus you avoid having to fight with insurance companies if the car arrives damaged.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:57 PM
ray_ray
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Farmington where do you live?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:28 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default My long distance purchase experience(s)

I have purchased two sight unseen from a used Corvette dealer in Atlanta. They supplied many pics on their website and furnished a very extensive inspection report. They also offer a money back guarantee if the car was not as described. I had extensive work done on the second as part of the purchase. I have been very satisfied with both Corvettes.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

I found my 2012 GS CE 3LT 6M at BuyAVette in Atlanta, GA. I had to put $500 down to hold it while I got my ducks in a row. In putting down the deposit I lost my leverage in negotiating the price down or have the oem runflats w/ 5/32" replaced. Otherwise, I was pleased with the transaction and absolutely thrilled with the car! Had it shipped on an open trailer rather than enclosed one.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Do not buy sight unseen unless you have a very trusted agent. I bought an 82 back in 2010 from a former forum member. He sent me over 100 photos that all represented the car as advertised. I wired the money and then flew up to NJ a week later to pick it up. Big disappointment and big mistake on my part. The car made it home but was far from the "mint" condition it was advertised and photographed as. It took me 3 months to get it to perfection. I did make money on it after my purchase price and parts dumped into it. My labour was on me.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought a mint low mile 1974 years ago that was located in Iowa and had it transported back to Maryland. Contracted with a car hauler in Maryland to go get the car in an enclosed trailer because it was middle of winter. Found the car for sale on a on-line car site and began talking to the owner over the phone, exchanging information, e-mail and lots of photos. I found the man to be very credible. I gave the car hauler a picture of the car and told him to call me when he got to the sellers home. Asked him to look the car over for any damage and to start the car to make sure it ran OK. Asked him to check the car over for any fluid leaks, glass or interior issues. The car hauler called me when he got to Iowa and said the car was super nice as represented and I told him to give the payment check to the seller and drive safely back to Maryland. Sorry for the long story but it is true. I don't like to buy a car that way but it can be done.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 02-18-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I bought my 11 GS from Stasek Chevrolet in Chicago. I was looking on their website and found a Z06 I was interested in but the salesman told me it had mods done to it and I was looking for one that had none. Then about a month later they just took in on trade a low mileage GS in the color I was looking for. I drove a 5 hr. drive to Chicago that Saturday morning and arrived when the doors opened, went off site to their heated storage where the car was, looked it over, drove it, made the deal, wired them the money on Monday morning and they delivered it to my door the following Tuesday afternoon in their enclosed trailer. That was probably the most painless deal I ever made buying any car.
I would do it again with another reputable dealer out of state if I need to.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Pictures can lie and make a less than acceptable car look too good. Don't buy a car without seeing it (or having a very well informed and reliable person inspect it for you).
Old 02-19-2018, 08:50 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I traveled about 600 miles one way to by my 08Z from a stealership. They sent me about 75 pictures of more, close-up shots of exterior, interiors, seats and engine bay, tire tread and any scratches or blemishes, have to be known before I would make the trip. Once I was happy with condition from pictures, I had the send it to a Chevy stealership and I paid Chevy for used car inspection, best $120 ever spent. Chevy faxed me a copy of report that included, all tire tread depth, brake pad depth, rotor measurements, fluid condition, tested all electronics and body condition to mention a few. The only negative on the report was that they suggested windshield wiper blades need replacing. At this point I knew I was going to buy it, so we haggle the price before and gave a $500 holding deposit and made the trip. Don't limit yourself to what is available to your area I started my search locally, then went 300 miles and eventually 600 miles. Even at 600 miles it took me months to find the right one for me in the color, condition and options I wanted.

Get notified of new replies

To Long distance car purchase

Quick Reply: Long distance car purchase