C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch out for falling motorcycles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:56 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Good deal. Fixing the panel is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:58 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
I dropped the Guzzi in my profile photo. I was at Bandimere Raceway in Denver. The parking lot is very steep and gravel. The bikes were parked all in a line. I was pulling out and couple on a Harley pulled out in front of me. I hit the brakes and swerved and down I went. Luckily the Harley rider lurched but stopped, otherwise I would've hit them before I went down.

I had to get a new right side crash bar for $75. And do some wrenching and polishing. Luckily the bags are ABS and could be polished and reshaped with a heat gun.

The worst was by big toe that was bent over and swollen. It hurt for 6 months. It was the only time I'd ever fallen off the bike after 45k miles on it. This made for a long trip back to Okla driving my Toy Hauler.

The couple on the Harley rode away before I was off the ground. Luckily several bystanders helped me up and get my bearings. When I went down I was thinking I was going to the hospital and the bike was totalled. Actually I was up and rode out and fixed it for a few bucks and had a few months of nagging pain.

I don't blame the Harley rider or myself or the parking lot. Stuff happens.
Yep....Gravel and motorcycles never have gotten along very well. I've been lucky enough to have never kissed the asphalt, but everyone of my friends have and a lot of the incidents were due to gravel on the road......
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yep....Gravel and motorcycles never have gotten along very well. I've been lucky enough to have never kissed the asphalt, but everyone of my friends have and a lot of the incidents were due to gravel on the road......
I've been down a few times but it was the only time on with of my Guzzis (knock wood). Have to happy that I didn't scratch the bike.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:30 AM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by unstressed
It's a rice burner race bike, it's made out of composites and definitely lighter than a Harley. He's dropped it about 3-4 times, each time is minimum of $500. Just a mirror assembly is like $600. This one's gonna cost him about $1500-2000, mirror, windshield and front fairing. He was pushing it, then it started to go down the driveway and he lost it. And I had just moved my car out of the way so he could get in my garage to tighten the chain.

I'm SOOOOOO glad it wasn't a new car or I'm not sure what I'd of done.
He has dropped it 3-4 times and you let him in your driveway?????
I gotta put the blame on you for letting this friend onto your property. Take a life insurance out on him because its not gonna end well. I would be trying to talk him out of owning a motorcycle. Has he crashed 3 -4 times or does he just drop the bike everytime he comes to a stop lol.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:29 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

She's going under the knife next Monday. Under $1K to fix it, they are gonna pull the panel off, fix it, paint it and reinstall. Said it was an easy fix for them.

I did get to sit in a few C7's while I was there, why not right?

I sat in one 3lt and that interior was really nice. Was a brown suede.
In this case, I stand corrected about the repair cost. Based on my experience with two repairs to composite body parts, I thought it would be much more, and more challenging.

glad you are getting it done.

the repeated dropping of the bike reminds me of the geeky guy in the movie "The Italian Job". He bought a rice rocket so he could be one of the cool guys, and couldn't ride it without falling.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
In this case, I stand corrected about the repair cost. Based on my experience with two repairs to composite body parts, I thought it would be much more, and more challenging.

glad you are getting it done.

the repeated dropping of the bike reminds me of the geeky guy in the movie "The Italian Job". He bought a rice rocket so he could be one of the cool guys, and couldn't ride it without falling.
Ah yes....and lets not forget about Terry "Toad" in American Graffiti crashing his Moped into the snack machine in the beginning........What a movie !!!!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Continued to look at different cars and it seems I can't find anything I like and can afford. Not liking the C7 enough (not $50K enough).

I will probably keep this car a few years more, so now I'm rethinking the RPI widebody kit. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the rear wheels. My rear Michelin 4S are brand new, so if I do a wide body it will have to roll on wheel spacers and I'm not sure thats a smart thing to do.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:21 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Continued to look at different cars and it seems I can't find anything I like and can afford. Not liking the C7 enough (not $50K enough).

I will probably keep this car a few years more, so now I'm rethinking the RPI widebody kit. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the rear wheels. My rear Michelin 4S are brand new, so if I do a wide body it will have to roll on wheel spacers and I'm not sure thats a smart thing to do.
You have not stated what year yours is, but for the following comment, I will assume it is an '08 or newer.

Stop and reconsider, just for a minute.

You are not crazy about the car you have. You could easily sell it, then get a decent 2010 GS with fewer miles, which already has the wide body, and of bunch of other great stuff. You would be amazed at what is available out there if you use a broad search distance, and be vigilant. I guarantee you can find a nice GS for little more than the total of what you can sell yours for plus the wide body, wheels, paint, etc., and you will have a "new" toy, rather than just a modified current toy.

Your call, of course, but I would sure think hard about putting so much into your current car.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-25-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:08 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

My car is an 05.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

My car is an 05.
I would still sell it for what I could, and get a newer Vette. Lots of good prices on good cars, prior to April/May, when they go up in price.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

I would still sell it for what I could, and get a newer Vette. Lots of good prices on good cars, prior to April/May, when they go up in price.

Agree. Came to my senses that putting any money into a 13 year old car with 90K miles is ridiculous.

My new idea is to find a C6 GS with low miles, but people still think they are worth a ton.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Dropped it off today for quarter repair.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:14 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

If you do not turn it in for an insurance claim, THERE WILL BE NO CARFAX ISSUES.

<snip>
This is not an accurate statement. Carfax gets its data from many sources. They don't disclose exactly what they get from where, but insurance is usually lower on the list. An accident that does not result in a mark on the title is much more likely to get to Carfax through police reports or the body shop (and not necessarily the actual body shop, but the software that they use may have an agreement that the software company can do what they want with the data).

Good luck with the repair, I'm sure it will come out like new (or at least like a 90k daily driver)!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:58 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

give us a report of the cost and quality.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:58 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Agree. Came to my senses that putting any money into a 13 year old car with 90K miles is ridiculous.

My new idea is to find a C6 GS with low miles, but people still think they are worth a ton.
I was surprised when I was doing my search. Found quite a few '10/'11 GS's in the mid 20's, ranging from 35K miles to 75K miles, mostly 3LT. All appeared to be very nice cars. I ran autocheck on several, and they came back clean.

You do have to really widen the geography, though, even if you only do it to see what is out there. It is worth looking into.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

I was surprised when I was doing my search. Found quite a few '10/'11 GS's in the mid 20's, ranging from 35K miles to 75K miles, mostly 3LT. All appeared to be very nice cars. I ran autocheck on several, and they came back clean.

You do have to really widen the geography, though, even if you only do it to see what is out there. It is worth looking into.
Totally agree, I'm seeing much better deals outside Southern California.

First thing is to get my car back and sell it.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:40 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Totally agree, I'm seeing much better deals outside Southern California.

First thing is to get my car back and sell it.
If you really want some laughs, check out prices in the Bay Area, on up into Seattle. Man, those folks are insane. You don't even see prices like theirs in NY and Mass.

Midwest and Southwest usually have solid prices, but be careful of FL and LA due to so many flood cars. I even found a FL flood car that had been sent to Minnesota to sell there.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-26-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Watch out for falling motorcycles...

Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

It's all fixed, good as new. Ended up costing about $1K, and all is settled.

Still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do in the future as far as cars go. Was thinking about a C6 GS, but they don't look much different and are the same inside, so I'd be bored shortly after.
Problem with having several Vettes is that it makes it hard to go to something else, the power, looks, and handling plus good gas mileage are a pretty good combo.

Name:  All fixed.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  3.35 MB
Old 03-09-2018, 07:18 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

It's a rice burner race bike, it's made out of composites and definitely lighter than a Harley. He's dropped it about 3-4 times, each time is minimum of $500. Just a mirror assembly is like $600. This one's gonna cost him about $1500-2000, mirror, windshield and front fairing. He was pushing it, then it started to go down the driveway and he lost it. And I had just moved my car out of the way so he could get in my garage to tighten the chain.

I'm SOOOOOO glad it wasn't a new car or I'm not sure what I'd of done.
it is not a rice burner and he needs to get a cheaper bike if he can’t keep the rubber side down. My 1199 was 19k new and my 2016 1299 was 20k it doesn’t take much to rack up a big repair bill on them

Last edited by artz66; 03-09-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:58 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

First off, insist that HIS insurance pay for it. And if he didn't insist on it, he's no friend.

Sorry about this. For some reason, only the first page of this (and most posts) shows up on my feed, so I just now saw you got it fixed.

Last edited by USA1 427; 03-09-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Watch out for falling motorcycles...