C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ultimate Stereo for new C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bisley444
Folks,
like the original poster, I’m also looking for a HU for my 2006 convertible, however, I’m hoping to find a unit that does not require modifying the bezel. Any suggestions on a unit that is a clean fit?

Regards,
Joe

This is what one looks like installed, this particular one is the Pioneer AVIC-8201 NEX, as you can see no bezel modification needed, just the Metra face plate that's needed that screws into existing holes. You can find it here. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120953...-Dash-Kit.html

Old 03-23-2018, 03:29 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
This is what I put in mine, it'll do everything you want and then some. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...n/AVIC-8201NEX
I noticed Pioneer NEX models stick out at the bottom. I think, I'd like the flush (top to bottom) look.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:30 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by madsonp
This is what one looks like installed, this particular one is the Pioneer AVIC-8201 NEX, as you can see no bezel modification needed, just the Metra face plate that's needed that screws into existing holes. You can find it here. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120953...-Dash-Kit.html

Nice, but sticks out at the bottom....
Old 03-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I noticed Pioneer NEX models stick out at the bottom. I think, I'd like the flush (top to bottom) look.
This was one of the reasons I went with Kenwood. It sits flush when off, and adjusts to your personal setting once powered up.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This was one of the reasons I went with Kenwood. It sits flush when off, and adjusts to your personal setting once powered up.

It looks like it sticks out at the bottom - not only when it's on, but that's just the design.

Can the Pioneer Nex guys shed some light on ths?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:44 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

It looks like it sticks out at the bottom - not only when it's on, but that's just the design.

Yep, that's the design of it, there's no change of it being on or off. I think it looks good myself, if you want to see what the unit looks like for yourself, go to Best Buy and take a look at one.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I'll snap a couple of pics of my Kenwood today while I'm out continuing with my annual full detail with it both in the powered down mode and at my personal setting. I'll post them later this afternoon.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:19 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I happened to be out in the garage. This is the 9902s.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 PM
Xvoyager
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio56
You should build your system on the Crutchfield website. Then buy it on the Crutchfield website. They are the best bunch of folks out there for car stereo and supporting them keeps them in business to keep doing the good work they do. Their prices can be as competitive as those on Amazon and other discount places but one of the best reasons to buy from them is that you will get free tech support for the life of your product. And their customer support is second to none.

I am not affiliated in any way to their business. I am just a fan of their customer support.
++ Customer support!!!
Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I'll snap a couple of pics of my Kenwood today while I'm out continuing with my annual full detail with it both in the powered down mode and at my personal setting. I'll post them later this afternoon.
Figured I'd post these while I'm waiting for the wax to dry. The first two are with the stereo on, the second two are the retract position when the car is turned off. The radio has seven different incline settings so you can adjust to your personal preference.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 03-24-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

How difficult is it to install one of these head units and backup cameras in the C6 for someone with very limited experience? When ordering from Crutchfield do they include instructions to help with the process?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyboyZR1
How difficult is it to install one of these head units and backup cameras in the C6 for someone with very limited experience? When ordering from Crutchfield do they include instructions to help with the process?
YouTube and Crutchfield have multiple very good how-to install videos. Spend a few nights watching and see if it’s something you want to try. It’s really not to difficult when you can watch a step by step video while you are actually doing it. Crutchfield has really good customer service.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:15 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Figured I'd post these while I'm waiting for the wax to dry. The first two are with the stereo on, the second two are the retract position when the car is turned off. The radio has seven different incline settings so you can adjust to your personal preference.

I like the 2nd LAST pic the best for position. I like it Flush. Overall, looks nice. What model is it? What do you have this hooked up to? Ex- aftermarket speakers/OEM, amps...yes/no? Front/Rear cameras? Android/Apple play, Etc?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2018, 04:31 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I like the 2nd LAST pic the best for position. I like it Flush. Overall, looks nice. What model is it? What do you have this hooked up to? Ex- aftermarket speakers/OEM, amps...yes/no? Front/Rear cameras? Android/Apple play, Etc?

Thanks!
I installed a Kenwood several years back & have been thinking of up grading to a newer version. Really like the looks this one & interested in the model number as well
Old 03-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the pioneer NEX. It’s flush and looks at home there. I did the speakers and a pair of amps....I’m a 16 year old kid again every time the stereo comes on. Very user friendly nav and operation.

The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 01:14 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Are the OEM nav units different year by year? I have a 2012 and have the interior gutted right now and thinking of a new HU.

What 2012 OEM functions would be lost, if any, in a new HU?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

^ ^ I like the vent bezels and around the control buttons on the dash.... Where's a decent place to get these?

The thing I seem to like about Kenwood is that that the buttons are at the bottom (and usually flush) - giving the screen a "Wide-screen" affect.

Although it seems Pioneer NEX is easier to install and operate, and they look good. I'm still on the fence about their location of buttons, and how the bottom sticks out on some. I'll have to see in person to see if I'll like the "Unflush" look...
Old 03-25-2018, 01:33 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

It's not hard to remove the OEM head unit. Once it's out you'll find it easy to reinstall witch ever HU you chose. Remove HVAC controls then the HU. Of course remove the bezel first.
http://csgbenefits.org/C6_Console_and_Radio_Removal.pdf
Attached Images  

Last edited by jeffs64; 03-25-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: My Ultimate Stereo for new C6