C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camero hood vent install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Camaro hood vent install questions

So my next project is installing the Camaro hood vent in my 08 narrow body. I know it's been successfully installed by some and the million dollar question is the specific location? Of course centered, and on the hood,, I don't need help there but if anyone has installed one successfully and could share the measurements I would greatly appreciate them! Plus some do's and don't ,, not trying to re invent the wheel! Thanks everybody!

I've even have a Z06 hood to use if that helps, not sure quite yet if the hood is even different in any way, maybe taller in the middle etc...?

Last edited by Lee Cromwell; 12-12-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 12-11-2017, 07:10 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

I did it successfully a while back. I like the simpler the better. Here is what I did.

I made a template with the box the vent came in. cut it out and test fit to make sure the vent fits just right in the hole. I added some tape where i overcut the cardboard so when i traced on the hood i wouldn't trace an overcut.

get two pieces of string and make an "X" on the hood taping the string at the far corners. Bottom left to top right and bottom right to top left. If I remember, the top pieces of string actually got taped to the windshield. this gives you the exact center of the hood. Make a mark at the intersection and remove the strings. with a tape measure, find the center of the hood at the top and bottom and run a string from top to bottom making sure it passes over that mark made.

fold your template in half long-ways to find centerline of vent. set on top of string and tape down where you want it. You can pull string out after template is placed. My outside edge finished placement was 7-3/4" to top of hood. So my cut was a little lower than that.

IMO...that is about the best placement....further down and you risk vent hitting the MAF....higher and it looks kinda funny so high up on the hood.

Tape the hood where your jigsaw might scratch the paint on the outside of the vent. Don't need to tape the entire hood. Don't need to mask off the engine bay to protect from dust. don't be afraid to start cutting into your precious hood. Just don't cut too big of a hole. But also don't cut too small of a hole. Not fun to keep trimming it larger.

I got a 48" aluminum flat car to mount underneath. You can cut one bar it into 3 lengths that work. Something like 12, 16, 20 inches equals 48 inches. need to get nuts the fit.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

That's awesome, thank you! I was thinking somewhat the same but wasn't thinking about using string for markers, thanks!! I've installed a sun roof in car long ago and I swear I took like 4 hours making sure it's where you want before that first cut! Once you start no turning back! Actually in my case with the vette I'm not as freaked out, I bought a second hood! If it goes really bad, which it won't, but I have a back up! Thank you so much for your help! I'll post pictures once the cutting begins!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

*Camaro.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

I misspelled Camaro on purpose for entertainment to see how long it would take for someone to correct me, you win the new pair of socks! Hope everyone doesn't beat up on me like the guy who is unfamiliar with the airfilter, almost makes a guy feel unwelcome! Haha, thanks, you're correct, my mistake, didn't want to offend any Camaro owners, I'll try to correct the mistake!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:40 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

This thread is worth the read. Lots of ideas on where to put it and different ways to keep it snug to the hood.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-install.html

This is on my list as well.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Thanks for that info! Haven't seen those yet! Just picked up my 'spare hood' to start cutting on asap!
thank you guys for the help!
Old 12-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
I misspelled Camaro on purpose for entertainment to see how long it would take for someone to correct me, you win...

Old 12-12-2017, 12:55 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
This thread is worth the read. Lots of ideas on where to put it and different ways to keep it snug to the hood.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-install.html

This is on my list as well.
another thread that may take you awhile to get through:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-further.html
Old 12-12-2017, 03:27 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

just checked out the old post on this hood vent... Kind of looks out of place on a corvette.. maybe if it was painted body color it might not look as bad, but to me.. it doesn't "fit" the car.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Old 12-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

All done! Looks great, looks much better in person, photos don't do it justice, should have been on it from the start! Anyone want info, I took great notes, it's a simple install, my hardest thing was making tape stick to my hood! Buzz if you want info! Thanks everyone for their input!

Last edited by Lee Cromwell; 12-18-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

All done! Looks great, looks much better in person, photos don't do it justice, should have been on it from the start! Anyone want info, I took great notes, it's a simple install, my hardest thing was making take stick to my hood! Buzz if you want info! Thanks everyone for their input!
It looks TERRIFIC Lee, if I wasnt chicken to cut a hole in my otherwise perfect hood I would do it
GOOD JOB
NSF
Old 12-18-2017, 03:40 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I just purchased my vents the passed weekend. I'm also adding vents on both sides of the hood. Not sure if I will leave them black or paint them Machine Silver to match the car.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:45 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Hood vents

All done! Looks great, looks much better in person, photos don't do it justice, should have been on it from the start! Anyone want info, I took great notes, it's a simple install, my hardest thing was making take stick to my hood! Buzz if you want info! Thanks everyone for their input!
I'll take any tips you got. I already ordered my hood vent the past weekend and also found some side vents that complement it.

Last edited by itomh; 12-18-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by itomh
I'll take any tips you got. I already ordered my hood vent the past weekend and also found some side vents that complement it.
Do you worry about the structural integrity cutting so many holes in it ??
NSF
Old 12-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

It might...might be weaker if you left the hole but putting the vent in the cut out and then bracing that, I highly doubt it'll have any affect,, maybe a little but I haven't noticed any thing different. You can actually see the heat escape even though I mainly did mine for looks.

Get notified of new replies

To Camero hood vent install questions

Old 12-18-2017, 05:05 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks good!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:10 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

OP, that looks great!

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Do you worry about the structural integrity cutting so many holes in it ??
NSF
I'm not overly concerned about structural integrity, but I can say that I see the hood flexing slightly around the vent (I just have the single Camaro vent) when I close the hood.

I can also say that I personally saw zero real difference in operating temps from the vent. I had hoped it would help it run cooler. However you can certainly see heat pouring out on a cool day.

​​​​​​​One aspect that I didn't expect is that I can hear the clicks and clacks of the engine more.

The last thing I can say is that I think it looks bad *** and I'm glad I did it.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Itomh, I can give you my input but it'll be way different if you're doing the side vents too. The main thing is common sense, take your time, measure it like twenty times to make sure it's centered etc. I actually have a spare hood I got from vengeance racing, same color eventhing so I wasn't nervous at all, if i screwed the pooch I'd just have aborted and kept regular hood on. So I was able to cut and install the vent on the hood on garage floor not mounted on the car, this made it much easier but I would Not take the hood off to do it other wise. It cuts like butter, I used a 3 inch cut off wheel and then just a hack saw blade for the last inch or so at the corners. I made double dam sure to cut the hole smaller than needed knowing I'd sand the hole big enough for it to fit. I have a DA air sander that made sanding a breeze but even without an auto sander it'll sand easily. There's like a dozen different mounting methods and I'll post mine to who ever wants it, I thought it through and my brackets should be patented. This is just like any mod, take your time and when your finished all you'll do is KICK yourself for not doing it earlier, all my miles driven without this were waisted! If I were to do it all over again, I could do the entire project in a couple of hours I bet.

Quick Reply: Camero hood vent install questions