C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer failed- questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 12:01 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer failed- questions

Started my '06 C6 today, had a belt squeak, noticed it while I was driving. Sounded like air whistling over the roof or something, but it was RPM dependent. I pulled over and looked at the harmonic balancer. It was wobbling about 1/8", and looked like all the videos on youtube.

Questions- can I drive to the mechanic (40 miles) or is there a chance that this will cause further damage?

Is there an aftermarket HB that is commonly used, and approximate price?

Is this a repair that can be done by an indie mechanic, or should I go to a dealer? I have a lift and am moderately experianced, but I think this is beyond my comfort level.

I have heard about $1000 in labor. Is this accurate, or should I expect more?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 12:07 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

You should be able to drive it the 40 miles. Baby it and pull over and shut it down if you hear anything more serious than a squeak...

Common aftermarket replacements are Innovators West and ATI if you want to spend the big bucks. Powerbond as well, is a cheaper option.

I'm actually having mine replaced as well. I have a leak right around the front seal, so I'm going to have my balancer replaced at the same time as the leak gets fixed. My mechanic told me the labor is 6 hours. So $1000 would be high, unless it's a dealer, which is then probably accurate. But a good mechanic should be able to do it in 6 or less hours. Even at $90 an hour, that's only about $540, almost half what you mentioned.

I'm going with the Innovators West for my LS7. I did some website work for my mechanic's company, so he's trading my work for the balancer.

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 03-18-2018 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
I Fly Low (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:08 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
You should be able to drive it the 40 miles. Baby it and pull over and shut it down if you hear anything more serious than a squeak...

Common aftermarket replacements are Innovators West and ATI if you want to spend the big bucks. Powerbond as well, is a cheaper option.

I'm actually having mine replaced as well. I have a leak right around the front seal, so I'm going to have my balancer replaced at the same time as the leak gets fixed. My mechanic told me the labor is 6 hours. So $1000 would be high, unless it's a dealer, which is then probably accurate. But a good mechanic should be able to do it in 6 or less hours. Even at $90 an hour, that's only about $540, almost half what you mentioned.

I'm going with the Innovators West for my LS7. I did some website work for my mechanic's company, so he's trading my work for the balancer.
Thanks for the info. Of course, my mind went straight to worst case, but your info sounded more reasonable. I'll look at the companies you recommended.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:20 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Heck....i've been driving mine with an 1/8 inch wobble now for about 7 years. Not many miles a year, but still don't plan on getting it replaced till it's worse. Or the HB comes through the hood !!....LOL.
I Fly Low (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 AM
SUP54
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there usually a mileage range (ex. 50 - 100,000) that the harmonic balancer tends to fail? I recently (Nov. 2017) purchased a 2007 Corvette with 24,000 miles. No problems on the HB at this time.

SUP54
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SUP54
Is there usually a mileage range (ex. 50 - 100,000) that the harmonic balancer tends to fail? I recently (Nov. 2017) purchased a 2007 Corvette with 24,000 miles. No problems on the HB at this time.

SUP54
Nope...not at all. Been stories around here of them having no issues at 150-K.....and stories of them being bad when they came out of Bowling Green......
Old 03-18-2018, 10:43 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

As said above there are a lot of aftermarket balancers to go with, you don't need the ATI unless you have plans on racing, aftermarket balancers will range from $150.00 to about $400.00 i would go to Summit racing and see what they have i see people here using a Powerbond balancer a lot with no complaints and i wouldn't go to a dealer they will most likely be restricted to using a GM balancer which are known to be problematic and you could find yourself replacing that one as well in the future. you are probably looking at between 9-$1200.00 Also you will need to replace the timing cover seal and a new bolt. I'm sure driving another 40 miles is no problem. However if your visually seeing that balancer not spinning true and hearing the chirping that comes with a bad balancer i would replace it, unlike some i don't want to see that balancer coming through my hood and doing other damage, and i don't want to be stranded on the side of the road either if i can avoid it, others may have their own views but thats JMO. I replaced mine with an ATI last year and i don't miss the annoying chirp that came from a bad balancer, I also get some degree of satisfaction with my vehicles running in top condition, I went with ATI because they offered up some blemished units and the price was pretty good. Good Luck
I Fly Low (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by windyC6
Heck....i've been driving mine with an 1/8 inch wobble now for about 7 years. Not many miles a year, but still don't plan on getting it replaced till it's worse. Or the HB comes through the hood !!....LOL.
I noticed the wobble when I bought the car used, but it never had the belt squeal and the wobble is noticeably worse. I would love to let it go, but I don't think I could enjoy the car if I were always wondering when it would break.

I am a little gun-shy, since my last car was a Porsche with a known bearing issue that lead to a grenaded engine.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:01 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
As said above there are a lot of aftermarket balancers to go with, you don't need the ATI unless you have plans on racing, aftermarket balancers will range from $150.00 to about $400.00 i would go to Summit racing and see what they have i see people here using a Powerbond balancer a lot with no complaints and i wouldn't go to a dealer they will most likely be restricted to using a GM balancer which are known to be problematic and you could find yourself replacing that one as well in the future. you are probably looking at between 9-$1200.00 Also you will need to replace the timing cover seal and a new bolt. I'm sure driving another 40 miles is no problem. However if your visually seeing that balancer not spinning true and hearing the chirping that comes with a bad balancer i would replace it, unlike some i don't want to see that balancer coming through my hood and doing other damage, and i don't want to be stranded on the side of the road either if i can avoid it, others may have their own views but thats JMO. I replaced mine with an ATI last year and i don't miss the annoying chirp that came from a bad balancer, I also get some degree of satisfaction with my vehicles running in top condition, I went with ATI because they offered up some blemished units and the price was pretty good. Good Luck

I've looked at the ATI, and that's what I will probably go with. Thanks for the timing seal advice. I would not have thought about that.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:36 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I had mine replaced with ATI. My mechanic budgeted 7.5 hours, which was fine with me.

From what I've read on this forum, the OEM parts tend to fail again, so aftermarket is better.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

PM sent to OP
Old 03-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,434 Likes on 778 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you DIY the biggest PITA is the steering rack removal. My car is supercharged so I did it myself so I could make sure the crank was pinned and that it would be done right. We have had two club members that had the dealer install and parts and labour was around $1700. One member received a defective balancer that the tech did not catch. The repair lasted 1 day before the wobble was back. Repaired the second time at no charge.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Powerbond P/N: PB1117SS

$222.97 Shipped

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...model/corvette

Need a new Crankshaft Seal and Crank Bolt too
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I just had mine replaced. I went with an SFI rated summit HB. I didn't want the cheapest model but also didn't want to spend more than needed. The reviews were good and spent under 200.00 on the part. I changed the seal, belts and bolt (ARP) since we were in there.

If I ever decide to add a SC, I'm covered.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

There are shops that, over the last 13 years have done quite a few HBs. In which case, their labor charges are pretty low since they now know all the tricks to cut down on time. I've seen sub-$500, but you should expect to pay more.

There is no real time or mileage why some fail early and some w. 100K miles + haven't failed. That said, the ATI, Innovations and Powerbond all get good ratings.

You do have at least one indie shop that probably knows its stuff for the HB, Excelsior in Escondido. I've heard good things about them. Farther out in Murietta is Cunningham Motorsports, also w. a good reputation. Corvette Shop and Top Flight are in-town.
I Fly Low (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I Fly Low
I noticed the wobble when I bought the car used, but it never had the belt squeal and the wobble is noticeably worse. I would love to let it go, but I don't think I could enjoy the car if I were always wondering when it would break.

I am a little gun-shy, since my last car was a Porsche with a known bearing issue that lead to a grenaded engine.
I know how that goes. I feel the same way about the damn A-6 cable issue !!!.....
Old 03-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Powerbond P/N: PB1117SS

$222.97 Shipped

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...model/corvette

Need a new Crankshaft Seal and Crank Bolt too
Did that with new belts also for a total bill of about $900, parts and labor.
Very pleased with the results, and happy that I don't have to lose sleep over it, just do it and get it over with
NSF
PS I forgot that I had to have Summit REPLACE 3 DEFECTIVE units, they finally gave up and admitted they didn't have anymore in any of their warehouses, seems a pallet of them were dropped off a forklift, no ****, so inspect yours if it comes from them. Its been over 6 months so I'm sure they worked it out. RockAuto supplied me but they were about $20 more

Last edited by Not So Fast; 03-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.
I Fly Low (03-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer failed- questions

Old 03-19-2018, 01:51 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

great time to do a cam swap because a huge portion of the labor for a cam swap is to pull the balancer and front cover
RobJoy (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

I recently had Bob Steele Chevy replace the ballancer. IT was 1000 dollars plus tax.

I really really wanted to do it myself but I just didnt have the lift to lift the engine and lower the cradle to make room for the ballancer. I really didnt want to pull the steering rack out either.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the input! I found a mechanic (Rose Auto) based on a member's recommendation. Talked to him today, and sounded very familiar with the issue, said he had done 4 in the last year.

I will go with the ATI, and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer failed- questions