C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You gotta hear this.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:06 PM
VetteCop29
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default You gotta hear this.....

My 2005 front end was seriously damaged by a pothole in Memphis (surprise there) this year. Front end pulled forward, broke radiator support, HUD wiring and Instrument cluster electronics messed up. The instrument cluster was a $350 US Speedo Daytona, red face, red led backlit.
Took it to a local Chevy dealer I had success with prior to this day for repairs.
They had the car for 51 days......
About 3 weeks in, called me and said, "Bad news. We can't find a HUD for a 2005 ANYWHERE, at ANY GM dealer in the US." then silence.
I said, since I had looked "Have you tried Corvette Mods or eBay? I saw 3 today. "
Reply was "We don't do aftermarket."
I said "They aren't aftermarket. They are OEM GM, WITH GM hologram and marks. $499.00"
No response.
When I finally did get my car back, my engine compartment, also custom detailed, looked like it was outside for the entire 51 days, with the hood open. No spec plate replaced. My instrument cluster was replaced with a stock black and white display, without so much as a phone call before I picked it up, to warn or advise me.
The dealer hasn't called since. I think this is unacceptable.
Am I wrong?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes, unacceptable. But you're in a conundrum. While the dealership should make it right, do you really want them working on your car after seeing their care after 51 days on their lot? One miscalculation on your part was accepting it in a condition that was obviously different than your expectations. Again, you were left with picking the best turd out of the toilet.

As for the instrument cluster, they're not obliged to replace an aftermarket part with the like. Actually, I'm surprised they replaced it at all, but you did pay for the replacement and an OEM one. You should have expected that.

Was everything else fixed properly?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:41 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Why would you go to a dealer for this repair?

I think you could have done a whole lot better at an independent shop. Anyone with a manual can do it, and most dealers will shuffle this kind of repair to the back of the pack.

An indy shop would have given you whatever you asked for, as long as you paid for it.

Other than the crappy care of the car, you pretty much got what any dealer would give you.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:42 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Personally I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a dealership for that job.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Add me to that list... dealer would not be my first option. We have a few corvette shops here in Dallas I would start there first, it's all they do. Your vette might have been repaired by someone who hadn't worked on a vette in 6 months.

Last edited by Dr Bee; 03-22-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

If you got it fixed under your insurance (well even without it) and you took your car and paid them without checking EVERYTHING out beforehand, then it's on you. I've never had work done and paid for it and taken it without checking it all first. Sorry, but you don't really have room to complain here.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Since I live near Memphis (Olive Branch) I can relate to the pothole issue. I was driving on Shelby Drive two weeks ago when a vehicle 200 feet in front of me swerved ferociously to the left. A pot-hole the size of Rhode Island and as 10 inches deep was in the way. Luckily, had time and no traffic to divert to another lane. The potholes this winter are absolutely horrible. I won't drive my car in Memphis right now. Potholes are bad enough, but the cheap patch they fill them with comes out after every rain leaving a road full of asphalt BB's everywhere just waiting to get kicked up into your car body or windshield.

To the OP....if I may ask, what dealer did you take your car to?

Get notified of new replies

To You gotta hear this.....

Quick Reply: You gotta hear this.....