C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from private seller long distance

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 PM
RynosaurRex
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying from private seller long distance

Are there companies that you can send the money to, and they will facilitate the purchase so you know you will get the car? I can find a shipper, so that's not an issue, I just want to make sure I don't send someone money for a car, and they just don't send me the car or let the shipper pick it up.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:24 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Where are you located? Where is the car located? Pre purchase inspection? Exchange of car service records or VIN to have your local dealer check?
The following users liked this post:
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:27 PM
RynosaurRex
Navigator

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Where are you located? Where is the car located? Pre purchase inspection? Exchange of car service records or VIN to have your local dealer check?
I'm in Nebraska. The car doesn't say exactly where, but it's 1100 miles away (cars.com only shows the miles away, not the location). I do plan to have a pre purchase inspection, but I'm more concerned about me sending the seller the money and them just not sending me the car.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:29 PM
RynosaurRex
Navigator

Basically I'm looking if there are companies that will handle the exchange of the money and take possession of the car until the shipper picks it up to bring it to me.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A plane ticket is cheap insurance...
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:33 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

You should protect your investment and fly out and drive it home if it really meets your needs...That definitely is putting too much trust in a stranger. It's a little different with a business that can offer guarantees.
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:37 PM
RynosaurRex
Navigator

Yeah, that's true. I'm leaning toward that at this point. I just wanted to see if companies that do that happen to exist.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

There should be auto brokers that could do what you are seeking for a fee. The plane ticket would most likely cost you less and you are assured you aren’t getting the true “pig in a poke” if you drive the car yourself prior to purchase. Consider the expenses of the drive home to be less than a transport would cost you. AND you have a lot more fun.

As far as payment arrange in advance with your bank for a wire transfer to the seller’s bank. Go to the seller’s bank together for that transaction. Have the seller bring the title with him/her so the bank can Notarize the signatures on the bill of sale at the same time to avoid any potential DMV issues when you get home.

Make sure your insurance provider knows when you take possession of the car.

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 03-10-2018 at 02:56 PM.
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you don't want to drive home, arrange to meet the shipping company at the time of transaction. Just a thought.
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:08 PM
RynosaurRex
Navigator

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
There should be auto brokers that could do what you are seeking for a fee. The plane ticket would most likely cost you less and you are assured you aren’t getting the true “pig in a poke” if you drive the car yourself prior to purchase. Consider the expenses of the drive home to be less than a transport would cost you. AND you have a lot more fun.

As far as payment arrange in advance with your bank for a wire transfer to the seller’s bank. Go to the seller’s bank together for that transaction. Have the seller bring the title with him/her so the bank can Notarize the signatures on the bill of sale at the same time to avoid any potential DMV issues when you get home.

Make sure your insurance provider knows when you take possession of the car.
Thanks for the reply! Auto brokers might be what I'm looking for, I'll check into that. If I don't have to travel across the country to get my car, I'd prefer that, but I hear you on getting a first hand test drive. I'm going to be getting an inspection done, and these cars are pretty reliable, so I will definitely look into a broker. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM
RynosaurRex
Navigator

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
If you don't want to drive home, arrange to meet the shipping company at the time of transaction. Just a thought.
Not a bad idea either. Got a few ideas to run with now. Appreciate all the input guys!
Old 03-10-2018, 03:22 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Some middleman will have u sign a waiver if he makes a mistake. Lol,
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by RynosaurRex
I'm in Nebraska. The car doesn't say exactly where, but it's 1100 miles away (cars.com only shows the miles away, not the location). I do plan to have a pre purchase inspection, but I'm more concerned about me sending the seller the money and them just not sending me the car.
Find out where the thing is first.

For preliminary pre-purchase inspection, do a search for a mechanic or independent Corvette shop in the area where the thing is located, arrange with them to pay for your own inspection by them. That might save a plane ticket if the thing isn't as advertised.

A plane ticket might be cheaper than escrow fees. It also depends on how much you value your own time. For other long distance transactions, I've used Escrow.com. They offer their service for car purchases, but I've never done that through them. Check https://www.escrow.com/cars for details. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a customer who has used them for some other transactions.
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Side note: I bought a 1970 El Camino SS a few years back from Wisconsin, sent money for car, had to wait like 5 days for it to get here and when it did I was relieved greatly that it made it in one piece. Come to find out that at a truck stop on the I-40 & Hwy 95 they had another trucker forget to set his brakes or some stupid stuff, he rolled into another truck that was fueling and caught fire, my truck had just pulled out.
Can you imagine the red tape I would have been in and no car or money
So you have every right to be nervous
Good luck
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 PM
RynosaurRex
Navigator

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Side note: I bought a 1970 El Camino SS a few years back from Wisconsin, sent money for car, had to wait like 5 days for it to get here and when it did I was relieved greatly that it made it in one piece. Come to find out that at a truck stop on the I-40 & Hwy 95 they had another trucker forget to set his brakes or some stupid stuff, he rolled into another truck that was fueling and caught fire, my truck had just pulled out.
Can you imagine the red tape I would have been in and no car or money
So you have every right to be nervous
Good luck
Mine will probably get hit by a shark from a sharknado on the way here, but that's a worry for another day
Old 03-10-2018, 07:53 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

I have asked friends/acquaintances to look at faraway cars for me, but only to rule it out. If it came down to a purchase, I'd have to fly out in person.
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 08:47 PM
Moman01
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

There are escrow services out there for purchasing cars from out of state buyers,I looked into one when I bought mine but decided to drive the 14 hours instead
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Buying from private seller long distance

Old 03-10-2018, 09:21 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I sold my C3 to a person in Australia. He had a guy come out with a trailer and the cash.
He hired this co to drive 700 miles and look at the car. Take it for a drive and make sure all safety equipment worked and pulled it on the trailer.

Took 20 minutes.
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've used escrow.com for about $1K worth of wheels. Worked very well.
RynosaurRex (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by RynosaurRex
Thanks for the reply! Auto brokers might be what I'm looking for, I'll check into that. If I don't have to travel across the country to get my car, I'd prefer that, but I hear you on getting a first hand test drive. I'm going to be getting an inspection done, and these cars are pretty reliable, so I will definitely look into a broker. Thanks!
Across Country It's only 1100 miles...That is only a drive across Texas....Fly to wherever it is and have a nice drive home and you will save yourself some headaches and a few hundred bucks..Good Luck

Quick Reply: Buying from private seller long distance