C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Spring reinstall & my goof C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:56 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Parking Brake Spring reinstall & my goof C6

Replacing rear rotors/pads- realized why they were so hard to remove when I realized that the e-brake handle was up, locking them up. Still a major struggle getting rotors off, & of course park brake drum came off of the retainer spring. I went thru other posts & saw how to get the shoe back on the clips, but the shoes are expanded so rotors won't go on... I saw multiple times in posts how important it was NOT TO PULL E-BRAKE with rotor off... but it was, and hence my issue. What do I need to do to resolve this? What, if anything can be adjusted to make the shoe retract so the rotor will spin freely?

As always, thanks to everyone that take the time & effort to respond... this forum has been an absolute life (and $$) saver, MANY times!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Update- I adjusted the starwheels to allow clearance & put the rotors & calipers back. It's snowing so I can't see how the brakes operate... but still would like to know if there'll be some residual issue from the parking brake being engaged when I originally tried to pull off LR rotor. I have a funny feeling...
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

When pulling the rear rotors if they do not come off fairly easy adjust the star wheel adjuster on the backing plate that spreads the e-brake shoes. If you force the e-brake shoes off by prying off the rotor you may very well dislodge the "W" spring that holds tension on the shoes. If this happens it is extremely difficult to reinsert the"W"spring. Do not force the rear rotors off, use the star wheel to relieve the spread on the shoes. Take your time!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply... everything swapped out, & the e-brake shoes did come off the W spring, but spring didn't come off, prior owner must have bent the clips more securely.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake Spring reinstall & my goof C6

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Spring reinstall & my goof C6