C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top - Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 AM
82X-FireVette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Convertible Top care

I used Rag Top and also Meguiar's convertible top cleaner (Walmart has it). Both work well. I vacuum the top while it is dry. Generously wet the top and spray the cleaner on. Scrub gently with a very soft brush. Rinse off and allow to dry. You can apply the protectant (I use Rag Top) afterwards. Take steps to keep the protectant off the windows and paint as it is hard to remove. Make sure the top is completely dry before lowering it.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I use Tide. And I never seal.

This is for both my Grey-Beige (very light-colored) and my Kalahari tops. I use a very soft brush that is dedicated for this use. You do have to make sure you rinse well, then wash the car after with car soap.

My '05 looked brand-new until 200,000 miles, and started to develop a little dark in the creases. Still looks pretty darn good 45,000 miles later. My '14 still looks new, with no dark marks.

It goes against the mainstream advice, but, personally, I can't argue with success.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:06 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

RaggTopp. Good stuff. I apply it once every other year or so. And just wash the top like the rest of the car. Be sure to check the joints inside the top for small holes. These things have a habit of tearing where the metal folds under the fabric. Would I buy another vert? Probably not, but they're not for everyone. Like you , I never had one before.

You won't be able to use the Ragg Topp till you get home though. It's a process. Best thing to do is just drive it home, then wash it good, and then do the protection.

Last edited by USA1 427; 02-22-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Another RAGG TOPP guy here. Just applied my first coat on my '09 after buying it in December. I bought my Trans Am 'vert new and the top is still the original one and looks good after 17 years. It is garage kept and has 59,000 miles.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
I thought I was the only brilliant one who came up with that idea!?!?!?
Great minds think alike lol. I did the same and it works great.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hey guy,

I'm excited to get my first C6 tomorrow; AND my 1st EVER convertible. I had a C5 coupe before, so thought of getting a Vert this time.

Question : What products you use for cleaning, conditioning, and overall maintaining the TOP ? Please feel free to share details and educate me.

Secondly, how would you Protect the top of a car Just bought? Since I'm buying it tomorrow in OK and driving it to CA and will be out for 5-6 days, I wanna make sure the top isn't going to be damaged in this cross-country drive.

Thanks.

I saw from the pictures that you posted on your journey that you have a Pace car too. Mine is the one on the right in this picture. I posted it to show the difference made by the product I used on my top. I purchased a convertible top maintenance kit put out by the UK company Auto-Glym. My car was in a GM dealer sponsored Corvette car show on that heavy raining day. The water repellent effect of the product I used was so impressive I had people walk up to me and ask "what did you treat your convertible top with?"

The water formed marble sized beads and ran off as if they were motorized.

There have been lots of great suggestions and advice posted in response to your question above. I personally like the comment regarding using a painters drop sheet when treating the top. I also frequently use a shop vac on the top to keep the dust and dirt from getting too deep into the fabric. My top is the same color as yours and I found that it doesn't take long for bits of lint, dust etc to get stuck to the fabric and they really show up like a sore thumb on the black background so I carry a lint roller in the trunk and frequently make a quick pass over the top with it.

Enjoy your convertible, it was our first as well and there is nothing to compare with the top down sensation on a beautiful day and the amazing visibility and feeling of being close to nature with that top down.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I used the 303 product about 5 years ago and the water still beads off. I poured the product into a container and used a paint brush and got a nice, even application with no overspray problems.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:45 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Looks like you got all the good stuff recommendations: Ragg Top* (recommended by the mfr. of the top), 303 (an excellent product, too), and car wash soap (never read of anyone having a problem with it). Blowing off top, dusting, vacuuming, all done and can't hurt.

Only thing to stress again is * let that top dry, dry, dry before applying the Ragg Top sealer, or as Sunnyvale said you could be sealing in moisture which doesn't sound bad. Until that moisture in warmer weather becomes black mold. Then, you have a problem.
Originally Posted by 82X-FireVette
I used Rag Top and also Meguiar's convertible top cleaner (Walmart has it). Both work well. I vacuum the top while it is dry. Generously wet the top and spray the cleaner on. Scrub gently with a very soft brush. Rinse off and allow to dry. You can apply the protectant (I use Rag Top) afterwards. Take steps to keep the protectant off the windows and paint as it is hard to remove. Make sure the top is completely dry before lowering it.
Originally Posted by Atomic6
Another RAGG TOPP guy here. Just applied my first coat on my '09 after buying it in December. I bought my Trans Am 'vert new and the top is still the original one and looks good after 17 years. It is garage kept and has 59,000 miles.

Thanks EVERYONE - so Raggtopp kit it is...

Now can someone go over the entire process in a few words - I mean, how do I detail the car? I know it sounds silly, and I should know better. But this is my 1st vert, and will be the 1st wash soon...

I am think this is the order I'd do it -

1. Vacuum / dust off the top first.
2. Rinse the entire car (top & exterior).
3. Then use the car shampoo on the body of the car (this could be a long process - using clay bar, etc).
4. spray the top with raggtopp cleaner and gently scrub it.
5. Rinse the top (and car again).
6. Dry the car and let the top air dry until next day in the garage (or leave it out on a nice sunny day to dry the top.
7. Apply the Raggtopp protector (after covering the car with plastic sheets/etc).
8. Finally, get to the body and polish / wax / sealer, etc...

Let me know if you'd make changes...

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Thanks EVERYONE - so Raggtopp kit it is...

Now can someone go over the entire process in a few words - I mean, how do I detail the car? I know it sounds silly, and I should know better. But this is my 1st vert, and will be the 1st wash soon...

I am think this is the order I'd do it -

1. Vacuum / dust off the top first.
2. Rinse the entire car (top & exterior).
3. Then use the car shampoo on the body of the car (this could be a long process - using clay bar, etc).
4. spray the top with raggtopp cleaner and gently scrub it.
5. Rinse the top (and car again).
6. Dry the car and let the top air dry until next day in the garage (or leave it out on a nice sunny day to dry the top.
7. Apply the Raggtopp protector (after covering the car with plastic sheets/etc).
8. Finally, get to the body and polish / wax / sealer, etc...

Let me know if you'd make changes...

Thanks!
You don't want to use a clay bar with your car shampoo. You want to use it with detail spray, and I would do this between your steps 7 and 8 as you'll have to have the top down to do the tonneau cover, polish, etc. When I do mine, I take care of the top first, then do the rest of the car.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 PM
Boookie
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I came across this! I just bought a 2015 Z51 vert. and I'm not sure if the previous owner did any maintenance to the top. Most likely not, judging by the dirt that I've found elsewhere. Great help here!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Great thread and information..... I did find this video from Autogeek on applying RaggTopp cleaner/protectant so thought I would share.... they do not mask windows etc. but several points on prep and application are good to know (e.g. make certain top is TOTALLY DRY before applying protectant, using "blotting" vs. wiping)....lots of other videos on the topic will/should also appear on the right!!

RAGGTOPP™ Convertible Top Fabric Protectant Hints

* Clean as directed with RAGGTOPP™ Convertible Top Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner and allow to thoroughly dry.
* Shake well, product must always be well mixed.
* Spray lightly using gentle sweeping motions 18 to 24 inches from fabric top.
* Allow top to dry 10 to 15 minutes between coats. The sun will speed up the drying allowing you to apply additional applications.
* Once dry to the touch apply additional coat. (Two or three coats are recommended on first application.)
* Allow 24 hours for the micro-bonding process to set.
* IMMEDIATELY wipe over spray from glass automotive/truck finish with a microfiber towel.
* Reapply several times per year as needed maximum UV protection as well as stain and water repellency.

LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 04-04-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:06 AM
capt. sam
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Looks like you got all the good stuff recommendations: Ragg Top* (recommended by the mfr. of the top), 303 (an excellent product, too), and car wash soap (never read of anyone having a problem with it). Blowing off top, dusting, vacuuming, all done and can't hurt.

On.ly thing to stress again is * let that top dry, dry, dry before applying the Ragg Top sealer, or as Sunnyvale said you could be sealing in moisture which doesn't sound bad. Until that moisture in warmer weather becomes black mold. Then, you have a problem.
Having had boats I use 303 on my canvas. But I do go one further. If I'm under some trees or out in the sun, parked, with the top up I'll sometimes cover it with a piece of Tyvek. It folds up to nothing and takes no room. It's on your house - it's good enough for your vette. One more tidbit. Pickup a little brush for those hard to get areas - especially if it's stitching.

Last edited by capt. sam; 04-04-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-04-2018, 10:36 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

I use the Ragg Topp , but I DO cover the glass and mirrors and trunk and anywhere that might get hit with spray or overspray with newspaper and towels (on the paint) And I'll clean it one day, and cover and treat it the next. I also don't do it in direct sun. Do it in the garage if you can. Watching that guy spray it without protection was painful to watch.

Last edited by USA1 427; 04-04-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:19 PM
Roachagucci
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top mechanicals - cable problem

Gents, have a 2007 convertible. I love it, have had it for about 4 months victory red with two tone black/tan interior.

Only problem i have right now is there is a cable connection on passenger side that looks to be missing, and so that side of the top slumps while opening/closing.
Is there a source for a good diagram/pics of the mechanical design of the frame that i can consult to make sure i don't "F" it up?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Convertible Top - Maintenance