C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Mag Ride Shocks Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 PM
David73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Mag Ride Shocks Leak

Hi all, never posted here before but I need some advice. I bought a "new" 2013 C6 3lt 6 speed car in March of 2014. Black on Black, beautiful car. Last one on the lot. It had 249 miles (showing) on the odometer. Not long after I took it home (from a MAJOR dealer in Grapevine, Tx.) I noted there was black oily looking "stuff" on the inside of the front two wheels (barrel area) with wisps of oil streaking down next to each of the spokes on the wheel faces, especially the left front wheel. I complained about it only weeks after purchasing and was told the usual.. "move along, nothing to see here".

Every time I had it in for an oil change I asked the tech to see if they could pinpoint that oil leak that was trashing my wheels. Each time the tech reported that all was dry with the drive line... No luck.
I've since moved to central Missouri and took it in to local Chevy dealer with the same complaint before the mfg warranty ran out. This last time the dealer's service writer told brake dust was mixing with morning dew and causing the dark streaks on the wheels... and that it wasn't oil. kinda reminds me of a quote from Men In Black... "That was no UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was caught in a thermal pocket and reflected the light off of Venus"

Anyway I had it on the rack getting yet another oil change the other day and the tech notified me that I had a fairly bad leak coming from the left front shock and the right front was wet with oil but not quite as bad. My mfg warranty ran out a year ago and now the odometer is sitting at 39K miles. I purchased my extended warranty through the (now local) dealer and was just told today that the aftermarket warranty does not cover shocks. I informed the service foreman that I have records of complaints about this specific oil leak at the front wheels during the warranty period and that I thought Chevy should cover it. I was told it was out of his hands and that he would contact GM to get their response.

This will be the second time I've had to go to GM for resolution to a problem on this car. The first was even more traumatic and an even longer winded tale involving the original dealer (they seriously forked me over a lot-damaged front bumper cover).

Any advice anyone can give me in dealing with GM would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
David
Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

There used to be a few GM customer service reps that frequented the forum. I know there about 3 on Camaro5 and Camaro6 forums. They can be found in the build and tracking section in those forums.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Go to GM directly with your complaint. Don't expect someone who is "not on your side" to start with to carry the message for you. Worst case, you replace two bad shocks. DO NOT BUY FROM A DEALER.

A little hard to understand how you could not tell the diff between oil and morning dew.

good luck with this.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB-leaking shocks.pdf (278.6 KB, 305 views)
The following users liked this post:
Fletch F. Fletch (09-20-2019)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:55 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

The mag ride control shocks do leak. Everyone I know that has them has some oil that leaks from the cylinder. The main reason I didn't want this option. There have been numerous posts about these shocks on here.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
David73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
...A little hard to understand how you could not tell the diff between oil and morning dew.
I've worked around cars all my life doing body work as well as mechanical repairs, I've also rebuilt a '69 mustang as well as a '73 stingray. Rest assured, I know what an oil leak looks like but convincing a service writer that it's an oil leak that is standing there telling me "the mechanic said it was brake dust mixed with dew water... well, at that moment it became apparent that they were UNWILLING to address it. Now I know why ($$$).

So don't go to the dealer 'eh. I guess I'll do some searching for aftermarket shocks that are an upgrade from stock if they exist.

Last edited by David73; 03-21-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by David73
I've worked around cars all my life doing body work as well as mechanical repairs, I've also rebuilt a '69 mustang as well as a '73 stingray. Rest assured, I know what an oil leak looks like but convincing a service writer that it's an oil leak that is standing there telling me "the mechanic said it was brake dust mixed with dew water... well, at that moment it became apparent that they were UNWILLING to address it. Now I know why ($$$).

So don't go to the dealer 'eh. I guess I'll do some searching for aftermarket shocks that are an upgrade from stock if they exist.
Hi David. Welcome to the forum.

I don't understand why you go to dealers for oil changes etc when you are an experienced mechanic, yet have trouble proving that the "oil" you see is from shocks. I also question how "oil" from shocks can cause streaks down the face of wheels. Warranties for shocks are only covered for the 3/36 B2B and never known to cover extended warranties, so if this really is a shock problem, you've waited way too long to address it.

You have a year of powertrain warranty remaining, so if the "oil" is coming from wheel bearings, you're covered, but "oil" from any other source that could possibly drip down to the wheel barrels or outside face of the wheels is on your dime.

I'm at 152K miles on my '08 F55 shocks that still have no seepage showing. I suspect some people don't drive their Vettes much and the lack of use causes lubrication and other problems that are created by dry conditions on seals etc.

Wipe the shocks clean and take another look in a month. Mag shocks will pick up oily dirt and other ferrous fragments off the street, so don't be surprised to see a little bit of something on them.

BTW, upgrades from factory F55 shocks don't exist.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

And, you can usually find very serviceable used or rebuilt F55 shocks online....check ebay, CL, etc. Sometimes, you can find new ones. All will be cheaper than the dealer.

As for convincing someone...that is a truly weak point. You call the mechanic over, along with the owner of the business, and you say, "are you seriously going to try to convince me that what I see on my wheels, and on my fingers, is morning dew????"

Maybe you get the truth, maybe you don't.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought my '11 in '13, with 5K on it from a dealer 100 miles away. Went to local dealer for oil change. He said "both rear shocks are leaking oil and they will be replaced under warranty".
Old 03-22-2018, 04:08 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Some day we are actually going to see a bad shock.lol Both at the same time?? I believe the real issue is with dealerships not understanding the system. I agree with "HOXXOH". Wipe them down and watch them. So many of these threads end with there was not an issue. I have a 2008 with F55 as well. I do not have a lot of miles. I find it interesting that someone else is usually telling the owner his shocks are bad while getting an oil change or alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Mag Ride Shocks Leak

Quick Reply: C6 Mag Ride Shocks Leak