New GS Owner....Need suggestions! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GS Owner....Need suggestions!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 PM
jmasse

Default New GS Owner....Need suggestions!

I am in the process of buying a 26K mile 2013 GS and am interested in "must do" mods/tweaks.

I already plan to change every fluid just to be safe along with plugs/wires.

Are there any quirks or issues I need to be aware of or very effective mods anyone suggests?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 PM
bartsky
CF Senior Member

Vitesse is a great mod...
Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 PM
EVRose
CF Senior Member

With only 26k miles plugs and wires are perfectly fine. No need to change either.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 PM
919cw313
CF Senior Member

Supercharger.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Husker C6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 919cw313 View Post
Supercharger.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM
rkj427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

first item would be to ensure tire condition and age.............

alignment, as some wear insides of front tires quickly............

rest of the mods are what each individual wants to personalize their vehicle to sit their wants / needs..............
Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 PM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Welcome to the club ! If you have a 6MN a MGW shifter is a must.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Hey Pat, no workee tonight?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:36 PM
C6 Snowboarder
CF Senior Member

if you are going to change plugs and wires... be sure to change the belts and water pump and shocks and engine coolant and the tire pressure sensors. --
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Nice Ride
CF Senior Member

I don't think there are any "must do" mods for a 2013 GS. Car is sweet as is. Change oil and filter and check fluids sure but no need to rush to change all fluids much before time/miles recommendations in manual. Possible exception is brake fluid because over time it could absorb moisture. If you want to change your car suspension, motor work, supercharger etc. think about what is the purpose for doing so like tracking etc. but whatever get the right technicians and parts to do any serious mods. Enjoy your car!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 AM
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

I recommend putting a cover in the center console if you put electronics in there. Also the drink holder. Both tend to get warm and Top Flight Reproductions sells some cheap (in price) kits that work.

I also wouldn't put any drinks or stuff in the trunk that can explode as it does get hot back there. TKO Performance has a blockit mat that works great. A partition would be nice to keep the luggage in the back also.

There is a lot you can do to change the car but it all depends on what you like/desire to keep warranty/etc.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 AM
jdk541
CF Senior Member

If it has the factory original brake pads you might want to change those out. Even though they work great they are messy as hell and are subject to squeal quite a bit. Do some research here on the forum about alternatives.

Otherwise like others have said, as long as the vehicle wasn;t abused, there should be little that NEEDS to be done. Drive it and enjoy it.

Congratulations on your wise purchase.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 AM
SSWEET
CF Senior Member

A Battery Tender. You'll thank me later.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 AM
FortMorganAl
CF Senior Member

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL

Finally a good answer. The battery tender is the only thing the factory seems to have missed because they made it an option and not standard.

You will see lots of other answers from people who have bought snake-oil products and have a psychological issue acknowledging they just wasted money. There are NO "must-do" additions to these cars. The factory spent a lot of time and money getting them right from the start. Until you start spending thousands, any performance mods are worthless. Appearance mods are subjective. The Battery Tender "mod" is only valuable if you intend to keep the car more than a few years. But if you keep the car a while you can save replacing a battery every 2-3 years and, if used all the time, change that to changing the battery every 7 years. That will save the cost of the Battery Tender.

BTW, you might want to start by reading the Owner's Manual https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tte_owners.pdf. That will save you the cost of plugs and wires by informing you that GM thinks the plugs should last 160K miles not 26 and the wiring may last even longer. Or you could just start throwing money at this car changing to the latest greatest snake-oil plugs and wires and then, when the car starts performing worse, come back and we can tell you about how GM engineers DO know their business.
The Following User Says Thank You to FortMorganAl For This Useful Post:
c5arlen (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:17 AM
GRCTampa
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan View Post
I recommend putting a cover in the center console if you put electronics in there. Also the drink holder. Both tend to get warm and Top Flight Reproductions sells some cheap (in price) kits that work.

The insulation kit for the center console and drink holder is surprisingly effective. If you’re going to store anything in the console (cellphone, charger, mini flashlight, etc) you’ll be glad you have this.
http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvet...products.shtml

Enjoy the ride and post some pictures!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl View Post
Finally a good answer. The battery tender is the only thing the factory seems to have missed because they made it an option and not standard.

You will see lots of other answers from people who have bought snake-oil products and have a psychological issue acknowledging they just wasted money. There are NO "must-do" additions to these cars. The factory spent a lot of time and money getting them right from the start. Until you start spending thousands, any performance mods are worthless. Appearance mods are subjective. The Battery Tender "mod" is only valuable if you intend to keep the car more than a few years. But if you keep the car a while you can save replacing a battery every 2-3 years and, if used all the time, change that to changing the battery every 7 years. That will save the cost of the Battery Tender.

BTW, you might want to start by reading the Owner's Manual https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tte_owners.pdf. That will save you the cost of plugs and wires by informing you that GM thinks the plugs should last 160K miles not 26 and the wiring may last even longer. Or you could just start throwing money at this car changing to the latest greatest snake-oil plugs and wires and then, when the car starts performing worse, come back and we can tell you about how GM engineers DO know their business.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM
GrandSportRob
CF Senior Member

I agree with changing the fluids but the plugs and wires should be fine till 100k miles. Alignment is also key since the factory setting is too aggressive and wears the tires quickly. Other than that the GS is a beast!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Oh Boy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan View Post
I recommend putting a cover in the center console if you put electronics in there.
Originally Posted by GRCTampa View Post

The insulation kit for the center console is surprisingly effective.
http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvet...products.shtml
Funny, the first thing I did was buy this for my car. On a hot summer day with the air on after 15 minutes of driving I always get the IPOD error message: Temperature! Ipod needs to cool down before using. And if you pick it up you cannot hold it, the metal is that hot. Me personally I would not endorse this product.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Not So Fast
CF Senior Member

No need to get exotic right off the bat, fluids for sure, alignment and for the tunnel heat here is the no frills, wont break the bank fix and it definitely works
NSF
https://specialty-auto-materials.net...e-heat-shield/
Old 02-25-2018, 03:23 PM
Grand Sport Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder View Post
if you are going to change plugs and wires... be sure to change the belts and water pump and shocks and engine coolant and the tire pressure sensors. --

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GS Owner....Need suggestions!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: