C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont drive unless it is restarted first.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:01 PM
wadegreg
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont drive unless it is restarted first.

I have a 2005 Corvette and it will shift fine if I am driving, but if I stop, I have to restart it so it will move when in gear. No problem putting it in gear, just will not drive while in gear. Feels like the brakes are on when I give it gas.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

First thing I would try is disconnect the battery for a couple of minuets to see if you have a computer glitch. If that does not do it then I would check with the dealer to see if they have experienced this problem and see what they think is the cause.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:51 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by wadegreg
I have a 2005 Corvette and it will shift fine if I am driving, but if I stop, I have to restart it so it will move when in gear. No problem putting it in gear, just will not drive while in gear. Feels like the brakes are on when I give it gas.
Could have a problem in the brake booster, and turning off the engine will stop the vacuum to the booster, to allow it to reset back to normal.

A quick way to check (but will loose the power assist to the brakes), is to pull the vacuum line off the booster when in a large empty parking lot, bag or cap the end of the hose so it will not keep drawing a vacuum from the intake manifold, and take the car for a drive in a safe empty parking lot with mini stops and go's.

Get notified of new replies

To Car wont drive unless it is restarted first.

Quick Reply: Car wont drive unless it is restarted first.