C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car completely died, came back, and died again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Car completely died, came back, and died again...

Was driving along, all good and the power completely died. Everything went dead immediately without any warning. I pulled over - checked the battery cables (wiggled them) and all seemed tight. i got back in the car power was there and it started right up. I turned around and headed back home when the same thing happened again. Again, went and wiggled the cables, started the car and drove back home.
This seems like either a bad battery or a bad wire but the cables seem fine. Anybody else ever deal with this and what are your recommendations? (The car is an 06 with 118000 miles but always garaged and taken care of.)

Now I'm nervous to drive it...
Old 02-24-2018, 05:24 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Car Quits

Originally Posted by webdzynes
Was driving along, all good and the power completely died. Everything went dead immediately without any warning. I pulled over - checked the battery cables (wiggled them) and all seemed tight. i got back in the car power was there and it started right up. I turned around and headed back home when the same thing happened again. Again, went and wiggled the cables, started the car and drove back home.
This seems like either a bad battery or a bad wire but the cables seem fine. Anybody else ever deal with this and what are your recommendations? (The car is an 06 with 118000 miles but always garaged and taken care of.)

Now I'm nervous to drive it...
These cars have known to have bad grounds. Also check Main Fuses under hood Fuse box. last are you sure it lost ignition might fuel pump/pressure even low oil pressure can shut it down. Scan it for codes. Was there a check engine light. Hope you can find it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:27 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

You said you wiggled the wires and they seemed all right. Were they tight, as in not moving at all? Have the cables been off recently and were the cone nuts put back on?
Old 02-24-2018, 05:38 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jeffs64
These cars have known to have bad grounds. Also check Main Fuses under hood Fuse box. last are you sure it lost ignition might fuel pump/pressure even low oil pressure can shut it down. Scan it for codes. Was there a check engine light. Hope you can find it.
There were no codes at all. The car was fine then completely died. When I checked the cables, nothing at all was loose but then the car started fine. I drove for about 5 minutes and then it all repeated. Started it again and am now home.

All the cables 'seem' tight (from the top of the engine bay anyway...). The battery is only a year old so it too should be fine. If the connection went bad causing it to die and my 'wiggling' it restored it momentarily, would that indicate any kind of code, even when all is good when I check it on the innova scanner?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:06 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default Could be bad ground

There were no codes at all. The car was fine then completely died. When I checked the cables, nothing at all was loose but then the car started fine. I drove for about 5 minutes and then it all repeated. Started it again and am now home.

All the cables 'seem' tight (from the top of the engine bay anyway...). The battery is only a year old so it too should be fine. If the connection went bad causing it to die and my 'wiggling' it restored it momentarily, would that indicate any kind of code, even when all is good when I check it on the innova scanner?
Just to be clear are you losing engine power but the electrical system is still on. Or are you losing the electrical systems. A bad ground would let the car die.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default No codes

If your not getting any codes. It really could be anything. Usually if there's a something wrong the check engine light will come on Or some codes would be present.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:12 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Just to be clear are you losing engine power but the electrical system is still on. Or are you losing the electrical systems. A bad ground would let the car die.
Thats good to know. I loose everything. Completely dead. When I wiggled the wires, both times the 'connection was back and all was fine - until it died again...
Old 02-24-2018, 06:14 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

(i.e. - no dash, no lights, nothing - then it would all be fine after lightly wiggling the cables - until it died yet again...)
Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default Sounds like bad ground

(i.e. - no dash, no lights, nothing - then it would all be fine after lightly wiggling the cables - until it died yet again...)
It still sounds like a bad ground. Or just a lose connection. Hope you can chase it down. I feel for you on this one.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Sounds like a intermittent shorted battery or bad terminal. Get it tested.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

A couple of things point to it being either a bad ground or lose/bad connection/wire versus a bad battery or alternator. Normally a running vehicle will not lose all power and stop running due to a bad/weak battery (bad alternator, yes). If the battery or alternator were bad, you wouldn't be able to restart the vehicle by simply giggling the wires. Good luck tracing it down
Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

If a bad ground, is the check just on the battery terminal and where the cable is ground to the car? (in other words, just check those 2 locations)?

If it were a bad POSITIVE cable, could that cause the same scenario and how difficult is that to check/replace?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:23 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

If a bad ground, is the check just on the battery terminal and where the cable is ground to the car? (in other words, just check those 2 locations)?

No, multiple ground locations depending upon the circuitry, but always good to start initially at the negative battery cable first...............

If it were a bad POSITIVE cable, could that cause the same scenario and how difficult is that to check/replace?
possibly could cause it too and the check would involve measuring the continuity of the wiring (resistance) using an Ohm meter under various operating conditions..........
Old 02-24-2018, 10:24 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default Bad Ground

Originally Posted by Welker1
A couple of things point to it being either a bad ground or lose/bad connection/wire versus a bad battery or alternator. Normally a running vehicle will not lose all power and stop running due to a bad/weak battery (bad alternator, yes). If the battery or alternator were bad, you wouldn't be able to restart the vehicle by simply giggling the wires. Good luck tracing it down

to webdzynes
You need understand that if your alternator is good your car would keep running with dead or weak battery. But a bad ground will kill the ignition/car. There are many grounds but you say if you (wiggle) the battery cable it starts again I would start with the battery ground cable. Work your way from there. Also have the battery checked anyway can't hurt also the alternator. If the alternator has a bad diode it would act like a bad ground. this would show up in an alternator test.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:10 PM
Aliquantus
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I just had a very similar issue. I took off the battery cables and found a lot of corrosion underneath not visible without taking them off. Cleaned them and the battery posts and the problem is completely gone.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 AM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Symtoms sound similar to friend's 08 Z06; investigated all normal suspect electrical sources; turned out to be PCM going bad.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 AM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

to webdzynes
You need understand that if your alternator is good your car would keep running with dead or weak battery. But a bad ground will kill the ignition/car. There are many grounds but you say if you (wiggle) the battery cable it starts again I would start with the battery ground cable. Work your way from there. Also have the battery checked anyway can't hurt also the alternator. If the alternator has a bad diode it would act like a bad ground. this would show up in an alternator test.
Not true! You need a good battery for the engine to run!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Car completely died, came back, and died again...

Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 AM
webdzynes
Safety Car

What would you guys guess I can expect to pay to have a chevy mechanic check for these things? The positive cable looks like it gets buried underneath the engine... (I'm not well versed in this stuff..)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:13 AM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you have a digital meter? check voltage drop from the battery post to the cable end. Cables do just disappear under engine. It is a two man/woman job to route cables.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:53 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default Dead battery

I’m retired from the auto parts business. 35 Year’s I’ve sold over 11.000 battieries in the last ten years at my two stores. Tested many of them. If the battery has dead short. It could and would kill the car. Other wise the alternator will provide enough power to keep the car running.

Quick Reply: Car completely died, came back, and died again...