C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Joe Block and retired. Back into the Corvette community after a 40 year absence.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 04:10 PM
therealmz
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Well he got married 2 years before I was born.....so doing the math......hope he's ok........
Old 03-26-2018, 11:39 PM
Joe Block
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
What ever happed to the OP of this thread .... ol' Joe Block ?

I guess he got tired of reading the responses to his question ...
I have read the responses and advice to my predicament. I appreciate them all. What I don't like is the way that the insurance industry has taken over our lives. They %$#&*)(><=. We can't breathe without insurance companies taking their piece of flesh. My question is why do they say that I can't repair my car?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:01 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,248 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Block
I have read the responses and advice to my predicament. I appreciate them all. What I don't like is the way that the insurance industry has taken over our lives. They %$#&*)(><=. We can't breathe without insurance companies taking their piece of flesh. My question is why do they say that I can't repair my car?
Because when they insure you, they are taking the risk you could cause an accident and cost them $$$$$. I suppose someone came to the conclusion that a totaled car on the road somehow carries more risk, but that's just a guess.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 03-28-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Joe Block
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried to find the guide lines that determines that a damaged car is deemed clean, salvage, or the new stamp, non repairable. I know that this car came from a flood area. Does this mean all cars are flood non repairable? No. So that "Someone" sitting at a desk has no qualification, no guide lines. I have been a mechanic for over 50 years. This car is for my transportation. So I have some skin in the game too. It's not only $s to me.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:11 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Block
I have tried to find the guide lines that determines that a damaged car is deemed clean, salvage, or the new stamp, non repairable. I know that this car came from a flood area. Does this mean all cars are flood non repairable? No. So that "Someone" sitting at a desk has no qualification, no guide lines. I have been a mechanic for over 50 years. This car is for my transportation. So I have some skin in the game too. It's not only $s to me.
I see your point, obviously some flood cars are repairable, and deserve to registered again.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:41 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

So let me get this straight, After 40 years, you are back in a Corvette however, the one you bought is...... "Houston flood car with a non repairable title" am I the only one who thinks that is INSANE? welcome and best wishes.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:31 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I think at issue on flood cars is typically the extent of the damage may not be evident for sometimes even years. Corrosion, electrical problems, etc. are the issue and may not be immediately evident. What I find odd is that in IL a salvage title is issued, which means you still get a title, it is just stamped "salvage". Now that still makes some nervous, but in many cases the damage may have been minimal, but beyond the 65% of value that insurance companies look at. My neighbor has a C4 in that boat, which a body man fixed and sold and the car is great. He has pics of the original damage was probably only a few thousand, but as an older C4 it was not worth more than about $8k so the insurance company totaled. The problem is my neighbor now wants a C5 or C6, but dealers wont touch the salvage title, and private owners run scared.

I am not quite sure why your state doesnt issue those titles. What is the difference between you rebuilding a car or assembling a kit car and titling? The only reason I can really figure is that insurance companies have been known to launder titles. They move the cars from state to state then into states with no salvage titles, just normal titles, then resell them as never damaged. I read a story where the insurance company had moved a $80k Mercedes, which was totaled through (5) states, then sold it as if nothing happened. Imagine how much damage there had to be on that car to total.

Quick Reply: I'm Joe Block and retired. Back into the Corvette community after a 40 year absence.