C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob looking for a C6, what are the typical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Biggest issue I have is driving the speed limit and Finding good excuses to run errands, like, I bought the bread, but forgot the butter. Oh, we have butter, maybe I should find a good quality butter knife to spread that butter, I hear Bed Bath & Beyond has a good butter knife. Yes honey! I know it takes and 1-1/2 to get there.
The following users liked this post:
haberman13 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:12 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 898 Likes on 584 Posts

IIRC, at some point in the C6 production cycle it was on the top of Consumer Reports best sports car list. I really think it was one of GM's best products, particularly the later years, partly because they carried over a lot of C5 and partly because they were in production for so long. Far better than the totally under engineered Fiero, Vega, Olds diesel, etc. etc. that GM fostered on an unsuspecting product. Other than a '66 Chevy pickup I had in my youth, my Vette is the only GM product I've ever owned and certainly the only one I've desired.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:06 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Yeah, this is one way of looking at it and it's legit too. Then you can turn it around and say we're getting Porsche 911 performance for much less money than the 911 so you'd have to expect some shortcuts in materials and workmanship.

Then again, the Porsche 911/996 had defective IMS carrier bolts which, when they let go, would grenade the engine. No recall by Porsche and by gosh, one of those 6's cost a good deal more to replace than an LS anything.

Now, talking out the other side of my mouth, GM is a garbage manufacturer. It instituted an MBO program in the early 70's or late 60's which guaranteed products which would fall apart after warranty. That culture, of cheapening the product relentlessly to the point of not having a decent product after the warranty is over is still the culture of much of GM.

My upshot is that we got a great deal for the performance we love, but it IS a GM product and thus, it's mostly sizzle with little steak.
Well said. It's just a crying *** shame that the Corvette is so....."under achieved"...LOL. I've loved and owned one for most of my adult life and always will as long as I can press the long pedal. Just to darn bad they couldn't put a little more effort into them.....
Old 04-04-2018, 07:19 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well said. It's just a crying *** shame that the Corvette is so....."under achieved"...LOL. I've loved and owned one for most of my adult life and always will as long as I can press the long pedal. Just to darn bad they couldn't put a little more effort into them.....
I wonder just how much more it’d cost if GM did abandon its culture and make a heavily QA’d Vette. It’d have a HB which lasted forever and fuel tanks which never fumed the owner and....

Then I wonder if it’d be worth it. Would the more expensive Vette sell or do they only sell due to their low cost?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 PM
haberman13
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Put 50k miles on mine - oil changes, brakes, ball joints.

Drives like new. Never a problem, probably the most reliable car I've ever owned.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:45 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

I wonder just how much more it’d cost if GM did abandon its culture and make a heavily QA’d Vette. It’d have a HB which lasted forever and fuel tanks which never fumed the owner and....

Then I wonder if it’d be worth it. Would the more expensive Vette sell or do they only sell due to their low cost?
Good points. I tend to think that they also sell so well due to people like me that have wanted to own one since they were 16 years old and would buy one simply because they love the car regardless of their quality. How much more would I be willing to pay to get more improved quality....thats a good question. I'm not sure how many people buy one without being familiar with their downsides. But I do know that there is a lot of bias when talking about our beloved Vettes. Some just don't want to admit that while they are great cars to own and are a lot of fun for sure, their quality leaves much to be desired.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:34 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Good points. I tend to think that they also sell so well due to people like me that have wanted to own one since they were 16 years old and would buy one simply because they love the car regardless of their quality. How much more would I be willing to pay to get more improved quality....thats a good question. I'm not sure how many people buy one without being familiar with their downsides. But I do know that there is a lot of bias when talking about our beloved Vettes. Some just don't want to admit that while they are great cars to own and are a lot of fun for sure, their quality leaves much to be desired.
I hear this story often here and when I've chatted other Vette owners up. Back in 19xx they saw a Cx (usually 2) and just fell in love, but first, low earnings and then family prevented the purchase. Finally, now I'm xx years old, my children grown and gone and by gosh, I'm gonna get that Vette.

I suspect that or similar is accounting for most Vette sales. I think it means the death of the brand. Today and for many years now, kids haven't been lusting after cars or at least most cars. So where will the new customers come from?

I'm from the Porsche world. My wife wanted to try a Vette out of curiosity. I had a friend who also drove P-cars who also tried a Vette. He went whole hog buying a new C7 Z06 with almost every option larding it up to be a $100k sled.

Well, it looked good in some custom color of burgundy over a tan interior - the same as his sister's new Porsche Turbo S.

First, the engine went out and was replaced under warranty.

Second, the transmission went out replaced under warranty.

Then all the paint started peeling off. He was offered warranty.

He, instead, asked the dealer how much the dealer would give him on the spot for the car. He accepted it.

He's back in a P-car. Meanwhile, sister hasn't had a single unscheduled maintenance stop for her Turbo S.

I hope GM makes the C8 an aspirational car like Porsche, McLaren or Lambo. Make it right and price it accordingly. Else there will be no more Vettes.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:46 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

I hear this story often here and when I've chatted other Vette owners up. Back in 19xx they saw a Cx (usually 2) and just fell in love, but first, low earnings and then family prevented the purchase. Finally, now I'm xx years old, my children grown and gone and by gosh, I'm gonna get that Vette.

I suspect that or similar is accounting for most Vette sales. I think it means the death of the brand. Today and for many years now, kids haven't been lusting after cars or at least most cars. So where will the new customers come from?

I'm from the Porsche world. My wife wanted to try a Vette out of curiosity. I had a friend who also drove P-cars who also tried a Vette. He went whole hog buying a new C7 Z06 with almost every option larding it up to be a $100k sled.

Well, it looked good in some custom color of burgundy over a tan interior - the same as his sister's new Porsche Turbo S.

First, the engine went out and was replaced under warranty.

Second, the transmission went out replaced under warranty.

Then all the paint started peeling off. He was offered warranty.

He, instead, asked the dealer how much the dealer would give him on the spot for the car. He accepted it.

He's back in a P-car. Meanwhile, sister hasn't had a single unscheduled maintenance stop for her Turbo S.

I hope GM makes the C8 an aspirational car like Porsche, McLaren or Lambo. Make it right and price it accordingly. Else there will be no more Vettes.
Holy Crap !!!! That doesn't sound like a lemon...that sounds like a whole lemon tree !!! I would love to join the Porsche or Ferrari family, but my financial system doesn't allow for that....LOL. Would also love to have a Astin Martin Vanquish just because they are possibly the finest looking car ever made, but thats a pipe dream also at my age. Even if I did win the lottery or something like that and had one each of all the high dollar rides, I would still have to leave a little room in my 30 car garage for a couple of Corvettes......
Old 04-05-2018, 04:13 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Holy Crap !!!! That doesn't sound like a lemon...that sounds like a whole lemon tree !!! I would love to join the Porsche or Ferrari family, but my financial system doesn't allow for that....LOL. Would also love to have a Astin Martin Vanquish just because they are possibly the finest looking car ever made, but thats a pipe dream also at my age. Even if I did win the lottery or something like that and had one each of all the high dollar rides, I would still have to leave a little room in my 30 car garage for a couple of Corvettes......
If you want a Porsche, you can today get a 911/996 for mid 20's. These were the ones with the IMS greanading the engine. If it has gone 50k miles, the bolts are likely ok and you're safe. The alternative is the Boxters which get down to reasonable levels as well.

Over in Ferrari land, the 308 used to be available for credit card money. OK, it's not a 12 but it's a Ferrari. I am unsure if it's remained depressed.

Sure, if I had 30 cars, a garage to put them in and a crew to maintain them, I'd have a Vette. My wife initially wanted a C2 but I said as a GT car, it won't do to drive a car 50+ years old but it remains both of our ideal as what a Vette should be.

Quick Reply: Noob looking for a C6, what are the typical issues?