C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon Reminiscing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:36 PM
ruenvs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Default Tail of the Dragon Reminiscing

Not on “The Tail,” but one of my favorite pics.
The following users liked this post:
RobJoy (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 03:56 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

The Corvette Museum is hosting a run from Bowling Green to Asheville NC (Biltmore Estate) from 4/28 to 5/2. They will be on the Tail afternoon of 4/29 before continuing on to Asheville.
They or someone did this a few years ago and there were nearly 500 Vettes on the Tail.
I won't be participating in this but, living in Asheville, I'll take up a roadside spot to watch them pass.

Update 4/3/18
This is not the big bash they do every five years, according to a Corvette friend. Rather it's a limited-number invitation in a group called Museum in Motion. Their website doesn't say what number vehicles will be involved, but the event is sold out. I guess could be 25 or 100, don't have a clue.

Last edited by RobJoy; 04-03-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: update
The following 2 users liked this post by RobJoy:
capt. sam (04-02-2018), Hate2Wait (04-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

The daily Dragon photogs will have a field day with that caravan!!!

U.M.
RobJoy (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:33 PM
capt. sam
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJoy
The Corvette Museum is hosting a run from Bowling Green to Asheville NC (Biltmore Estate) from 4/28 to 5/2. They will be on the Tail afternoon of 4/29 before continuing on to Asheville.
They or someone did this a few years ago and there were nearly 500 Vettes on the Tail.
I won't be participating in this but, living in Asheville, I'll take up a roadside spot to watch them pass.
Just out of interest where would be a good spot. At the Biltmore near the parking lots? Or somewhere off I-40 maybe Henderson Rd before they hit the entrance.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:59 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Default Line of travel

Originally Posted by capt. sam
Just out of interest where would be a good spot. At the Biltmore near the parking lots? Or somewhere off I-40 maybe Henderson Rd before they hit the entrance.
Not sure what roads they will be taking. I guess it depends on how make cars there are. If they came off I-40 onto US25 (Hendersonville Rd) there could be a big back up in that already busy area. It would make sense to come into the Biltmore Village area by another means that would enable them to come off the interstate in a group. Such an exit does exist but not sure they will take it. As of a couple weeks ago a replacement bridge is being built for the back entrance into the Estate. Don't know if that bridge will be finished in time. I suppose since it's unclear what roads they will take once they're in the Asheville area and how many vehicles are involved, might be best to park near one of the exits between Canton, NC and Asheville and view from there the overpass at that exit. The Newfound Rd. exit might be a good location to set up. As I recall there is a car-pooling lot there.
If you hear anything concrete I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Last edited by RobJoy; 04-02-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
capt. sam
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobJoy
Not sure what roads they will be taking. I guess it depends on how make cars there are. If they came off I-40 onto US25 (Hendersonville Rd) there could be a big back up in that already busy area. It would make sense to come into the Biltmore Village area by another means that would enable them to come off the interstate in a group. Such an exit does exist but not sure they will take it. As of a couple weeks ago a replacement bridge is being built for the back entrance into the Estate. Don't know if that bridge will be finished in time. I suppose since it's unclear what roads they will take once they're in the Asheville area and how many vehicles are involved, might be best to park near one of the exits between Canton, NC and Asheville and view from there the overpass at that exit. The Newfound Rd. exit might be a good location to set up. As I recall there is a car-pooling lot there.
If you hear anything concrete I'd appreciate a heads-up.
I foresee a massive jam. Probably be best to get to the Biltmore parking beforehand. That Tues. I'll bet they will be up on the Parkway which would offer many views up close of the cars. Hear them too.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:23 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Default Traffic route

Originally Posted by capt. sam
I foresee a massive jam. Probably be best to get to the Biltmore parking beforehand. That Tues. I'll bet they will be up on the Parkway which would offer many views up close of the cars. Hear them too.
Yeah. Not sure they will try to come in the front entrance or back entrance to the estate. Coming in the back entrance would get them all off the interstate in a group, whereas getting off interstate onto US25 could mean major traffic jam. I mentioned the back entrance is having the bridge replaced so don't know if they can come in that way.
I'm hoping someone will tip me off as to their exact approach so I can pick a good spot. Know a couple people who work on the Estate but not sure they will have that info.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:46 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

I'll have to put this on my calendar so I know to be SOME PLACE ELSE. Don't understand the mentality of driving really slowly in a big group. When I go to the dragon it's to drive the dragon, not to be in a slow moving parade.

If I were planning the route it sure would not include any interstates.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 04-03-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Uncle Meat (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 PM
capt. sam
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I'll have to put this on my calendar so I know to be SOME PLACE ELSE. Don't understand the mentality of driving really slowly in a big group. When I go to the dragon it's to drive the dragon, not to be in a slow moving parade.

I would agree. Seems like the numbers are down. 50 - 75 cars. Could be a lot less.
FYI - Vettes Doin Charleston (SC) will be held on Daniel Island on Sat. 4/21/18. A large gathering at the BenefitFocus parking lot on Daniel.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup

The one time I joined the local Corvette club for a road trip up to Barber's Motorsports Park I about lost my damn mind!!! It was like we were attached to the bellows of an accordion. 45-55-65-75-85-95-85-75-65-55-45. Lather, rinse, repeat for 2 hours. The most aggravating drive ever. Won't ever do that again. Tell me when to be there and I'll meet you. No way will I ever caravan in a group again.

U.M.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Birddog51
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I agree, did the caravan in 99 and 2003. Next time I’ll meet them in Nashville.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 AM
HMannini
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Running the Dragon in my old vette........

Get notified of new replies

To Tail of the Dragon Reminiscing

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon Reminiscing