C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battle of the C6 Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:29 PM
JBurmenko
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battle of the C6 Exhausts

Hey everyone as of now I have a 2006 c6 corvette with the old style stinger axle back and its too quiet for my liking.

From experience what would you guys recommend Borla ATAK or Corsa Xtreme Catbacks, also will i pass CA smog with high flow cats/ does it make that big of a difference in sound.
Thank you!!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:20 PM
oAllElseFailo
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think there's any type of cats that are CA legal. Most companies that sell exhaust set ups with other cats even state they're not CA legal. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just gotta pay under the table to pass.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:06 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You can install what ever kind of axle back exhaust that you care for, where you will run afoul of the law in Cali is when you decide to go with headers, a no no. Once you remove the stock manifolds & cats & replace them with a aftermarket system, you will not pass a Cali visual/smog test

Last edited by 449er; 03-29-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by JBurmenko
Hey everyone as of now I have a 2006 c6 corvette with the old style stinger axle back and its too quiet for my liking.

From experience what would you guys recommend Borla ATAK or Corsa Xtreme Catbacks, also will i pass CA smog with high flow cats/ does it make that big of a difference in sound.
Thank you!!

No on swapping cats forward, since it will not pass a visual smog test.

As for the exhaust systems you list that are cat back systems, the Borla will have a deeper muscle car sound like on the new mustangs when you get on it, while the Corsa will have more of a slightly higher pitched raspier V10 sound when you get on it isntead (slightly quieter as well).

Old 03-29-2018, 09:39 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo
I don't think there's any type of cats that are CA legal. Most companies that sell exhaust set ups with other cats even state they're not CA legal. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just gotta pay under the table to pass.
This is the second time in two days I've read your comment about "paying under the table" and I must say that's a pretty bold statement. Not to mention misleading. First of all any smog shop that is willing to accept a bribe for passing a non-compliant vehicle is subject to huge fines and a loss of license. Or at least that's my understanding. You're coming on here in this public forum making statements like this would lead someone to believe it's easy to break the law and get away with it.

I've read many posts that would totally negate your proposition that it's a simple task to get a non-compliant vehicle passed. Unless you are willing to share your sources, and I would bet you are not, you shouldn't be making statements like this and could very well be leading an unsuspecting person down a murky and dangerous path.

Just my .02. FWIW!
The following users liked this post:
Welker1 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Personally speaking, I have not yet heard an exhaust on a C5/C6 that I could truly say I liked.
I love the old school V8 sound, and I was coming to the conclusion that these modern engines, whether it be firing order, or other reasons, just don't sound real tough like in days gone by.
Down here in Australia the HSV's Holdens, LS2's and LS3's can sound awesome, but it's real hard to replicate this system layout on a C5/C6 platform.
The HSV's use a largish twin in and out muffler behind the cats, and mufflers on the rear, where upon with these late vettes, all mufflers have to be at the rear of the car, because of room restrictions.

I am planning to make a custom muffler that encapsulates the "H" pipe of a C6 Z06 system with a removable bottom plate. I can then play with the muffler internals in an endeavour to get the sound I want. Heck, it's just a dream right now, but I'm done paying big money for fancy stainless exhaust systems that sound pretty average.
I'll post findings when I get this done
Old 03-30-2018, 12:44 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio56
This is the second time in two days I've read your comment about "paying under the table" and I must say that's a pretty bold statement. Not to mention misleading. First of all any smog shop that is willing to accept a bribe for passing a non-compliant vehicle is subject to huge fines and a loss of license. Or at least that's my understanding. You're coming on here in this public forum making statements like this would lead someone to believe it's easy to break the law and get away with it.

I've read many posts that would totally negate your proposition that it's a simple task to get a non-compliant vehicle passed. Unless you are willing to share your sources, and I would bet you are not, you shouldn't be making statements like this and could very well be leading an unsuspecting person down a murky and dangerous path.

Just my .02. FWIW!
Thank you for calling him out. Most of us are law abiding citizens. What he suggest is not . my .02 !!!!
The following users liked this post:
Welker1 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 01:06 AM
oAllElseFailo
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio56

Just my .02. FWIW!
This car and my last and the one before it, i've always removed cats and gone with headers. Through those 8 or whatever years i've only gone through 2 smog plasses to do it and never had any issues. Most mechanics i've gone through know someone that does it too so i've never had an issue finding a place either. It's not like i'm risking anything either. If the shop wants to risk their license that's on them.

Get notified of new replies

To Battle of the C6 Exhausts

Quick Reply: Battle of the C6 Exhausts