Watch out for falling motorcycles... - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch out for falling motorcycles...

Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 PM
z06clif
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by unstressed View Post
He was walking it past the car, he was on the left side and it started tipping to the right and he couldn't hold it. My driveway is kinda off canter and sloped. Watched it happen in slow motion from 15 feet away.

And yes I'm breaking his ***** severely......
And rightly so....

Clif
Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 PM
z06clif
CF Senior Member

I dont think that will be repaired....but it will be replaced by a body shop. These cars havent been fiberglass for awhile now...good luck

Clif
Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 PM
unstressed
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by z06clif View Post
I dont think that will be repaired....but it will be replaced by a body shop. These cars havent been fiberglass for awhile now...good luck

Clif
I think so too. I wonder if it would be cheaper for me to get a quarter panel off the for sale section and swap it myself, then just pay for paint. Looks super easy to swap a quarter on these cars.

Gotta admit the wide body thing looks attractive, but I know in a few months I'll be bored with the car again.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 PM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,142 Times in 961 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm working in Poway, so that's a haul for me.
Talk to North County Corv. Club, the folks that put on Plastic Fantastic down at the Embarcadero for a recommendation of a shop.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 PM
J3TVETTE
CF Senior Member

Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 PM
choppychop
CF Senior Member

Just get a quarter used and get it painted, easy fix
Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Guess I'm gonna have to go see the dealer tomorrow, I went to 3 places here and nobody works on fiberglass.

I have a good dealer here, had my top replaced on the recall and the paint was perfect match, so I trust them. May just tell them to put a new quarter on and paint it.
First of all, it is not fiberglass.

Does your dealer have his own body shop? If not, he is just going to send it to a body shop, and charge a "handling fee" of about 20%. When you go to the dealer, just ask him, "Who does your body work?". If he says "we do", then you are okay. If he tells you someone else, go there.

Nobody is likely to put a "new" quarter on it. They will find a used one off the same vehicle. It will be cheaper, by far, to put a good used, painted, quarter on it than trying to fix that contour, and then having to paint the entire quarter, anyway.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 PM
LowRyter
CF Senior Member

It's a rice burner race bike, it's made out of composites and definitely lighter than a Harley. He's dropped it about 3-4 times, each time is minimum of $500. Just a mirror assembly is like $600. This one's gonna cost him about $1500-2000, mirror, windshield and front fairing. He was pushing it, then it started to go down the driveway and he lost it. And I had just moved my car out of the way so he could get in my garage to tighten the chain.

I'm SOOOOOO glad it wasn't a new car or I'm not sure what I'd of done.
No, Ducati is an Italian bike. It's a $20k bike that fell on $15k car.

Yes the motorcycle tupperware is expensive to replace. Prolly more than the few hundred to patch and paint the C6 panel.

BTW- you don't want a new panel. This one will fit best and is pretty easy for a body shop to patch and paint. Make sure you find a good shop that matches paint. (Don't go anywhere that wants to replace the panel and don't take it to a dealer.)

I have to wonder why the guy keeps dropping it?

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-21-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
No, Ducati is an Italian bike. It's a $20k bike that fell on $15k car.

Yes the motorcycle tupperware is expensive to replace. Prolly more than the few hundred to patch and paint the C6 panel.

BTW- you don't want a new panel. This one will fit best and is pretty easy for a body shop to patch and paint. Make sure you find a good shop that matches paint. (Don't go anywhere that wants to replace the panel and don't take it to a dealer.)

I have to wonder why the guy keeps dropping it?
A "few hundred" to patch and paint a contoured and beveled surface on a Corvette? Not a chance. Maybe $1500, more likely $2000. He may not even find a shop that will do patchwork, since there are plenty of clean, original quarters available for $200 or so, and they will be a perfect fit.

As for why he drops it...man, I had the same question. He is pushing it down a slope, without using the brake, and loses control of it. You would think after dropping it several times, and having to repair it, he would be more careful. But, I don't ride anymore, so who am I to say?

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-21-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 PM
LowRyter
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
A "few hundred" to patch and paint a contoured and beveled surface on a Corvette? Not a chance. Maybe $1500, more likely $2000. He may not even find a shop that will do patchwork, since there are plenty of clean, original quarters available for $200 or so, and they will be a perfect fit.

As for why he drops it...man, I had the same question. He is pushing it down a slope, without using the brake, and loses control of it. You would think after dropping it several times, and having to repair it, he would be more careful. But, I don't ride anymore, so who am I to say?

I totally disagree. Those panels are made to be patched and glued, sanded and painted. It will fit better than any replacement and won't even have to come off to be fixed.

If a shop wants to replace it, go someplace where they know what they are doing. I would expect it to be fixed for less than a $ grand.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 PM
RoadkingC6
CF Senior Member

For any good bodyman or body shop that's a relatively easy repair. and you will never even know the panel was damaged.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:03 PM
LowRyter
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6 View Post
For any good bodyman or body shop that's a relatively easy repair. and you will never even know the panel was damaged.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:11 PM
SpryGeezer
CF Senior Member

Good buddies ride 18-pound titanium road bicycles and avoid damaging your nice stuff by parking around the block when visiting.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:32 AM
choppychop
CF Senior Member

Nice Used quarter panel...$200
Change it out yourself in an afternoon...
Paint to match...$600
Been there done that, no big deal.

Last edited by choppychop; 02-22-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Insert picture
Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 AM
pjazz
CF Senior Member

Old 02-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Landru
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
WHY AN INSURANCE CLAIM??? The guy who did it is going to pay cash for the repair. You put in a claim, and it might get reported, and show up on carfax.
You're absolutely correct, buck.
I'm an old goat who lived most of his life before CF et al existed.
Easy to neglect considering the impact.

A ding w/ CF for cosmetic damage, especially considering OP's pal says he'll p/u tab for the damage he caused, isn't smart.
That is IF in fact he does pay, once he sees the bill.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM
PAULEB07
CF Senior Member

Fix it then sell it! Upgrade.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobLo View Post
LOL, yeah, I dropped mine once (900 lb. Tourer), stopped in sand and my foot just slid out, couldn't hold it and over it went in slow motion. Took 2 of us to pick it back up...
Yea I hear that. And if ya try to stop the foot sliding your liable to pull a groin....LOL. Mines just a plain Dyna S/Glide and weighs in at close to 700. Was strapping it down on a trailer once....strapped slipped and over it went into the railing....OUCH & [email protected]#T !!!! Put a small 3X1 inch dent in the tank. Been trying to massage it out now for about 2 years. Probably close to $1000 for a new tank replacement at a dealer.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM
LowRyter
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by windyC6 View Post
Yea I hear that. And if ya try to stop the foot sliding your liable to pull a groin....LOL. Mines just a plain Dyna S/Glide and weighs in at close to 700. Was strapping it down on a trailer once....strapped slipped and over it went into the railing....OUCH & [email protected]#T !!!! Put a small 3X1 inch dent in the tank. Been trying to massage it out now for about 2 years. Probably close to $1000 for a new tank replacement at a dealer.
I dropped the Guzzi in my profile photo. I was at Bandimere Raceway in Denver. The parking lot is very steep and gravel. The bikes were parked all in a line. I was pulling out and couple on a Harley pulled out in front of me. I hit the brakes and swerved and down I went. Luckily the Harley rider lurched but stopped, otherwise I would've hit them before I went down.

I had to get a new right side crash bar for $75. And do some wrenching and polishing. Luckily the bags are ABS and could be polished and reshaped with a heat gun.

The worst was by big toe that was bent over and swollen. It hurt for 6 months. It was the only time I'd ever fallen off the bike after 45k miles on it. This made for a long trip back to Okla driving my Toy Hauler.

The couple on the Harley rode away before I was off the ground. Luckily several bystanders helped me up and get my bearings. When I went down I was thinking I was going to the hospital and the bike was totalled. Actually I was up and rode out and fixed it for a few bucks and had a few months of nagging pain.

I don't blame the Harley rider or myself or the parking lot. Stuff happens.

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-22-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM
unstressed
CF Senior Member

She's going under the knife next Monday. Under $1K to fix it, they are gonna pull the panel off, fix it, paint it and reinstall. Said it was an easy fix for them.

I did get to sit in a few C7's while I was there, why not right?

I sat in one 3lt and that interior was really nice. Was a brown suede.

Just having trouble with the exterior of the car, I like it but it looks very edgy to me, like jagged or something. Lots of plastic on the outside, wish it was more smooth and clean of clutter, but still looks way more modern than a C6. And I really like admiral blue, close to LMB.

I was thinking of a Mercedes, or CTS-V, but I may stick with a C7 now that I've been in one. I'll drive one next Monday when I drop off my car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watch out for falling motorcycles...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: