C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st thing I dislike on my C6........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 1st thing I dislike on my C6........

Dont get me wrong...
I love my 05 6sp/ conv and it took 6 weeks of ownership to find the 1st thing I don't like about the car and it's a small thing, but at the same time it's been frustrating..........Having the gas cap/ door on the drivers side instead of the passenger side is a pain in the rear. Most gas stations have cement or metal poles to protect their pumps which make it easy to ding your door when you get out to pump the gas. It happened tonight to me but fortunately it didn't do any damage to the door that I can see. I have to remember to park further away from the pump so the door clears the pole. I remember 40 years ago when I had my C2 how nice it was to have the gas cap in the middle of the back and how beautiful the gas cap door was........I think after tonight I will remember to park far away from the pump.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 PM
stsouldier
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Interesting

Come on man. When I read the title, I was expecting to read, rattles, hard to get in&out, garbage interior or uncomfortable seats. That cant be your only gripe.

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Dont get me wrong...
I love my 05 6sp/ conv and it took 6 weeks of ownership to find the 1st thing I don't like about the car and it's a small thing, but at the same time it's been frustrating..........Having the gas cap/ door on the drivers side instead of the passenger side is a pain in the rear. Most gas stations have cement or metal poles to protect their pumps which make it easy to ding your door when you get out to pump the gas. It happened tonight to me but fortunately it didn't do any damage to the door that I can see. I have to remember to park further away from the pump so the door clears the pole. I remember 40 years ago when I had my C2 how nice it was to have the gas cap in the middle of the back and how beautiful the gas cap door was........I think after tonight I will remember to park far away from the pump.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 11:43 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Originally Posted by stsouldier
Come on man. When I read the title, I was expecting to read, rattles, hard to get in&out, garbage interior or uncomfortable seats. That cant be your only gripe.
Really.......that's my only gripe so far. Before this Vette I had an 02 Porsche Boxster S. Talk about garbage interior, hard to get in/out and uncomfortable seats.........forgetaboutit.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

My only problem with which side of the car the gas cap/door is on is that I fill up the gas tank to both my car and my wife's car. My car has it on the driver's side, my wife's car has it on the passenger side. Gotta remember which car I'm driving and which side it's on.

Never bothered me having it on the driver's side with any of the 5 C6s I had.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:11 AM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

The gas door thing is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.....I WILL NOT buy a car where the gas fill is on the passenger side. This the United States, we drive on right, therefore pull up to the right of the pumps. When I stop for gas, I want to pull up, jump out, pump gas, and jump back in so I can leave.......going allllll the way around (potentially in the rain or cold) sucks.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

What model year Vettes had the door in the middle of the back end of the car? I think my C2 did, not sure about my C4.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:01 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

I have never in 48 years owned a car or a truck where the gas filler is on the right. To me having it on the right seems really stupid. I'd have to walk alllllllll the way around the car and then back again.

Gas fillers on the right are reserved for cheap imports.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:16 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

My 2000 Mustang had the filler door on the right. So did our Focus.

You all are right, it's stupid on that side. Maybe there was something toxic in the air where the Ford engineers worked?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:43 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

FYI that little arrow next to the gas pump symbol on your gauges reminds you what side of the car the gas cap is on. You'd be surprised how many people don't know this exists.
Landru (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

My C3 had it dead center in the back deck...use what ever side you want.
Landru (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:53 AM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
What model year Vettes had the door in the middle of the back end of the car? I think my C2 did, not sure about my C4.
C2 63-67 for sure.....
Old 03-03-2018, 01:56 AM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTs 58
I have never in 48 years owned a car or a truck where the gas filler is on the right. To me having it on the right seems really stupid. I'd have to walk alllllllll the way around the car and then back again.

Gas fillers on the right are reserved for cheap imports.
My wife's PT Loser (Cruiser) convertible and my 04 MB E320 both have it on the passenger side.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:19 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Dont get me wrong...

:rof l:
Old 03-03-2018, 04:20 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Find this funny as hell, since all modern gas gauges are marked with what side the gas door/filler is on which side of the car, it took you 6 weeks to just notice it now.

As for the gas door/filler being on the left, works fine for me, since the rest of my vehicles have the gas fill on the left hand side as well.

Truth is the vet is a small car to begin with, so no reason to crowd the pump in the first place. Plus if you have to fling the door all the way open to get in and out of the vet, you just have not yet masters the vet roll for getting in and out of the car isntead.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:25 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

My only problem with which side of the car the gas cap/door is on is that I fill up the gas tank to both my car and my wife's car. My car has it on the driver's side, my wife's car has it on the passenger side. Gotta remember which car I'm driving and which side it's on.

Never bothered me having it on the driver's side with any of the 5 C6s I had.
It's on the right on my Camaro & wife's Traverse, on the left on the Vette ... Have to take a second when I start to pull in to fill up as well.

C2's - C4s had them in the center, moved to the left with the C5s.

One thing I do like about having the filler on the right is several of the stations where I fill up at on my frequent trips to visit family are 'one way'. We normally take either the Camaro or Traverse; can't count the number of times there are lines on the right side of pumps and the left sides have been open ... pull right in, fill up & back on the road while other's are still waiting.

Last edited by Welker1; 03-03-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:01 AM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
FYI that little arrow next to the gas pump symbol on your gauges reminds you what side of the car the gas cap is on. You'd be surprised how many people don't know this exists.
Thing is if I take the time to figure out which gauge is for the gas I might as well just get out and look for the gas door.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
My 2000 Mustang had the filler door on the right. So did our Focus.

You all are right, it's stupid on that side. Maybe there was something toxic in the air where the Ford engineers worked?

Our daughter's 2002 Taurus has it on the right side. It also doesn't have the little arrow next to the gas gauge. The fuel fill should be on the left side, since no manufacturer seems to put it in the middle rear of the car any more.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st thing I dislike on my C6........

Old 03-03-2018, 07:46 AM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

I am glad that you only have one complaint and seem to be enjoying the car. Be thankful no damage to the door too. Our doors are long so give yourself additional space.

Give the kid next door 50 bucks set a 15 minute time limit and he/she will gladly go fill it up for you. They come back with a big smile, tank is full and you can now care less where the gas door is located.

Cant wait until we go electric and then it will be where the plug is located and what color cord to use black for regular , red for plus and blue for premium.
This forum is always a great place for information and fun things to share.

Last edited by ontime; 03-03-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 AM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

We actually prefer the filler door on the driver's side. Seems easier to line up. It did take a few trips to learn not to get too close to the pump.

We trudge on.
myfunz (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:20 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMow
The gas door thing is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.....I WILL NOT buy a car where the gas fill is on the passenger side. This the United States, we drive on right, therefore pull up to the right of the pumps. When I stop for gas, I want to pull up, jump out, pump gas, and jump back in so I can leave.......going allllll the way around (potentially in the rain or cold) sucks.
Our Ford and Buick, the filler is on the passenger side, our Mazda, on the drivers side... Go figure.

Quick Reply: 1st thing I dislike on my C6........