C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm I Shafted and Stuck with this Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:44 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default I'm I Shafted and Stuck with this Corvette?

On March 27,2015 I purchased a 1 owner 08 Corvette from a out of town Chevy dealership the vette is beautiful with most of the options that I desired in a Corvette " it has Z51 suspension package, 4LT interior, 6SP Auto" with low mileage of 32K. this dealership was the original seller of the car back on March 27,2009. they even gave me a copy of the autocheck vehicle report showing that the Corvette has a CLEAN TITLE with no reason for concern. So i was able to negotiate a price of $29k finance through my credit union I was truly a happy camper so I thought.
Now the problem. I've decided to upgrade to a GS C6 2010-2012 figuring that with the $6k of upgrades I could get between $22K-$25K for my 08 C6 so I ran a Carfax report on my Corvette and I was shock to learn that my Corvette was involved in a auto accident on March 31,2010 and was reclassified by the auto insurance company as a" TOTAL INSURANCE LOSS " in addition the insurance describes my Corvette as having sustained serious structural damage now this Corvette is worth no more than $11K " I got a appraisal from carmax today" how could this lasp of reporting have occured? and shouldn't the dealership have know the accident details about this car because over the past 5 years before selling me this car it was in their shop on several different occasions for various repairs. And finally do I have any recourse. I called the dealership and they referred me to their autocheck vehicle report which still doesn't have any mention of the 3/31/2010 accident. so am i SHAFTED or do i have any recourse here?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

What does your title read?????
Does it read salvage title, rebuilt title, or something else?
Also, what title status does the bill of sale read.

If the title reads savage, or rebuilt title, but was sold as a clean title on the bill of sale, then you can go after the dealer that sold you the car for breach of contract.

If the title and bill of sale reads clean title (not rebuilt title) then give carfax a call to verify that the information they have on vin is correct, and dig deeper into the issue if suspect that the car was not totaled as some point instead. Hence if they show that the car was totaled, then should have the insurance company on file that did total the car, and calling them will yield not only the correct vin, but when the car was totaled as well.

Hence your trying to get to the bottom of if the vin is the correct one, the date of when the car was totaled, since it one less piece of information that your lawyer is going to need. Hence you will be after the dealer, and the dealer will be going after where the got the car from, and why is was still titled as a clean title in the first place.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-03-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:02 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dano523

If the title reads savage, or rebuilt title, but was sold as a clean title on the bill of sale, then you can go after the dealer that sold you the car for breach of contract.

If the title and bill of sale reads clean title (not rebuilt title) then give carfax a call to verify that the information they have on vin is correct, and dig deeper into the issue if suspect that the car was not totaled as some point instead. Hence if they show that the car was totaled, then should have the insurance company on file that did total the car, and calling them will yield not only the correct vin, but when the car was totaled as well.

Hence your trying to get to the bottom of if the vin is the correct one, the date of when the car was totaled, since it one less piece of information that your lawyer is going to need. Hence you will be after the dealer, and the dealer will be going after where the got the car from, and why is was still titled as a clean title in the first place.
The vehicle info is correct having been confirmed through Carmax they even named the insurance company"State Farm" as having paid the total loss claim.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:10 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
The vehicle info is correct having been confirmed through Carmax they even named the insurance company"State Farm" as having paid the total loss claim.
so what does the bill of sale and your car title read?

If both read clean title, and there is proof that it not a clean title, then you go after the dealer for selling you a car titled as clean, but in reality, a savaged or manufactured titled car isntead.

Again, breach of contract and a easy case to Win in court. Truth is, with proof of such, bank that the dealer will not want to go to court, and will buy back the car for the original price you paid then for in instead.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:12 AM
Ratboy
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I worked for a dealer in FL awhile back. We sold a used car with a similar "cloud" on the title. Nothing showed anywhere in all of our paperwork but it popped up when the people we sold it to tried to trade it in. We had to give them a complete refund - 4 years after we originally sold it to them!
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:25 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

so what does the bill of sale and your car title read?

If both read clean title, and there is proof that it not a clean title, then you go after the dealer for selling you a car titled as clean, but in reality, a savaged or manufactured titled car isntead.

Again, breach of contract and a easy case to Win in court. Truth is, with proof of such, bank that the dealer will not want to go to court, and will buy back the car for the original price you paid then for in instead.
Ive already made appointment with DMV to discuss my title problem but how do I go about to get a fair resolution from the dealer who has said as of today that they had NO knowledge of the cars title loss nor could they?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:52 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Find a good lawyer. He/she can guide u through the maze or red tape. Plus may even get their fees covered too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mlcharlestonsc:
JerriVette (04-03-2018), Landru (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:35 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

At the time you bought it the dealership gave you a copy of the "clean" autocheck. You accepted it without question, as did they, your credit union and your insurance company. I could be wrong but the dealership is
​​​​​​​in the clear and I doubt you have any recourse through them. You might be able to get some "goodwill" compensation but I wouldn't count on it.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by ls777z; 04-03-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:37 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Find a good lawyer. He/she can guide u through the maze or red tape. Plus may even get their fees covered too.
If the information on carfax or auto check is verified and correct my next step would be to get a lawyer and go after the dealer.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 AM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think it would be fairly easy to find where the problem came from as it is a 1 owner car, either the original owner or the dealer. If the insurance company branded it as a total loss in 2010 I don't think that label is going away and pretty sure neither the owner or dealer can manipulate that. The title, did dmv reissue a salvage title back in 2010? If they didn't then the 1st owner presented a clean title to the dealer on trade in or however they got it. There is an outside chance it is a clerical error, I doubt it but double check the vin on all your paperwork to make sure it matches. Even if the dealer got duped, they still have to type in a vin to car fax or auto check and one would think the bad report would show up. I am thinking this is on the dealer and you may have to push but you should get results.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

IMO you are trying to do this on the cheap by coming on here and asking the questions.
There are 50 different states and each one has its own laws---what works or has to be done in FL does not necessarily mean it has to be done in CA, your state.

Get ready to pay out of your pocket for getting a lawyer who will work for YOU, and pursue this. Yes, it's good to go to DMV but really, what stake do they have in this? Answer: none. YOU do.

I know what I think you deserve---full compensation--- but you also did not do your full and complete due diligence. For that, there may be a price for you to pay, and it may be very high. I know this sounds preachy, but as I said, there are 50 states with their own laws. CA is pretty strict so you may come out OK. I wish it to you. Next time, get CarfAx, get Autocheck, get a tech who knows the car to put it up on a lift and go over it, etc. Yes, it's money out of your pocket in advance, but look at what you are potentially liable for now! Then you decide.

Good luck. Really. Come back and tell us how it turns out (and that I was wrong on parts of what I wrote ).
Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Not all states have salvage titles.....a common hoax in the insurance industry is to move totaled cars to states that don't issue salvage titles, and sometimes move through a few states in the same manner, to launder the title. Not long ago I read about a $80k Mercedes that was totaled (so you can imagine a huge amount of damage to total) then laundered the title through (5) states and it was sold for close to the $80k value. When the new owner learned this he was PO'ed to say the least. Unfortunately if it was done legally, then it is hard to fight.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Unfortunately the other issue becomes was the car sold "As Is" with no implied warranty. If so, then yes as said above, you will not have much legal leg to stand on, unless someone knowingly defrauded you, or outright lied and you can prove that. I think in these cases rather than hiring a lawyer, etc. (which gets very expensive, very quick) the best is sometimes to live and learn, and sell it for its worth, and re-buy. Now if a car was wrecked but properly fixed, then it may not be a big deal with clean title. The longer you drive it, the more it will age and be less noticeable. If it had a salvage title it is tough to sell or trade. People get scared quick, and dealers typically will not take salvage title cars; ask my neighbor. Now the other side is if you get a good enough price to offset the value, then no big deal really, especially if you keep it for years. That alone can show nothing was wrong with the car.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

My bank won't issue a loan for a salvage car. I wonder why your credit union didn't question your loan.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=gliot1;1596916467]Unfortunately the other issue becomes was the car sold "As Is" with no implied warranty. If so, then yes as said above, you will not have much legal leg to stand on, unless someone knowingly defrauded you, or outright lied and you can prove that. I think in these cases rather than hiring a lawyer, etc. (which gets very expensive, very quick) the best is sometimes to live and learn, and sell it for its worth, and re-buy. Now if a car was wrecked but properly fixed, then it may not be a big deal with clean title. The longer you drive it, the more it will age and be less noticeable. If it had a salvage title it is tough to sell or trade. People get scared quick, and dealers typically will not take salvage title cars; ask my neighbor. Now the other side is if you get a good enough price to offset the value, then no big deal really, especially if you keep it for years. That alone can show nothing was wrong with the car.[/QUOTE
google: dealer disclosure statement>
Old 04-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

OP purchased car in good faith based on what dealer presented it as.
Clean titled, never wrecked.

This isn't a game of musical chairs, dealer fraudulently sold buyer a vehicle and now buyer must be made whole.
Seems onus is on where/whoever dealer got the car from fraudulently to recoup their loss.

Whether or not an act of 'fraud' was committed, a felony, or ignorance doesn't matter at this stage. Ignorance isn't an excuse for the law & buyer isn't law enforcement.

Through no fault of their own last buyer's out, period.
Buyer must be made whole.
Before hiring a lawyer perhaps a nice calm sit-down w/ dealer owner to explain dealer's situation may provide immediate resolution/settlement before this has a chance to go public.
Dealer really doesn't have a defense, buyer does.

G/L OP.
I'll put a c note on you having more than enough just cause to pursue & win this without an attorney, totally up to dealer, or lastly, with one.
Which would only cost dealer even more.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,127 Posts

You don't say if the used car dealer was in California, but if so, this may help: from https://www.caconsumeradvocate.com/b...first-its-type

"Posted: October 17, 2011 On Monday October 3rd, Governor Jerry Brown signed a new bill (AB 1215) into law that puts California at the forefront of lemon law progress. The law mandates that both new and used car sellers verify the condition of their used vehicles using a federally run database. If the database uncovers any significant problems in a vehicle’s past, the seller is required to flag it with a red “buyer beware” sticker. No other state currently has a provision like it.
As the Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety’s president Rosemary Shahan told The New York Times Wheels blog, the law aims to protect and save car buyers’ money by making them aware of potential problems in a vehicle’s history before they purchase the car. The database that will be used to check the cars starting next July, is the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, adopted in 2008 by Congress and run via the Justice Department. It contains information on vehicles collected and submitted by states, insurance companies, junk yards, and salvage lots. The database is available to everyone for a nominal fee, and utilized by state DMV offices and police departments."

So, if the vette was sold in California, suggest that you spend the nominal fee to find out what the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System has to say. If that system shows that your car was totaled, then chances are good that the dealership is on the hook, at least in my opinion. After all, where does CarFax get its data from?

Get notified of new replies

To I'm I Shafted and Stuck with this Corvette?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

This sounds like one of those deals where there are a lot of unknowns, and/or serious communication breakdowns. I would pay an attorney for a one time visit....take all your paperwork and info to them and see where you stand. Yea, might cost you a Ben or two.....but might lead you in the right direction.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Google the VIN. A lot of times salvaged cars show up in Google searches from wholesale salvage vendors.

But, you need to get a copy of the title to see how it is branded. If clean then you may need to contact State Farm and/or Carfax to make sure everything was reported correctly.

Or you can crawl under the car and start inspecting. I would assume body panels were replaced and the possibility of the VIN on the front frame rail not matching the dash VIN or missing entirely (if frontal impact). Check or non-OEM body panels, fasteners, bolts, parts, overspray, etc...
Old 04-03-2018, 11:10 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

this is why you should always run your own Carfax report. they have a guarantee that covers this type of thing.

Quick Reply: I'm I Shafted and Stuck with this Corvette?