C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Top End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM
JordanRN
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 Top End Noise

Morning All,

I have a 2013 C6 Base model. This past Friday it recently developed a metallic clanking noising on the top end that goes with the RPM. Sounds like a lifter has collapsed. I've left it with the dealer as it still has a "Certified Pre-Owned Powertrain Lmtd Warranty".

I was able to have the dealer pull the service records on it.

~1,400 miles it states "Engine Replacement"

~1,480 miles it states "Lifter Replacement Both Sides"

~2,000 miles it states "Lifter Replacement Both Sides"

Car now has ~82,000 miles on it and in 18,000 miles the warranty is up.

My concern is that the dealer will have an issue with headers that are on the car and it being so close to the warranty expiration, I think they might try to deny my warranty claim.

But given that the car has a "record" of lifter issues, I can try to leverage that.

Has anyone had any issues like this with the warranty or any lifter issues within their LS3 that's bone stock besides headers?

Thanks,
Jordan

Last edited by JordanRN; 03-20-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:41 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanRN
Morning All,

I have a 2013 C6 Base model. This past Friday it recently developed a metallic clanking noising on the top end that goes with the RPM. Sounds like a lifter has collapsed. I've left it with the dealer as it still has a "Certified Pre-Owned Powertrain Lmtd Warranty".

Car now has ~82,000 miles on it and in 18,000 miles the warranty is up.

My concern is that the dealer will have an issue with headers that are on the car and it being so close to the warranty expiration, I think they might try to deny my warranty claim.

But given that the car has a "record" of lifter issues, I can try to leverage that.

Has anyone had any issues like this with the warranty or any lifter issues within their LS3 that's bone stock besides headers?

Thanks,
Jordan
unless you know a dealer really well the safest thing to do for warranty would be to reinstall factory exhaust before you bring car in for their diagnosis.being that it has headers on it it may have after market tune in car.that will also void warranty.lots of cheap factory exhaust systems in the for sale section.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Find out if it has a tune because it probably won't matter about the warranty then. They won't care about a lifter issue 80k miles ago if it has been tuned since then. Is the noise when it is cold because the LS3 isn't a quiet motor, especially when cold.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:06 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

First engine replacement itself would not set off buying the used car when looking at the GM service history and carfax report before buying the car, but the recurring lifter problems the engine replacement screams that when the first engine blew, it left metal partials in the oil coolers and lines, they where not replaced with the new engine, and it kept sucking the metal partials back into the engine over and over again.

So from 2K to 80K is a long time, but the inital repeat lifter problem over and over again in only 600 miles to start with, does make you wonder on what the metal partials did in that amount of time that where not caught in that first 600 miles.

As for the car being mod'd (had to be re-tuned for the headers) that pretty much just voided a warranty on the motor from GM, and your only saving grace with a aftermarket warranty is if you bought the car that way to start with, and what the aftermarket warranty was based on to begin with isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-20-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dano523
...it left metal partials in the oil coolers and lines, they where not replaced with the new engine, and it kept sucking the metal partials back into the engine over and over again...
Exactly.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 AM
JordanRN
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Find out if it has a tune because it probably won't matter about the warranty then. They won't care about a lifter issue 80k miles ago if it has been tuned since then. Is the noise when it is cold because the LS3 isn't a quiet motor, especially when cold.
It has a tune on it. It doesn't matter if the motor is cold or warmed up, the noise is there.

Originally Posted by Dano523
First engine replacement itself would not set off buying the used car when looking at the GM service history and carfax report before buying the car, but the recurring lifter problems the engine replacement screams that when the first engine blew, it left metal partials in the oil coolers and lines, they where not replaced with the new engine, and it kept sucking the metal partials back into the engine over and over again.

So from 2K to 80K is a long time, but the inital repeat lifter problem over and over again in only 600 miles to start with, does make you wonder on what the metal partials did in that amount of time that where not caught in that first 600 miles.

As for the car being mod'd (had to be re-tuned for the headers) that pretty much just voided a warranty on the motor from GM, and your only saving grace with a aftermarket warranty is if you bought the car that way to start with, and what the aftermarket warranty was based on to begin with isntead.
CarFax showed up clean when I bought the car. Even though I spoke with previous owner a year later and he said it had been in a accident prior to trading it in.

They never showed me a Dealer History report when I bought the car (Rookie move on my part).

Guess we shall see if the Dealer takes pity on me at this point.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

It has a tune on it. It doesn't matter if the motor is cold or warmed up, the noise is there.

CarFax showed up clean when I bought the car. Even though I spoke with previous owner a year later and he said it had been in a accident prior to trading it in.

They never showed me a Dealer History report when I bought the car (Rookie move on my part).

Guess we shall see if the Dealer takes pity on me at this point.
FYI, but if the motor has been cam'd (high lift cam), then the valve springs need to be replaced about every 35K. Hence what you think may be a lifter problem with a cam'd motor, maybe a snapped valve spring or two isntead. Also to point out, radical lob cams play hell on lifter rollers too, and some times they too need to be replaced with the springs before they go flat and take out the cam as well.

The following users liked this post:
Welker1 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

~1,400 miles "Engine Replacement" ~1,480 miles "Lifter Replacement Both Sides" ~2,000 miles it states "Lifter Replacement Both Sides"...Car now has ~82,000 miles on it
Obviously this car had issues w/ lifters, that it's lasted this long before happening again is kind of good luck.
Whatever's causing it, it's there. In the day car would be considered a lemon for repeated repairs on same component(s).

Bad news is:

...in 18,000 miles the warranty is up...My concern is that the dealer will have an issue with headers that are on the car and it being so close to the warranty expiration, I think they might try to deny my warranty claim.
Betting they certainly do deny coverage, won't be because warranty term's coming up either.
It'll be the tune, tipped-off by headers they'll surely check.
Most every member here w/ a Corvette under either B2B or extended warranty knows all too well a tune invalidates coverage. At least if the problem lies w/ motor, anyway.

Can try & I wish you the best, might get lucky w/ nothing to lose.

Not me, but it's been reported here more than once over the years.
Guys get a tune, develop a issue, try having it covered, denied.
Driven an '08 Z06 for 10 years, bought it new.
Since I've maintained either a GMPP or now GMEPP the thought of tampering w/ tune was out of the question. New LS2/3 are a bargain compared w/ a new LS7.

G/L, keep us posted what dealers says. Would love being wrong.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:29 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you tried changing oil and filter?
My car starts making lifter noise when OLM gets around 45%. Even more pronounced with cold temps. Fresh oil and filter quiets it down.

High mileage 07, 300 miles shy of 200,000 so little ticking is to be expected. BTW headers and tune done in 07 by LG Motorsports.

Sounds like you might have bigger problems than I but fresh oil never hurts.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:28 PM
JordanRN
Heel & Toe

Spoke with the Service Manager yesterday, stated he would replace it under warranty. Apparently the #7 lifter(s) were sticking...

Curious how the head, cam, pushrod and rocker arm look after the pushrod was banging around due to the sticking lifter...

Also stated I had "massive exhaust leaks" due to the headers which is news to me, I think I would have heard the leaks before my issue happened.
Landru (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Landru
Race Director

Thanks for closing this.
A(nother) lifter. Who knew.

Wondering whether saving up the dust for a new set of heads wouldn't make sense considering track record. Got lucky, this time. Next time be prepared.

Associated component damage?
Guessing you'll hear it if there is, or not.
JordanRN (04-02-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 06:03 PM
JordanRN
Heel & Toe

Service report in my possession...

Camshaft, Head to Machine Shop, Lifters (Both Sides), Top End Gaskets, Water Pump, Front Cover Gaskets, Oil Pan Gasket, and Thermostat...

My question is, do I ask for a new motor because of the all the metal particles floating around? I do not want to be sitting on a ticking time bomb.....

Last edited by JordanRN; 03-30-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Personal Info redacted
Old 03-31-2018, 09:38 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Service report in my possession...

Camshaft, Head to Machine Shop, Lifters (Both Sides), Top End Gaskets, Water Pump, Front Cover Gaskets, Oil Pan Gasket, and Thermostat...

My question is, do I ask for a new motor because of the all the metal particles floating around? I do not want to be sitting on a ticking time bomb.....
It’s your dollar next time. I would think about trading it in if that was me.
Good luck
JordanRN (04-02-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:45 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by enventr
It’s your dollar next time. I would think about trading it in if that was me. Good luck

Get a plan together to trade this car to a Chevy dealer. Put a date on execution in your plan.
And should dealer try jacking you around w/ car's history?
Remind 'em what they paid fixing it, tell 'em it's better than new.
Their SD said so.

It'll be reliable for enough years to have a plan ready to launch, regardless financial state. For now enjoy why you bought it.
C6 of any MY/trim's a beautiful ride, when they function.

G/L
JordanRN (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM
JordanRN
Heel & Toe

I'll probably just buy a shortblock and let it ride if this happens again. Maybe a 408 or 416...

Appreciate everyone's input!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Top End Noise

Quick Reply: C6 Top End Noise