C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice regarding paint damage from shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Advice regarding paint damage from shop

Hey guys,

Yesterday I had some service performed on my car by a local performance shop and noticed they put about a 1/2" to an 1" mark on my paint by the rear brake ducts. Of course, I was absolutely livid. It just sucks that you have to worry about your car coming back in a different condition than when you brought it in.

It's not too deep because some of the paint is still left. I'm somewhat of a regular so luckily they didn't fight me on this at all and the owner is willing to make it right and schedule something with his body shop to fix it.

My question is this, I am extremely hesitant to have the entire panel repainted (especially with JSB paint). Should I also be skeptical to have his body shop do the repairs rather than one of my own choosing? What do you guys think is the best way to go about this? Can this be fixed without repainting the entire panel? Here is a picture of the damage:

Would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Assuming that if you take it somewhere else that your gonna have to pay for it yourself ??.....might as well give them a shot at fixing a spot that small for free. Maybe you'll be happy enough with the results. If not then take it somewhere else.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie15 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:19 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I hate to say it but I would not repaint the panel as it may not match. I would collect the money and find a high end body shop.ask him the best way. Maybe touch it up with a company that repairs scratches for dealers or use Dr colorchip and repair yourself. I’m just afraid that if it’s painted, it may not match 100%
Frankie15 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by enventr
I hate to say it but I would not repaint the panel as it may not match. I would collect the money and find a high end body shop.ask him the best way. Maybe touch it up with a company that repairs scratches for dealers or use Dr colorchip and repair yourself. I’m just afraid that if it’s painted, it may not match 100%
Appreciate your input. Repainting the panel is definitely something that I do not want to do. Touching up this small blemish would still look far better than mismatched panels; Especially since JSB is a tri-coat finish.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:01 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

touch that up,,you will never see it in a year,,if you paint the whole panel,it will never be right
The following 2 users liked this post by dmaxx3500:
Frankie15 (02-17-2018), marinablu67 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Appreciate your input. Repainting the panel is definitely something that I do not want to do. Touching up this small blemish would still look far better than mismatched panels; Especially since JSB is a tri-coat finish.
Ive seem blemishes like that before and a good touch up man made it almost impossible to see, it came out super Frankie, I would not repaint a quarter panel just for that myself. At the very least have it touched up by a pro or maybe even try it yourself, if you screw it up than take it to a pro.
I used Dr. Color Chip on chips in the same spot and it came out almost invisible with a great color match of SSB.
NSF

Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Ive seem blemishes like that before and a good touch up man made it almost impossible to see, it came out super Frankie, I would not repaint a quarter panel just for that myself. At the very least have it touched up by a pro or maybe even try it yourself, if you screw it up than take it to a pro.
I used Dr. Color Chip on chips in the same spot and it came out almost invisible with a great color match of SSB.
NSF

That looks great for sure! Hardly noticeable from that distance. Definitely won't be able to notice a few more feet away.

The owner of the shop would prefer that I have the entire panel repainted and blended so it was just as good as it was before. I'm worried about the blending aspect. Aren't adjacent panels touched in order to accomplish blending?

I insisted that I would prefer a professional touch up job because I just could not deal with it if the paint was not a 100% perfect match.

Last edited by Frankie15; 02-17-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

That looks great for sure! Hardly noticeable from that distance. Definitely won't be able to notice a few more feet away.

The owner of the shop would prefer that I have the entire panel repainted and blended so it was just as good as it was before. I'm worried about the blending aspect. Aren't adjacent panels touched in order to accomplish blending?

I insisted that I would prefer a professional touch up job because I just could not deal with it if the paint was not a 100% perfect match.
Well the truly good shops do know how to blend or panel match, I've seen very good jobs they have done so just pick wisely, but before that I would try a touch up method, then if your not satisfied go with a panel match
Good luck
NSF
saplumr (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I have had individual body panels painted and it never matched right especially under certain type of light like a gas station. I would try to get that touched up. That looks like a small mark to have a whole panel painted to be honest.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

if your thinking of doing any type of paint repair try wet sanding and polishing first by a proffessional.had a gouge that was 2 feet long that disappeared after wet sanding and polishing
Old 02-18-2018, 11:39 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

did you try to buff it out?

If so, maybe touch up with an airbrush?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I think I would wet sand/polish first, then Dr color chip for a back up.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:54 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Touch it up and move on.

Life really is too short to stress about this kinda of stuff. When some real misfortune comes along in life (and it will) the last thing on your mind will be that tiny little scratch. JMHO
Old 02-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

+ 1 post 13.

No worse than a rock chip.
I would not repaint the panel.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Thanks for your input guys. I really do appreciate it and it helps.

R&L, you're right. In hindsight, it is. It's just really upsetting to see initially, but there are such bigger misfortunes that can occur in life.

I agree with the majority of you who are saying not to repaint the panel. I would rather get this touched up. A mismatched panel (even if only under certain lighting conditions like mentioned by slowstang) would bother me far more than seeing a touched up scratch that is only visible <2 feet away.

I will see if the shop can wet sand and polish. It might work because there is still some paint left from the scratch. Otherwise, touching it up would be preferable.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depending on the color, the blend can occur entirely within the panel. Typically, the entire panel will be clear coated, though some painters are skillful enough to burn in the clear coat.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:51 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks for your input guys. I really do appreciate it and it helps.

R&L, you're right. In hindsight, it is. It's just really upsetting to see initially, but there are such bigger misfortunes that can occur in life.

I agree with the majority of you who are saying not to repaint the panel. I would rather get this touched up. A mismatched panel (even if only under certain lighting conditions like mentioned by slowstang) would bother me far more than seeing a touched up scratch that is only visible <2 feet away.

I will see if the shop can wet sand and polish. It might work because there is still some paint left from the scratch. Otherwise, touching it up would be preferable.
I think that may polish out fine.

But even if the scratch was deep, nobody would reapply color to the entire fender. The scuff is miles away from adjoining panels.

The most involved repair would be to sand the clear coat, repaint just the damaged area while blending into the surrounding, and then re-clear the whole fender. Done properly, it would look fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice regarding paint damage from shop

Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,774 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

As most have said, I would touch up the scratch only and not repaint the panel. Certain colors are tricky. I bought a new hood for my wife's '16 Wrangler Unlimited that is Granite Crystal Metallic - the bodyshop matched the color & metallic perfectly. My wife then got rear-ended in our '16 Mitsubishi Outlander that is Cool Silver Metallic. The entire rear bumper panel, rear hatch, and front bumper panel (she got slammed into the truck in front of her at a red light) had to be replaced. It took 4 separate attempts by the same bodyshop that did the Jeep to match the color. They had to have the reps from the paint manufacturer come out and view the panels, their paint mixture, etc. and said they ended up having to use completely different % of toners than what the manufacturer called for to finally match the color. I'd hate for them to mess up your color and you have to keep taking it back.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

A good body shop will blend the color within the panel and clear the entire panel. It should be painted off the car. Blending to the adjacent panel(s) may be necessary.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Some colors are difficult; JSB is one of them because of the tinting and the metallic. I agree that it'd be better to have a really good touch up person give it a shot, maybe air brush or some such.

I have an opinion on blending in any form but it's not popular. Given a choice, I would not ever have any paint done by someone who claims they can blend it. jmo

Quick Reply: Advice regarding paint damage from shop