C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob looking for a C6, what are the typical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:57 AM
EMJAY747
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob looking for a C6, what are the typical issues?

Just joined the forum. I'm looking for the cliff notes on what are the typical issues to look for when buying a used C6. Specifically Base or z51 coupes w/ 6 speed. I'm not looking at z06/zr1s. Please forgive me if there is already a thread regarding this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EMJAY747; 03-31-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:32 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

C6 Corvettes are typically a reliable vehicle, that being said, there are issues that are known to exist on these cars, a few would be fuel smell/fuel leaks at the fuel tanks, wiring connectors pulling loose under the drivers seat, head/valve problems on the 7 liter engines, auto tranny shift cable malfunctions, battery issues, & harmonic balancer issues would be a few of them...see the "stickies" at the top of the C6 page for a better list
Old 03-31-2018, 05:05 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
C6 Corvettes are typically a reliable vehicle, that being said, there are issues that are known to exist on these cars, a few would be fuel smell/fuel leaks at the fuel tanks, wiring connectors pulling loose under the drivers seat, head/valve problems on the 7 liter engines, auto tranny shift cable malfunctions, battery issues, & harmonic balancer issues would be a few of them...see the "stickies" at the top of the C6 page for a better list
Man....is it me....or does that seem like a lot of issues to be calling the C-6 "Typically reliable"....
Old 03-31-2018, 05:42 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by windyC6
Man....is it me....or does that seem like a lot of issues to be calling the C-6 "Typically reliable"....
Because they are, you only read the bad stuff here on the forum, not the majority of cars that are trouble free ( me being one of the trouble free owners )
Old 03-31-2018, 06:27 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Look for things like you would on any used car first. Go to your local Chevrolet dealer and ask for the service history, then get a car fax. Lots of nice cars for sale here on the Forum. Our Forum cars are usually well taken care of and come with a known history.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:57 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Easiest way to put it is look at it like you would look at any other car...Cadillac, Toyota, Lexus, Honda...its just a Chevrolet. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:54 PM
ScottMA64
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My typical issue since getting my 2012 is looking at the word on the right side of this picture while I'm driving and getting a big ole grin on my face.

The following users liked this post:
corvettecolin (04-04-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:53 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 449er
Because they are, you only read the bad stuff here on the forum, not the majority of cars that are trouble free ( me being one of the trouble free owners )
I think this probably falls under each persons definition of "trouble free". While they may not strand you on the side of the road anymore than average, trouble free is a strecth as there are just way too many universal (if you will) problems that these vehicles have. By that I mean just way too many things that just shouldn't happen that are happening to a high percentage of these cars.....H/B problems......auto shift problems......power top problems in verts.....just to name a few......
Old 04-01-2018, 11:13 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by EMJAY747
Just joined the forum. I'm looking for the cliff notes on what are the typical issues to look for when buying a used C6. Specifically Base or z51 coupes w/ 6 speed. I'm not looking at z06/zr1s. Please forgive me if there is already a thread regarding this topic.

Thanks in advance.
You've been given some good tips already including and most importantly, looking the stickies.

My greatest fear if I were to buy another C6 is getting a lemon. Every once in a while, we get a report here of a car that simply cannot remain fixed and on the road. The issues are usually mysterious, intermittent and difficult to diagnose.

I would therefore tend to buy from a place such as CarMax where I'd have a 30 day window to return or whatever.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default 2010 or newer

Two major issues are the gas tank cracking problem and the clutch master cyl failure problem. Both are recognized by GM and are warrantied for 10 years. If you are buying used, the 2008 may be out of warranty and the 2009 would only have a year or less depending on in service date. 2010 or newer would be my recommendation.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Damn. He's about talked me into selling mine...
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RobJoy
Damn. He's about talked me into selling mine...
Well I wouldn't sell it !!! But anyone that buys a C-6 on the assumption that they are very reliable due to bias C-6 owners in any forum that suggest that they are should be aware of the facts and try to ignore the bias and in denial opinions. The fact is that it's along the same lines as a Harley, albeit not as bad....but if you plan on owning a C-6 and keeping it in pristine condition as many of us do....you better know how to work on them, or have a thick wallet, or both ......
Old 04-02-2018, 04:06 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Most of the the other guys covered the common issues. The only other one I see is the cooling fan connector melting. It normally happens more frequently with cars that have been tuned to run the fans more often than stock, but it is not unheard of for a 100% stock vehicle to also melt the connector if the typical environment is hot enough and the mileage is high enough.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:13 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

Mostly it's facial cramps from smiling so much and loose women throwing themselves at you. Other than that, pretty trouble free.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Read the pinned sticky notes...
Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had a 2012 for 2 1/2 years and hadn't had any problems at all. Runs perfect.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:27 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Not everyone gets all these issues all at once of course! We all seem to get mixtures of several at different times thought the ownership period. My '05 was purchased in very good shape in '13 and I've had enough issues to make the car annoying and part of the reason I traded it in this past weekend.

But as I've said before, EVERY make and model has it's good and bad cars.

For a C6, I'd suggest starting with 2013 and working backwards to a car the OP can afford or is willing to pay for. Always buy the newest one you can. And if you can get a GMPP or equivalent extended warranty for a good price, it might be worth it on a C6.

And don't listen to those who say "I've had my car a million years and never had one problem" because they are the lucky ones. Everyone else has some sort of issue. I have never owned a perfect car. They are rare.

But definitely check the sticky posts as this is a common question and all the ailments of the C6 are well documented.

Get notified of new replies

To Noob looking for a C6, what are the typical issues?

Old 04-04-2018, 02:59 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kevinkar
Not everyone gets all these issues all at once of course! We all seem to get mixtures of several at different times thought the ownership period. My '05 was purchased in very good shape in '13 and I've had enough issues to make the car annoying and part of the reason I traded it in this past weekend.

But as I've said before, EVERY make and model has it's good and bad cars.

For a C6, I'd suggest starting with 2013 and working backwards to a car the OP can afford or is willing to pay for. Always buy the newest one you can. And if you can get a GMPP or equivalent extended warranty for a good price, it might be worth it on a C6.

And don't listen to those who say "I've had my car a million years and never had one problem" because they are the lucky ones. Everyone else has some sort of issue. I have never owned a perfect car. They are rare.

But definitely check the sticky posts as this is a common question and all the ailments of the C6 are well documented.
Yes...absolutely true that every make & model has their good and bad models. But what makes the Corvettes problems so annoying (and expensive) is that the Corvette has always been the flag-ship of the GM line, at least in sports cars, and it is expensive. Way too expensive for all of the "Common" problems that seem to effect a very good percentage of them. GM should be ashamed to have released these C-6's probably knowing that there are "areas" that will be very problematic, at least ... ..
Old 04-04-2018, 03:41 PM
RMJ11949
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 08 convertible, glad I didn't get the coup. No problems. LS3 better than LS2. Buy one with as low mileage as you can find and the options and color you want, don't settle, get the one you want. You'll love it. I like the C6 better than my friends C7.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:51 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes...absolutely true that every make & model has their good and bad models. But what makes the Corvettes problems so annoying (and expensive) is that the Corvette has always been the flag-ship of the GM line, at least in sports cars, and it is expensive. Way too expensive for all of the "Common" problems that seem to effect a very good percentage of them. GM should be ashamed to have released these C-6's probably knowing that there are "areas" that will be very problematic, at least ... ..::
Yeah, this is one way of looking at it and it's legit too. Then you can turn it around and say we're getting Porsche 911 performance for much less money than the 911 so you'd have to expect some shortcuts in materials and workmanship.

Then again, the Porsche 911/996 had defective IMS carrier bolts which, when they let go, would grenade the engine. No recall by Porsche and by gosh, one of those 6's cost a good deal more to replace than an LS anything.

Now, talking out the other side of my mouth, GM is a garbage manufacturer. It instituted an MBO program in the early 70's or late 60's which guaranteed products which would fall apart after warranty. That culture, of cheapening the product relentlessly to the point of not having a decent product after the warranty is over is still the culture of much of GM.

My upshot is that we got a great deal for the performance we love, but it IS a GM product and thus, it's mostly sizzle with little steak.

Quick Reply: Noob looking for a C6, what are the typical issues?