C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 rear vert speaker wiring. Experts please offer suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts
Default C6 rear vert speaker wiring. Experts please offer suggestion

I am reaplacing the head unit with a Kenwood. Do not want to add new amp and will keep at least the door speakers/amps. I was told the Bose amp does influence the rear speakers from Crutchfield, and that they are wired in mono on this site. Placing higher end speakers behind the seat, how would you recommend wiring.
1.just use the existing wire harness that is there....mono still.
2.connect them with new wire directly to the Kenwood harness wires using it’s built in amp/power
3. Connect the wires to the supplied Crutchfield harness/PAC to still route through factory Bose system
More of an electronic question but trying to get more vert owners to chime in
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

When I installed my Kenwood head unit, I was advised to bypass the Bose amp and wire directly, regardless of whether or not I was going to use an aftermarket amp. It's my understanding that you'll get overall better sound quality.

Another thing you'll want to do is disable the dash speaker either by removing it, or simply cutting the wire that goes to it.
The following users liked this post:
Callaway DrDon (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
When I installed my Kenwood head unit, I was advised to bypass the Bose amp and wire directly, regardless of whether or not I was going to use an aftermarket amp. It's my understanding that you'll get overall better sound quality.

Another thing you'll want to do is disable the dash speaker either by removing it, or simply cutting the wire that goes to it.
Did you wire directly both front and rear or just the rear speakers?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Just a note of caution when you do this. I have a '13 GS with Bose and put in a Kenwood unit. That's all I did, changed nothing but the head unit and used the PAC RP5-GM11 to connect it. In my opinion the Bose amp and speakers definitely clash with Kenwood. The Bose uses difference staging specs to achieve their sound and I did not like the sound the Bose/Kenwood combo produced. Too overdriven and even with the 13 band EQ the Kenwood comes with I could never get a good clean tight sound. Either too tinny or too muddy. After one week I went back to the all original Bose system and never regretted it.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Callaway DrDon
Did you wire directly both front and rear or just the rear speakers?
I wired everything directly.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:58 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I would bypass the Bose amp completely front and rear.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Am am planning on keeping the door speakers/woofers. Any specific guidance on harness used or how to wire to the head unit.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Callaway DrDon
Am am planning on keeping the door speakers/woofers. Any specific guidance on harness used or how to wire to the head unit.
You'll have to connect the factory speaker wires for the doors to the head unit, then run your own speaker wires for the rears so you bypass the factor wiring for those. I don't recall the part number for the harness I used, but I can dig it out for you if someone else doesn't have it handy.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed

You were definitely correct about disconnecting the front speaker. Did that tonight with the stock head unit and it did sound better.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 rear vert speaker wiring. Experts please offer suggestion

Quick Reply: C6 rear vert speaker wiring. Experts please offer suggestion