C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chuck COW vs Vitesse

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:23 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by GS057
Funny how all these claims about lots of forum members having issues with there Vittese have not responded on this thread.
I reluctantly respond, since this topic can get so intense. I drove my car over 2,000 miles with no issue whatsoever after I purchased it. I installed the Vitesse controller and within less than a month and less than 200 miles got a CEL and went into limp home mode. I had followed the directions exactly, but did have the control unit near the transmission tunnel (heat?). I moved the control unit, recalibrated, and cleared the codes and things were ok after that. I don't know if the issue was a heat sensitivity or a bad initial calibration of something else entirely unrelated to the Vitesse. In hindsight, what I do know is that I don't want to increase my odds of a limp home event at the wrong time in the wrong place, especially since those odds may have a direct relationship to factors outside my ability to control such as temperature and calibration (and even battery conditions as others have mentioned). Although I realize that I may never have any further issues and others have had very solid results, I found this troubling enough that I removed the unit and will evaluate things without it. If I still get a CEL I'll certainly post here, but doubt it will come back. For me it's strike one and you're out on a part in a critical control path. The Vitesse did improve response and made the improvements it claimed, so I was by no means disappointed with the results. I even posted a thread about my delight with the results. Vitesse was also very responsive and helpful when I called with a question during initial install. That said, on other vehicles I have run ECU tunes (software based not piggy back controllers) for 15+ years and 80k miles (on a single vehicle) and never had a single problem let alone a limp home problem. I'm very comfortable with software based approach. As a result the COW option is next on my list and I will be able to provide some insights on that at some point.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-24-2018 at 01:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CrystalRedTed:
Chuck CoW (02-24-2018), jimijam (02-09-2019)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

The ongoing need to one up every person who doesn’t have the same option of chuck cow is exhausting. It’s that approach, and the fact it took him 14 days to return a phone call last year.

When we did speak if found him much like a used salesman.....I’ll stick with Diablo and Lew. Less opinion, all fact, no upsell.
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 02:16 PM
OH2VET
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not an engineer nor do I have a dog in this fight, however much fun it is to read pages of this stuff, how about facts instead of opinion? Have any of these companies ever posted verified 0-60 times stock versus their tuning on the same vehicle? Isn't a quicker car off the line what most of us are looking for? That's what I'm interested in. Also, for that power to be continuous all the way through the gears. No lag anywhere. Here's a challenge to Chuck and the other manufacturers, provide non proprietary information showing exactly what your product does to improve 0-60 times and any other pertinent information to educate a buyer on why they should buy your product. Post the info of the stock car and then the same info on the tuned car. Simple.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:27 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you for your input.

Originally Posted by Austin Ted
I reluctantly respond, since this topic can get so intense. I drove my car over 2,000 miles with no issue whatsoever after I purchased it. I installed the Vitesse controller and within less than a month and less than 200 miles got a CEL and went into limp home mode. I had followed the directions exactly, but did have the control unit near the transmission tunnel (heat?). I moved the control unit, recalibrated, and cleared the codes and things were ok after that. I don't know if the issue was a heat sensitivity or a bad initial calibration of something else entirely unrelated to the Vitesse. In hindsight, what I do know is that I don't want to increase my odds of a limp home event at the wrong time in the wrong place, especially since those odds may have a direct relationship to factors outside my ability to control such as temperature and calibration (and even battery conditions as others have mentioned). Although I realize that I may never have any further issues and others have had very solid results, I found this troubling enough that I removed the unit and will evaluate things without it. If I still get a CEL I'll certainly post here, but doubt it will come back. For me it's strike one and you're out on a part in a critical control path. The Vitesse did improve response and made the improvements it claimed, so I was by no means disappointed with the results. I even posted a thread about my delight with the results. Vitesse was also very responsive and helpful when I called with a question during initial install. That said, on other vehicles I have run ECU tunes (software based not piggy back controllers) for 15+ years and 80k miles (on a single vehicle) and never had a single problem let alone a limp home problem. I'm very comfortable with software based approach. As a result the COW option is next on my list and I will be able to provide some insights on that at some point.

I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to post in a thread like this.

I kinda wish I didn't feel compelled to put down the misinformation about my own product when I and others,

KNOW 100% for sure.... That's it's the best & safest option that exists.

When my product is compared to or, worse yet, labeled "the same as" the other products out there..... I'm involved.

While not everyone with problems posts in this thread or elsewhere, there are plenty of admissions by those that

needed to call to get help, have it calibrated, or have to call in to get help of some sort of assistance, or install guidance...

People have gone with the competitors because they claim they are "simpler".... Just plug & play

Playing, and playing......

CoW BOOSTER! has no install variables and there's simply NOTHING that can go wrong, and nothing a careless installer

could do wrong to compromise it's function.... tugging wires, spilling coffee on it, temperature changes, whatever or whatever....

SO, for those that did have problems or issues with the other products out there, you now realize that, in hindsight, the installation

process of the CoW BOOSTER! is actually the simpler path and given ZERO potential for problems.... no worries afterwards.

The design is foolproof and again, simply absolutely no way you could screw it up.... even if you wanted to.

Thank you for your input.
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 02-24-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:52 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Including tuning.....

Originally Posted by OH2VET
I'm not an engineer nor do I have a dog in this fight, however much fun it is to read pages of this stuff, how about facts instead of opinion? Have any of these companies ever posted verified 0-60 times stock versus their tuning on the same vehicle? Isn't a quicker car off the line what most of us are looking for? That's what I'm interested in. Also, for that power to be continuous all the way through the gears. No lag anywhere. Here's a challenge to Chuck and the other manufacturers, provide non proprietary information showing exactly what your product does to improve 0-60 times and any other pertinent information to educate a buyer on why they should buy your product. Post the info of the stock car and then the same info on the tuned car. Simple.
Including tuning..... With Chuck CoW... Hands down no contest.

The other product does not do or change any tuning.

One important thing to note here is that at WOT both products are identical in that with the pedal 100% down,

and the throttle blade 100% open..... Both products are IDENTICAL.

This is the exact reason that (while people asked for it) showing side by side dyno graphs is a waste of time because

simply nobody dynos cars at anything other than 100% pedal down WOT. You simply "Step over" all of the

under the curve benefits of both products.

Similarly, they can't be compared at part throttle either because both products are adjustable..... and there is no way to adjust

them to be the same.

Where CoW BOOSTER! is totally different (which you can read elsewhere and also earlier in this thread) is in how the

slope is programmed.... Smoother, more resolution, more linear, etc....

Second only to the safety and reliability (and simplicity) of my design, is the added benefit of the actual way in which the

throttle slopes are programmed.... Which by the way is consistent every time, now and forever, without having to "calibrate"

or be effected by hitting a pothole or tugging on a wire.....

The throttle slopes are custom programmed at your request (if you request) and are otherwise optimized for stick

and/or automatic cars. Should your vehicle have too much power to begin with and you're needing ANY part of the

curve reduced to get you traction.... I can do that.

Should your car be too fast at the track and you need to limit the throttle to something less than 100% for bracket racing

purposes to make the car more consistent.... Yeah, I can do that too.

Suppose, you have to occasionally leave your vehicle with a valet or your teenage son...... Limit the throttle to 50 or less %.....

YEAH, we got you.....

Infinite is a BIG word..... But, FWIW..... CoW BOOSTER! can be adjusted INFINITELY.

So, back to your question.... and to answer it completely, many people ask me to explain why my products

perform better than others...

My answer is that "performance" is not only measured by Horsepower or 0-60 times... There are many ways to define "performance".

For those that have had the opportunity to try both products on the same vehicle, it's difficult to put

into words, but the CoW BOOSTER! just simply performs better for all of the reasons I've described previously.

Hopefully that's a sufficient answer.
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 02-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:01 PM
OH2VET
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for your answer Chuck. However, which of your products would you recommend for the most cost efficient means of reducing 0-60 times? What improvement in times would I see? That's all I'm interested in right now. I would appreciate just that information. Thank you.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:04 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Call me any time.

Thank you for your answer Chuck. However, which of your products would you recommend for the most cost efficient means of reducing 0-60 times? What improvement in times would I see? That's all I'm interested in right now. I would appreciate just that information. Thank you.
Simple and done, my tuning package will do it. And the CoW BOOSTER! is a huge performance booster

that indirectly makes the car even quicker at PART THROTTLE.

I'm here all day today. 914-332-0049 and I can answer all of your questions much more directly.

Thank you.
Chuck CoW
Old 02-24-2018, 03:47 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I have the Cow Booster and his tune, actually an around town milder tune and press traction control once and more aggressive tune.

Chucks booster and tune has been in my Vette for 30k now and my long term thoughts.

Taking off from a light or stop zero lag as the throttle opens immediately, like my old carburetor days (yes I am a dinosaur). Moderate throttle and the acceleration is so much better then waiting on lag. I have an A6 and the blip just before a stop is cool an nice touch. So nice to drive my Vette with zero lag from takeoffs or when cruising a little throttle is instant go.

I mainly went with Chuck for his A6 tune and this is not the thread for this, but. I will also give my long term thoughts on how I feel on this.

I come from a deceased 770+ RWHP C5 so going fast was in my dna.

Stock in San Antonio summer air I could run 12.9s and after the tune 12.4s and in winter air I did 12.2s. I run stock Michelin’s, but in 325 in the rear.

No for the fun part of the tune downshifting, I hated how my A6 took forever to downshift, especially when cruising on the highway. Depending on how fast you are going and how much throttle you give you can go from 6th to 2nd in a snap. Say I give it 1/4 throttle is usually goes to 4th enough to pass, but what I like to show passengers is then to hit the throttle immediately to hit second and this is cool, one downshift and then another all in a snap, something I played with upon getting Chucks tune years ago.

Another great item is when going to a stop when coasting no getting to a stop in 6th to save gas, Chucks tune downshifts and does the blip right before you stop. What I like is say you were slowing down for a slow vehicle turning and before when you gave gas in high gear, depending on speed you may be in like 3 or another and with the cow booster when you press the go button zero lag and off you go.

One other thing Chuck did for me was my aggressive tune, he even made the shift from 3rd to 4th even crisper, like a hard hit, how I wanted it.

Also on our daily tune as wife drives he did my setup on the aggressive side, wife is ok still and for me coming from high HP I wanted the most fun from my stock Vette. Only mods are ZR1 exhaust, cold air and Chucks work.

I have been to Corvette Museum twice since tune and also did the road course quite a few times and Vette is still rolling just fine. Oh one way to Vette land is 1k.

Last edited by peter pan; 02-24-2018 at 03:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peter pan:
Chuck CoW (02-24-2018), OH2VET (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:00 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Thank you for taking the time to write such a great post!

Originally Posted by peter pan
I have the Cow Booster and his tune, actually an around town milder tune and press traction control once and more aggressive tune.

Chucks booster and tune has been in my Vette for 30k now and my long term thoughts.

Taking off from a light or stop zero lag as the throttle opens immediately, like my old carburetor days (yes I am a dinosaur). Moderate throttle and the acceleration is so much better then waiting on lag. I have an A6 and the blip just before a stop is cool an nice touch. So nice to drive my Vette with zero lag from takeoffs or when cruising a little throttle is instant go.

I mainly went with Chuck for his A6 tune and this is not the thread for this, but. I will also give my long term thoughts on how I feel on this.

Stock in San Antonio summer air I could run 12.9s and after the tune 12.4s and in winter air I did 12.2s. I run stock Michelin’s, but in 325 in the rear.

No for the fun part of the tune downshifting, I hated how my A6 took forever to downshift, especially when cruising on the highway. Depending on how fast you are going and how much throttle you give you can go from 6th to 2nd in a snap. Say I give it 1/4 throttle is usually goes to 4th enough to pass, but what I like to show passengers is then to hit the throttle immediately to hit second and this is cool, one downshift and then another all in a snap, something I played with upon getting Chucks tune years ago.

Another great item is when going to a stop when coasting no getting to a stop in 6th to save gas, Chucks tune downshifts and does the blip right before you stop. What I like is say you were slowing down for a slow vehicle turning and before when you gave gas in high gear, depending on speed you may be in like 3 or another and with the cow booster when you press the go button zero lag and off you go.

One other thing Chuck did for me was my aggressive tune, he even made the shift from 3rd to 4th even crisper, like a hard hit, how I wanted it.

Also on our daily tune as wife drives he did my setup on the aggressive side, wife is ok still and for me coming from high HP I wanted the most fun from my stock Vette. Only mods are ZR1 exhaust, cold air and Chucks work.

I have been to Corvette Museum twice since tune and also did the road course quite a few times and Vette is still rolling just fine. Oh one way to Vette land is 1k.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great post!

Much appreciated!
Chuck CoW
Old 02-24-2018, 05:42 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

This is an impressive result. In the world of tuned euro turbo cars, where a turbo engine in general has a lot of tuning potential, getting a 1s improvement on a tune is a good result. A 0.5s improvement on a naturally aspirated engine is fantastic. A few tenths would a have been good. This is only part of the story as it's the day to day driving experience that can be improved even more drastically. Hoping to see that on the cow tune as I do on my euro cars.
Chuck CoW (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

This is an impressive result. In the world of tuned euro turbo cars, where a turbo engine in general has a lot of tuning potential, getting a 1s improvement on a tune is a good result. A 0.5s improvement on a naturally aspirated engine is fantastic. A few tenths would a have been good. This is only part of the story as it's the day to day driving experience that can be improved even more drastically. Hoping to see that on the cow tune as I do on my euro cars.
The engine tune small part, as I gained 20rwhp, I believe it is the A6 tune as the shifts are hard like they should be on the track, my daily shift does not shift as hard as the track tune. Not a tuner, A6 easy to launch stock.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:31 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

The engine tune small part, as I gained 20rwhp, I believe it is the A6 tune as the shifts are hard like they should be on the track, my daily shift does not shift as hard as the track tune. Not a tuner, A6 easy to launch stock.
Makes sense
Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I installed the Vitesse when I first heard about them, maybe a year or two ago. I had the exact same experience as you describe. Luckily when my car went into limp mode, I was on a city street, and not on the freeway. I uninstalled the unit, and sent it back for a partial refund. I have not experienced the limp home mode since. At some point I would very much like to have Chuck do the trans tune on my A6, and install the Cow Booster. I have owned the car long enough that I don't really notice the lag in the throttle (my wife's BMW has about the same lag) until I drive my daughter's new Tahoe. Every time I drive that thing, I do 'jack rabbit' starts from stop signs. It has instant throttle response. I'm not sure why GM went with the lag on the C6. Are the C7's the same, or do they have better response?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:08 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default GM is starting to get the picture.....

Originally Posted by unclecookie
I installed the Vitesse when I first heard about them, maybe a year or two ago. I had the exact same experience as you describe. Luckily when my car went into limp mode, I was on a city street, and not on the freeway. I uninstalled the unit, and sent it back for a partial refund. I have not experienced the limp home mode since. At some point I would very much like to have Chuck do the trans tune on my A6, and install the Cow Booster. I have owned the car long enough that I don't really notice the lag in the throttle (my wife's BMW has about the same lag) until I drive my daughter's new Tahoe. Every time I drive that thing, I do 'jack rabbit' starts from stop signs. It has instant throttle response. I'm not sure why GM went with the lag on the C6. Are the C7's the same, or do they have better response?
GM is starting to get the picture..... The different throttle modes is something that was in many of the C5's.... and nobody knew

Then it was in the C6 right from start of production....... and nobody knew it....

UNTIL CoW BOOSTER! came out and then it was advertised and everybody knew.

Next, since they had been doing it all along...... GM put it in the C7's USER MANUAL. Now, they've learned something.

Similarly, manufacturers are starting to realize that it's something people really wanted....

They just didn't know they wanted it.... Until the response to Chuck's C5 Tunes and the C6 CoW BOOSTER! hit the market.

Still waiting on my commission check.

Newer vehicles will surely be programmed a bit more exciting than previous vehicles....or at least have the option to adjust them.

Chuck CoW
unclecookie (02-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:43 PM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have no experience with COW but I have had Vitesse on my C7 Z51, and can say that it installed easy. It took away the lag completely. It did not make my car faster just more responsive. If my car had more traction from a dig the device likely would make the 0-60 faster or at least more consistent 0-60. I have an A8 and downshifts and up shifts seemed good to me. For less than 200 bucks I would buy it again. I typically used it set to SP5 but played with it on all settings. Easy to switch settings with simple button pushes.

For or people who have traction issues with Supercharger on C7 you can actually use this to detune torque for more traction. at launch. It essentially accounts for human tendency to jump on throttle too early from a dig by inserting added lag into the equation.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Came to this thread looking for real world experiences from people since I am also interested in this question.

Instead it's filled with hearsay, anecdotal evidence, and a boatload of advertisements. Sigh. Can't a guy just get some real data!?
Old 08-27-2018, 06:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by theandrewo
Came to this thread looking for real world experiences from people since I am also interested in this question.

Instead it's filled with hearsay, anecdotal evidence, and a boatload of advertisements. Sigh. Can't a guy just get some real data!?
Hummm, There is plenty of real data in this thread....sigh, whine, wimper, cry to moma...

JJ1956 (08-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Chuck COW vs Vitesse

Old 08-27-2018, 06:44 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Hummm, There is plenty of real data in this thread....sigh, whine, wimper, cry to moma...
You clearly didn't even read OP's question.
There is literally not one single person that answered OP's question. Not a single one.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:10 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

You clearly didn't even read OP's question.
There is literally not one single person that answered OP's question. Not a single one.
Seems like the OP’s question was answered multiple times. I have had both. A tune and a throttle controller are totally different products. If you are just interested in throttle response, I can confirm that the COW booster improves throttle response dramatically. So did Vitesse and the Vitesse was adjustable too, which was nice. I didn’t measure differences so that’s the most I can say regarding response. However I can say that the Vitesse resulted in a CEL in 200 miles for me, and the COW software hasn’t in 2,000 miles.
theandrewo (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

This is what you can expect from any thread that has Chuck Cow in it.

Quick Reply: Chuck COW vs Vitesse