C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! Major car problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! Major car problem

So first of all, to set the scene. Just finishing up a separation from my wife. I went away for a day while her and her parents were clearing out some of her final things before moving out. I get a text a day early that they are done, leaving, and that she's taking one of my dogs. Try calling, no response. Get all the way home, and the bitch robbed my house and took my dog....and headed to the coast in Vancouver. I live 4 hours away.

So...today...trying to forget about what has happened. I decide to take my 2010 Grand Sport out of storage. Took the battery tender off. Started the car up....started right away no problem. After running a minute or two, backed it out into my driveway and left it running. Came back out after a couple minutes maybe, and noticed car running rough. Looked in car and whole bunch of service notices came up. Service active handling, traction control, ABS, etc, etc. Car started running more and more roughly...until finally it completely died. Tried starting it again, and just turns over through cycle of pressing the start button....and won't start.

So I thought maybe battery. Went and bought a new battery and installed it....what a ******* bitch on a GS or Z06 as people mentioned. Went to start the car again....same thing. Just turns over and over and won't start. Tried a couple times...no luck.

I'm trying not to think the worst here, but I definitely wouldn't put it past my wife to have put sugar in the gas tank or something. I checked at the cap...don't see any sign at all of any sugar crystals or anything, but I guess it's possible that could have been super careful with a funnel or something. I don't know. Pray to God that isn't the case.

Checked spark plug wires, all on....and as I said, it started up perfectly and ran right the first couple minutes before it started running rough and **** the bed.

Car ran perfectly when it went into storage 5 months ago. And started perfectly. But won't run at all now.

Anything I can be checking???? Car is stuck in the driveway now, because it's a fairly steep incline and can't get it back into the garage. And it's Easter weekend and won't be able to get it flat decked somewhere until Tuesday if I can't get it running.

Is it easy to check the fuel filter? Everything I read says if someone puts sugar in gas tank that it won't make it to your engine and destroy it or anything....that it would collect in fuel filter and not allow gas to get through. Full tank of gas when I put it into storage.

FML
Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedthrill
So first of all, to set the scene. Just finishing up a separation from my wife. I went away for a day while her and her parents were clearing out some of her final things before moving out. I get a text a day early that they are done, leaving, and that she's taking one of my dogs. Try calling, no response. Get all the way home, and the bitch robbed my house and took my dog....and headed to the coast in Vancouver. I live 4 hours away.

So...today...trying to forget about what has happened. I decide to take my 2010 Grand Sport out of storage. Took the battery tender off. Started the car up....started right away no problem. After running a minute or two, backed it out into my driveway and left it running. Came back out after a couple minutes maybe, and noticed car running rough. Looked in car and whole bunch of service notices came up. Service active handling, traction control, ABS, etc, etc. Car started running more and more roughly...until finally it completely died. Tried starting it again, and just turns over through cycle of pressing the start button....and won't start.

So I thought maybe battery. Went and bought a new battery and installed it....what a ******* bitch on a GS or Z06 as people mentioned. Went to start the car again....same thing. Just turns over and over and won't start. Tried a couple times...no luck.

I'm trying not to think the worst here, but I definitely wouldn't put it past my wife to have put sugar in the gas tank or something. I checked at the cap...don't see any sign at all of any sugar crystals or anything, but I guess it's possible that could have been super careful with a funnel or something. I don't know. Pray to God that isn't the case.

Checked spark plug wires, all on....and as I said, it started up perfectly and ran right the first couple minutes before it started running rough and **** the bed.

Car ran perfectly when it went into storage 5 months ago. And started perfectly. But won't run at all now.

Anything I can be checking???? Car is stuck in the driveway now, because it's a fairly steep incline and can't get it back into the garage. And it's Easter weekend and won't be able to get it flat decked somewhere until Tuesday if I can't get it running.

Is it easy to check the fuel filter? Everything I read says if someone puts sugar in gas tank that it won't make it to your engine and destroy it or anything....that it would collect in fuel filter and not allow gas to get through. Full tank of gas when I put it into storage.

FML
Assume the worst, hope for the best. I would have it put on a flatbed and taken to the dealer. Don't start it, don't do anything to it. Let the dealer find out what's wrong.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

FML
Sorry, this had to happen. The fuel filter is integrated with the fuel pump and inaccessible because the fuel pump is in the gas tank.

First, check for trouble codes.

If you suspect foul play, tow it to your trusted mechanic and have them get a sample of the fuel from the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:39 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Did wife have access to the Key FOB... ? reason I ask if Car was locked the gas cap would not open ..
Old 04-01-2018, 07:40 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I agree with the above, get it flat bedded to the dealership for diagnosed.
It might be nothing, or could be she sabotaged the car, either way don't do anymore damage then the cars has right mow.

When I worked a service department ran into girlfriends putting sugar diesel gas into the tank. All can be flushed out along with injectors, with no causing any damage.

Keep us posted!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:41 PM
phat87
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

sorry for your ****. Just to let you know, sugar in the tank is a myth. But that doesn't rule out other shenanigans.
The following users liked this post:
Aerovette (04-03-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 07:44 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Sorry for your troubles.

As AA1Car Diagnostic and Repair points out, since sugar will not dissolve in gasoline it will cause your vehicle problems and can cause damages. The sugar gets clogged up in your fuel filter, blocking gas from having the ability to travel through the filter to reach your engine. That's why you experience the effects of running out of gas, stalling or not getting your car started. Likely you will have to replace the fuel filter or, if you have not started the car since you noticed the sugar, get it towed to a shop nearby and ask them to drop the gas tank and get the sugar out.

Considering the Corvettes dual tanks and fuel system this could be expensive to remedy.

Last edited by BearZ06; 04-01-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
Did wife have access to the Key FOB... ? reason I ask if Car was locked the gas cap would not open ..
Car was unlocked in garage. She put vinegar in my coffee maker, and in mouthwash bottle. Would vinegar in gas tank do anything bad???
Old 04-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

From the "old school": First thing to do is verify if it's a fuel or spark problem.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:57 PM
DWStock
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I would say that if your car sat for 5 months and if you hadn't started it in all of that time that either the gas is bad, you have a plugged fuel filter or the intank fuel pump went to its final resting place. I believe that it has been proved that sugar will not dissolve in gasoline to a point that it could actually caramelize the internals. It could plug injectors and the fuel filter if it got that far. But sand will do the same thing. A bunch of sugar in the tank would only require emptying and cleaning the tank. Maybe a $200.00 bill. I would tend to think that you have a plugged fuel line, filter or bad pump. But then, new car fuel filters and pumps are in the tank.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Car was unlocked in garage. She put vinegar in my coffee maker, and in mouthwash bottle. Would vinegar in gas tank do anything bad???
It would certainly contaminate the fuel. Do as others have said and do not start the car; get it towed to a shop that can diagnose the issue, and if need be, flush the fuel system. Sounds like you have an ex like mine. Sorry to hear that, but keep in mind that it gets better over time. Eventually you get to leave her behind and never have to think about her again.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

What ever you did, or she thinks you did, this bitch is playing hardball and for keeps. An attorney would be one of my next calls for advice.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

I also noticed an empty container of coarse salt in the garbage. I don't see any residue of anything around the gas tank filler....no grains of anything. There was just a little bit of liquid sitting in the edge of the plastic area below where you put in the fuel. I am now suspecting salt...but not sure. Would salt be worse???
Old 04-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by DWStock
Well I would say that if your car sat for 5 months and if you hadn't started it in all of that time that either the gas is bad, you have a plugged fuel filter or the intank fuel pump went to its final resting place. I believe that it has been proved that sugar will not dissolve in gasoline to a point that it could actually caramelize the internals. It could plug injectors and the fuel filter if it got that far. But sand will do the same thing. A bunch of sugar in the tank would only require emptying and cleaning the tank. Maybe a $200.00 bill. I would tend to think that you have a plugged fuel line, filter or bad pump. But then, new car fuel filters and pumps are in the tank.
Yeah...well full tank of good fuel when stored. Same as last year and had no problems. Car only has 27000 kms on it. Started up fine and ran fine the first couple minutes. But only other thing I was thinking could be fuel pump. But the timing with everything else is what has me suspicious.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mcrider
What ever you did, or she thinks you did, this bitch is playing hardball and for keeps. An attorney would be one of my next calls for advice.
Already been through last 6 months of lawyers. I didn't do a damned thing except marry the wrong person. She's an evil bitch....which is why I started divorce proceedings.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Already been through last 6 months of lawyers. I didn't do a damned thing except marry the wrong person. She's an evil bitch....which is why I started divorce proceedings.
If you have been dealing with lawyers for 6 months, and she vandalized the car, there is a very good possibility that she could be up on some very serious criminal charges then.

Fully understand the evil bitch part...had a ex girlfriend like that many years ago. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Hang in there. After two divorces I can testify that it gets better once the legal BS is over and done with. Just do what you have to do in the meantime. There's nothing she could have done to your car that can't be reversed.

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP! Major car problem

Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

Id check the oil as well. Give it a good sniff test
Old 04-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I agree with the recommendations so far. I suggest you be cautious as to what you post online as well. ALL of your online activity can, and most certainly, will be used against you. As difficult as it may be, I’d refrain from name calling right now. ( justified or not) Good luck. I hope your troubles are short lived!
owc6 (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
I agree with the recommendations so far. I suggest you be cautious as to what you post online as well. ALL of your online activity can, and most certainly, will be used against you. As difficult as it may be, I’d refrain from name calling right now. ( justified or not) Good luck. I hope your troubles are short lived!
I think evil bitch is pretty tame talk for what she has done. And completely appropriate. But yes....I'm not going beyond that online.
ddame2 (04-02-2018)

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Major car problem