C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financing deals

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 PM
2012widebody
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Beny
Only C6 GS currently at corvette world are automatic.
Well call and talk to Eddie. Tell him what you want and see what happens. All you have to do is plant the seed.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 PM
2012widebody
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sarchione Ford: 2012 GS 3LT, 1 owner, perfect Carfax, 13k miles. $40k.
2012 3LT has choice bells and whistles.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:30 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Squeeze the cat a little more and go for this...
2013 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...searchRadius=0
Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I got 2.18% for 60 months at Delta Community Crédit Union in Atlanta. You don't have to work for Delta to be a member.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:11 AM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

On all of the major sites..I'm not looking ir a high mileage car. Under 20k.

So, where the hell should i be looking for these deals you're referring to?

One thing that I learned when shopping for my Corvette was that prices vary a lot depending on location. In my neck of the woods, the prices seemed higher than what everyone else was saying was a good price. I wanted to stay fairly local and not make the experience a road trip.

Everyone thinks that prices are too high when they're buying and too low when they're selling...

Join a credit union, put as much down as you're comfortable with, finance the rest, and please.... drive the car!!! Buy some guy's garage queen and put it to use!!! It's going to depreciate anyways so, enjoy it!!!

I bought a 10 year old, 30K mile, 3LT, Z51, convertible... I love it and drive it whenever I can!

Good luck in your search..
The following users liked this post:
tdf01cycling (03-15-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:28 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ErikR
One thing that I learned when shopping for my Corvette was that prices vary a lot depending on location.
I disagree. Sure, there are a couple examples here and there that are completely off the charts, but overall there is very little difference by location if you're talking about metropolitan areas.

If you're truly in the middle of nowhere then there's a very small sample size and it can't be considered.

Last edited by 919cw313; 03-13-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Borrow it from your 401k and pay yourself the interest.
Terrible advice.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I have never done it but I know others at work have. They say you pay yourself back interest at around 8%.
It sounds ok, but, if you leave the higher balance in the 401k, and earn 5%, compounded, and then get the cheap rate of 2.5% through the credit union, you will be far ahead. Once you lose the earnings off your 401K, and then pay 8%, you pay more interest for your car, and then it takes 4-5 years to get your balance back to where it was in the 401K.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:45 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
401K? As others have said; horrible advice.

Borrowing money period is horrible advice. I didn't know this was the sound advice thread.

Truly the best advice is to save your money and buy when you have cash. The money as you save will grow too. There are plenty of savings accounts out there that pay 3.5-5% which will get you to your goal faster. Just think though, you are going to lose out on all of that compound interest that your money could keep making if you don't buy the car.....

At 3% interest, you would save nearly $1700 by paying cash rather than borrowing. That's not even counting the money you will make off of your money while saving for it.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 PM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
Borrowing money period is horrible advice. I didn't know this was the sound advice thread.

Truly the best advice is to save your money and buy when you have cash. The money as you save will grow too. There are plenty of savings accounts out there that pay 3.5-5% which will get you to your goal faster. Just think though, you are going to lose out on all of that compound interest that your money could keep making if you don't buy the car.....

At 3% interest, you would save nearly $1700 by paying cash rather than borrowing. That's not even counting the money you will make off of your money while saving for it.

Just curious where those are??
Old 03-13-2018, 06:09 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

These were the highest I found through Google. Call your bank. Most have something like this but may not pay as much. Still worth a look. Usually it is the online banks with the best rates.

Consumer Credit Union rewards checking, pays a 5.09%.

Northpointe Bank’s Ultimate Checking account pays 4.89%.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

These were the highest I found through Google. Call your bank. Most have something like this but may not pay as much. Still worth a look. Usually it is the online banks with the best rates.

Consumer Credit Union rewards checking, pays a 5.09%.

Northpointe Bank’s Ultimate Checking account pays 4.89%.
These are very restrictive “teasers” to get your business. One allows a max of $20,000 the other a max of $10,000 in the high interest program. One stipulates $1,000 a month in Visa card use, the other 15 debit uses a month. They require direct deposit minimums each month, auto bill pay and on and on. Those were the requirements I understood after looking for 2 minutes. There seemed to be a bunch more down the page. It you don’t meet the minimum requirements each month your interest defaults to .05% I’m taking a wild guess that not many people meet the requirements every month.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fireparamed

These are very restrictive “teasers” to get your business. One allows a max of $20,000 the other a max of $10,000 in the high interest program. One stipulates $1,000 a month in Visa card use, the other 15 debit uses a month. They require direct deposit minimums each month, auto bill pay and on and on. Those were the requirements I understood after looking for 2 minutes. There seemed to be a bunch more down the page. It you don’t meet the minimum requirements each month your interest defaults to .05% I’m taking a wild guess that not many people meet the requirements every month.

Well of course they are. I played them quite often before putting my trust in a financial advisor. You have to go through the many and see which ones are easy and likely already a part of your life. Like the Visa 1k. I don't know anyone who doesn't spend well beyond that a month. Cha-ching, got that one. I think a person with little effort could save big if they needed 60+ mos. to save the money.

I just play credit card companies now. 1.5-5% off of everything/Miles Haha.. Buy everything you can with the card and pay it off before the end of the billing cycle.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Beny
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure I agree with you. I make a decent living. Single, no kids. Automatic deposits (with matching)every paycheck into retirement account. Still left with a decent amount every month which I have saved religiously for years. Only debt is mortgage and auto lease. I don't spend on vacations, weekend partying, fancy clothes, expensive dinners, or other types of entertainment that most people spend on. I view a 400-500 a month payment (after sizable down payment) on a vette as entertainment. Why would I pay cash? I would prefer to have the cash for emergencies, and potential down payment for investment properties. I'm conservative, but also believe in a balance of saving versus enjoying life today.

Last edited by Beny; 03-13-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 PM
JMoraru
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

With good credit and some assets I'd recommend LightStream https://www.lightstream.com/

Quick response, good rate, they deposit the money directly into your bank account, and you can get an unsecured loan on the vehicle. They're very picky about who they lend to though.
The following users liked this post:
tdf01cycling (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Not sure I agree with you. I make a decent living. Single, no kids. Automatic deposits (with matching)every paycheck into retirement account. Still left with a decent amount every month which I have saved religiously for years. Only debt is mortgage and auto lease. I don't spend on vacations, weekend partying, fancy clothes, expensive dinners, or other types of entertainment that most people spend on. I view a 400-500 a month payment (after sizable down payment) on a vette as entertainment. Why would I pay cash? I would prefer to have the cash for emergencies, and potential down payment for investment properties. I'm conservative, but also believe in a balance of saving versus enjoying life today.
Had a person always paid cash for vehicles and had been saving all along they could pay and play the same day. I am very particular with how much I let banks get me for. Nothing about losing thousands for nothing is entertaining to me. I wasn't saying take every dime of your money and put it into a car. I was just saying that a person should save separately until they could pay cash as that is the most sound financial advice a person could give. You should never dig into your emergency savings for a car.

Guys were turning this into the sound financial advice thread. I thought I would give them what they were looking for. Nothing about borrowing money and paying any interest is sound financial advice to me if we want to get technical about it. No one could argue that in the instance of a toy.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:57 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
For a 13 GS Convertible, the price is about right depending on mileage. For a 10 not as good.

Rates are getting higher everywhere. I wouldn't take it out of the 401K as suggested because most 401k plans should earn 10-20% depending on level of risk, 3% financing is nothing in comparison.
"Most 401k plans are earning 10-20 %" Really? Which ones?

Get notified of new replies

To Financing deals

Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Beny
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a person always paid cash for vehicles and had been saving all along they could pay and play the same day. I am very particular with how much I let banks get me for. Nothing about losing thousands for nothing is entertaining to me. I wasn't saying take every dime of your money and put it into a car. I was just saying that a person should save separately until they could pay cash as that is the most sound financial advice a person could give. You should never dig into your emergency savings for a car.

Guys were turning this into the sound financial advice thread. I thought I would give them what they were looking for. Nothing about borrowing money and paying any interest is sound financial advice to me if we want to get technical about it. No one could argue that in the instance of a toy.
I started the thread asking about current financing deals, but thanks for the money management advice. Armed with this new knowledge, I'm now one step closer to retirement.

Last edited by Beny; 03-14-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
"Most 401k plans are earning 10-20 %" Really? Which ones?
I pulled 14% last quarter with Fidelity.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:25 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

I was over 20% with Voya last year. Medium risk though.

Quick Reply: Financing deals