C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle on a LS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
In general, there is absolutely no need to clean fuel injectors as long as you are using decent quality fuel (i.e 99% of pump gas in the US, Canada, western Europe and most civilized places). I just got some 20+ year old fuel injectors back from some motorcycles that had sat for years and 8 out of 9 of them were functioning perfectly and still in spec. The one bad one had to be replaced. Of course, they sometimes fail like anything man made but in that case it's very rare that an ultrasonic cleaning or "miracle in a bottle" will actually accomplish anything useful.

Just look at the scheduled maintenance in your corvette owners manual or any other automotive owners manual. Did you find fuel injector cleaning in there? Didn't think so. Sure, I know, your uncle Tom's friend told you he uses nothing but Jimmy Johns injector elixir and never had a problem. I put up an umbrella over my head yesterday and the Chinese Space Station didn't hit me.
The space station is falling today. Better get that umbrella out again.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
What makes them dirty? What problems does it cause? How do you clean them? Is it just a problem for low mileage low speed garage queens or long term (aka Winter) storage?

I'm curious to what it is about the chronological age of the car that becomes the reason for specific injector maintenance that supersedes the total engine revolutions or the fuel being used?

152K miles (3X the OP) on my '08 and original injectors never cleaned, other than using a regular diet of Chevron. Lot's of high RPM use too.
Cheap fuel and crap in the tanks at a gas station.If you don't know what dirty injectors can cause then take a class.It's not rocket science....Chevron has a good cleaner in their fuel.....
Old 04-03-2018, 12:44 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
In general, there is absolutely no need to clean fuel injectors as long as you are using decent quality fuel (i.e 99% of pump gas in the US, Canada, western Europe and most civilized places). I just got some 20+ year old fuel injectors back from some motorcycles that had sat for years and 8 out of 9 of them were functioning perfectly and still in spec. The one bad one had to be replaced. Of course, they sometimes fail like anything man made but in that case it's very rare that an ultrasonic cleaning or "miracle in a bottle" will actually accomplish anything useful.

Just look at the scheduled maintenance in your corvette owners manual or any other automotive owners manual. Did you find fuel injector cleaning in there? Didn't think so. Sure, I know, your uncle Tom's friend told you he uses nothing but Jimmy Johns injector elixir and never had a problem. I put up an umbrella over my head yesterday and the Chinese Space Station didn't hit me.
I know it is not in the owners manuals.It will be in some service manuals.I like to maintain my fuel system like i did back in the day when all my cars had carburetors.I've rebuilted many of them because we did not get the good gas back then.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Cheap fuel and crap in the tanks at a gas station.If you don't know what dirty injectors can cause then take a class.It's not rocket science....Chevron has a good cleaner in their fuel.....
I wasn't asking for me, but just as a general question so you could explain to others why the car's age created an injector problem. Maybe it'd be nice to help others to find where those injector classes are held.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I wasn't asking for me, but just as a general question so you could explain to others why the car's age created an injector problem. Maybe it'd be nice to help others to find where those injector classes are held.
Hey -- I took a class at the local college on how to check the oil. Covered it all in one semester and it was cheap: $1200.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Hey -- I took a class at the local college on how to check the oil. Covered it all in one semester and it was cheap: $1200.
Did you pass?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

High school shop class or a Jr College and also a service manual...The age could have an effect but not always.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I know it is not in the owners manuals.It will be in some service manuals.I like to maintain my fuel system like i did back in the day when all my cars had carburetors.I've rebuilted many of them because we did not get the good gas back then.
I've never had "bad gas" ruin a carb. How does that happen? A carb was one of the most reliable pieces on those older cars.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Did you pass?
It was tough going, homework was a bitch, but I finally figured out the marks on the dipstick and how to react to them. I wouldn't suggest taking the course unless one first has a very deep understanding of internal combustion engine oiling systems.

Attachment 48336260
Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I've never had "bad gas" ruin a carb. How does that happen? A carb was one of the most reliable pieces on those older cars.
What!! Come on now---Tell the truth.

Quick Reply: Rough idle on a LS3