C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2012 GM Steering Wheel Possible Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 PM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New 2012 GM Steering Wheel Possible Issue

Hi,

I ordered a new GM OEM (2012 I believe) steering wheel to upgrade an older C6 since the steering wheel in that car is pretty ugly from the factory. I ordered it from a vendor on ebay (who also is popular here) and it took 2+ months to arrive because they didn't actually have one in stock, it was on backorder. So, I waited patiently and when it finally arrived it appears a bit poor in the QC department.

Now, I realize the vendor selling these doesn't manufacture them so the possible QC issue isn't their fault. I did contact the vendor and he basically said I can't return it for this and to let him know if it fails within the 12 month warranty. Not too impressed by that response, especially after waiting so long to receive it. After all, I'm 'upgrading' for cosmetic reasons.

From folks who have ordered these also or who have a 2012 model C6 is it normal to see this kind of 'defect' in the application of the leather? Perhaps I'm just being too critical here and maybe it's not a true defect?

It only affects one side of the wheel btw...
Attached Images   

Last edited by 10thumper; 02-19-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:50 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

It would probably drive me nuts being in my line of vision every time I got in the car. Especially when I upgraded for cosmetic reasons. The vendor should have taken it back. I can imagine it wasn't cheap. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
It would probably drive me nuts being in my line of vision every time I got in the car ...
I think when you make mods like this you are even more picky than a regular 'vette owner if that's possible.

Anyway, I have a 2005 with your same 2012 wheel and I don't have that defect. Mines fits very will around the controls. I with 89L98, I would try to get a new wheel.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 PM
10thumper
Racer

Originally Posted by Dutch08
I think when you make mods like this you are even more picky than a regular 'vette owner if that's possible.

Anyway, I have a 2005 with your same 2012 wheel and I don't have that defect. Mines fits very will around the controls. I with 89L98, I would try to get a new wheel.

You're 100% correct, each part we're looking at individually not just the car as an entire unit as if buying a new car. Sounds like the vendor won't play ball (I rather just exchange it) so I'll likely have to just return through ebay.

Last edited by 10thumper; 02-20-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Not acceptable at all , that wheel is expensive and you deserve a perfect wheel ... I would do what I have to do to get a new one which would include a lot of bad press if I had to ....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 02-20-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Hold the horses!!! Of course you can return it!!! The seller is responsible for the item. Geez, I can't even understand asking permission to send it back. He's the seller, he is representing it as it should be, not like you received it.

Go to your purchase history, find the item, look to the right...click on "more actions", then click on "return the item". Select "request a return", and click on "defective". the go to "Add details"...enter "damaged and defective".

In a few days, you will get an okay to return the item.

Don't allow a weak seller to dictate policy to you...
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 AM
10thumper
Racer

Seller got nasty considering I was only trying to exchange this for another, which he refused upon my initial inquiry. I’m out of town so my better half got involved. He wasn’t very nice to her either, sarcasm isn’t necessary.

History...

1. Purchased early December, waited a couple weeks with no shipping update. I contacted him and he said it was damaged and now on backorder with no ETA. Honestly, I’m not sure why he couldn’t communicate this but I told him I appreciate him checking condition prior to shipping as this is actually a Christmas gift.
2. I reached out a few weeks later and got a rather short answer where seller seemed bothered I was checking, at least that was my impression. Still no ETA so I waited. I’m fairly patient so no worries.
3. This week I notice he’s selling more of the exact same steering wheel now. I never got tracking info or was notified my item shipped so I messaged him about it and he replied GM shipped it and I did get the item. If I waited two months I’m not sure why seller couldn’t let me know it was coming.
4. I received the item with defect (see pictures above) and seller told me no return would be given rather quickly when I pointed this out. I told him that when I’m back in town I’ll look at the item myself and that yes I will return it if the defect is really bad (in person, I’ve only seen pictures from my better half), if it’s not so bad I’ll just keep it. I did point out that I felt this was poor customer service on his end which likely triggered his ego, but I still feel that’s true.

The seller then accused me of making threats to him. Wow, really? I’m still not sure what he’s referring to here but that’s what he wrote.

5. Seller told my significant other (now she was messaging him) that we have two choices, either take it as-is or return it for a refund and get banned from ever buying from him again. This seems rather unjust, abusive and borderline extortion.
6. We have asked 2x now for a shipping label, nothing yet.

All this is documented through eBay messaging so I’ll be filing a complaint with eBay. I don’t need to take this. There’s no need for it to come to this and I’m too old to play these games, although I admit I was standing up for my rights as a customer and being frank with him about his poor customer service attitude. I’m not going to slander his name on the forum (honestly, this was an eBay transaction anyway) so just keep your eyes open for who you give business to.

Last edited by 10thumper; 02-20-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:13 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

There is no need for slander but you really should tell us who it is so we don't buy from him

I would let everybody know if I had a bad transaction like this

Dave
Old 02-20-2018, 08:10 AM
10thumper
Racer

Originally Posted by Dcasole
There is no need for slander but you really should tell us who it is so we don't buy from him

I would let everybody know if I had a bad transaction like this

Dave
Hi Dave,

I may be an isolated case. Or, perhaps the majority of people don’t have any issues and it’s just a small percentage. I do see some recent negative feedback on eBay. Despite how I feel about him and his business practices, I think my negative experience (although valid) is not enough to risk his future business. Also, I was standing up for myself so while I believe I kept it professional, there’s always room for improvement on my end too. My significant other perhaps wasn’t quite as patient but she still kept it objective.

My post was mainly intended to get feedback on the defect but I did want to update folks on the outcome and perhaps vent a little. Still, I think it’s important everyone shop carefully because even the vendors we trust the most are not always good vendors when there’s an issue they have to deal with.

A few months back I purchased a GM spoiler that arrived with paint defects. That vendor handled it professionally in my opinion. Not as quickly as I hoped but he tried and that’s what matters, the end result was good. So not all vendors are bad and I’m sure each has his/her good and bad days.

I won’t be checking the forum for a few days starting later today as I’m remote dealing with the death of a close friend. Well, unless I can sneak in some WiFi somewhere.

Last edited by 10thumper; 02-20-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Curious who the vendor is as well but that defect looks pretty minor and seems like it would be easy for the vendor to repair/replace.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 10thumper
.....<edited>

From folks who have ordered these also or who have a 2012 model C6 is it normal to see this kind of 'defect' in the application of the leather?
I posted here before and said you should get a new wheel. I still think that ...

But worst case if you're stuck with your purchase, the cover pieces are fairly easily to remove you could perhaps fix this defect yourself. It looks like the leather is just bunched up on the edge of the cover instead of being under it. Lots of posts on how to correctly remove the airbag etc.

Last edited by Dutch08; 02-21-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2012 GM Steering Wheel Possible Issue

Quick Reply: New 2012 GM Steering Wheel Possible Issue