C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Rear Speakers With POLK 522 MM's

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC...yABEgKAdvD_BwE

If you want to swap the fronts to add in tweaters as well, then CS 3.25".
https://www.kicker.com/cs-seriesKicker Cs 5.25 gets the job down better, and since they are as effecent as the OEM speaker, you don't run into balancing problems with a rear speaker not playing as loud as the front speakers isntead.

Hence some of the problems that you run into with other speakers that are rated for way more power, they don't have the speaker Efficiency/Sensitivity that the lower power that the Bose amp is putting out to start with, and you have to crank the volume of the radio to try to get them to play as loud as the OEM speaker, but with the volume cranked up up, the radio and amp is just putting out a great deal of distorting instead.
Note, you destroy a speaker coil faster by it trying to play a distorted signal, then throwing more power at the speaker that it rated for instead. With the signal distorted, the speaker coils can not track cleanly, and this cause the coil wire to make contact to the side of the channel to wear their protective wire coatings, to cause the coil wired to break. By over powering a speaker with too much power that it rated for with a clean signal, then here is where you can over heat the coil wires to burn them up instead.

Hence the CF speakers are looking for a continuous Power of 30w to play clean (about what the Bose amp puts out)

While the pock's are looking for 100 amps before they will play clean isntead.
Polk DB522
Continuous Power Handling
100W
Peak Power Handling
300W

And yes, if you want a better stereo sound on a Bose system, then you need to replace the two small speakers in the doors, since they are the only speakers that are playing in stereo. The rest of the speakers, including the back two speakers, are just filler speakers playing in mono.

Hence, got No High's, got No Low's, much be Bose!!!!
I can't disagree more the polks have a high sensitivity rating which means they sound as loud as the front.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Rancealot
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default direct replacement

Kicker Cs 5.25 gets the job down better, and since they are as effecent as the OEM speaker, you don't run into balancing problems with a rear speaker not playing as loud as the front speakers isntead.

https://www.kicker.com/cs-series

Hence some of the problems that you run into with other speakers that are rated for way more power, they don't have the speaker Efficiency/Sensitivity that the lower power that the Bose amp is putting out to start with, and you have to crank the volume of the radio to try to get them to play as loud as the OEM speaker, but with the volume cranked up up, the radio and amp is just putting out a great deal of distorting instead.
Note, you destroy a speaker coil faster by it trying to play a distorted signal, then throwing more power at the speaker that it rated for instead. With the signal distorted, the speaker coils can not track cleanly, and this cause the coil wire to make contact to the side of the channel to wear their protective wire coatings, to cause the coil wired to break. By over powering a speaker with too much power that it rated for with a clean signal, then here is where you can over heat the coil wires to burn them up instead.

Hence the CF speakers are looking for a continuous Power of 30w to play clean (about what the Bose amp puts out)

Polk DB522
100W
Peak Power Handling
300W

And yes, if you want a better stereo sound on a Bose system, then you need to replace the two small speakers in the doors, since they are the only speakers that are playing in stereo. The rest of the speakers, including the back two speakers, are just filler speakers playing in mono.

These are direct replacement speakers no additional equipment needed?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:09 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Then upgrade your source material. Most of my music (classic rock) is re-equalized thru a sound board and put back on my I-POD.
American Woman, Whole Lotta Love, 25 or 6 to 4 etc..sounds amazing on my '13 GS Bose system. I've got high's, got lows and it is Bose!
Just think, if it sounds amazing with the bose system, it will sound even better with something non-Bose.
Bose is and always has been a scam. People hear the name and think quality when it's quite the opposite.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
Just think, if it sounds amazing with the bose system, it will sound even better with something non-Bose.
Bose is and always has been a scam. People hear the name and think quality when it's quite the opposite.
So what do you want? Your contradicting yourself. The Bose will play with great sound if you took the time to play the proper quality music thru it. It's that simple. Just like the oem nav, most people are too stupid to use it so they just knock it when in fact it works really well.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Bose has always been about staging "fill", and not a perfect 20 to 20K stereo separation isntead.

So although the Bose system is good with mid range Fill to try to give the sound stage more over all width area fill, it lacks depth, crispness, and transparency through the entire 20-20K range instead.

To really understand the difference, go find a high end home audio store that has a listening room with electrostatic speakers, run by tube amps. This will set the stage so you understand brightness, clarity, transparency, and rolling deep of playback of 20 to 20K.

Now go to a sound room that has a Bose system set up, and although the room will have plenty of stage fill in the mid range to make the playback sound more wider over all in the room, it's play back will be more of a muddier mid range predominate room fill sound isntead.

So in the vet with Bose system, could be through of as a lounge area type setting, when the music is more for background fill instead.

So by adding actual tweeters In the Bose system, we increase the crispness to the Highs, and with the rear CS speakers able to add more deeper mid base that the base system speakers, we pick up some lower mid base as well.

As for getting the vet to even start to sound like the electrostat/tube amp sound room, that cost a lot of money to even get you 1/2 of the way, since it all steams from the amps outwards, and class A amps do not come cheap to start with.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-17-2018 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C6Whatever (04-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

No one answered Steel City's question and I'd like to know as well. Is this solution good for non-Bose cars as well?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM
pdac
Racer

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Just like the oem nav, most people are too stupid to use it so they just knock it when in fact it works really well.
Yep. That's it. It's common knowledge that the OEM nav is actually a great design, it's just too advanced for stupid people. You definitely hit the nail right on the head there.

Last edited by pdac; 05-25-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added emoji to indicate sarcasm for clarification.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Yep. That's it. It's common knowledge that the OEM nav is actually a great design, it's just too advanced for stupid people. You definitely hit the nail right on the head there.
That may be true, but it's also true that the OEM Nav head unit doesn't come close to comparing to the plethora of features offered on a modern head unit.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Kicker Cs 5.25 gets the job down better, and since they are as effecent as the OEM speaker, you don't run into balancing problems with a rear speaker not playing as loud as the front speakers instead...If you want to swap the fronts to add in tweaters as well, then CS 3.25".
Really counting on you being right, Dano.
Based solely on our past conversation re this subject, your reputation & expertise I bought both size Kickers + a couple pre-owned Bose woofers.

Z's in shop for heads, cam & tune right now.
Asked if they'd install speakers since car would have to sit waiting for parts/turn-around & they said they would.
Glad all four are P&P w/ no additional harness required, too.

TIA, betting sound's improved vs 10 y/o stock gear.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:50 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Kicker Cs 5.25 gets the job down better, and since they are as effecent as the OEM speaker, you don't run into balancing problems with a rear speaker not playing as loud as the front speakers isntead.

Polk DB522
100W
Peak Power Handling
300W

I don't see a 3.25. For the front?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 PM
pdac
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
That may be true, but it's also true that the OEM Nav head unit doesn't come close to comparing to the plethora of features offered on a modern head unit.
I was actually being sarcastic. The OEM Nav System is a pile of garbage. Even when it was new.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I was actually being sarcastic. The OEM Nav System is a pile of garbage. Even when it was new.
Well then....we are in complete agreement.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Bose has always been about staging "fill", and not a perfect 20 to 20K stereo separation isntead.

So although the Bose system is good with mid range Fill to try to give the sound stage more over all width area fill, it lacks depth, crispness, and transparency through the entire 20-20K range instead.

To really understand the difference, go find a high end home audio store that has a listening room with electrostatic speakers, run by tube amps. This will set the stage so you understand brightness, clarity, transparency, and rolling deep of playback of 20 to 20K.

Now go to a sound room that has a Bose system set up, and although the room will have plenty of stage fill in the mid range to make the playback sound more wider over all in the room, it's play back will be more of a muddier mid range predominate room fill sound isntead.

So in the vet with Bose system, could be through of as a lounge area type setting, when the music is more for background fill instead.

So by adding actual tweeters In the Bose system, we increase the crispness to the Highs, and with the rear CS speakers able to add more deeper mid base that the base system speakers, we pick up some lower mid base as well.

As for getting the vet to even start to sound like the electrostat/tube amp sound room, that cost a lot of money to even get you 1/2 of the way, since it all steams from the amps outwards, and class A amps do not come cheap to start with.
No one answered Steel City's question and I'd like to know as well. Is this solution good for non-Bose cars as well?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I just replaced my rear non bose speakers. I used kicker ds series and the difference is noticeable. I'm not saying it's going to win any awards for sounds quality, but it's better.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:27 AM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

LOL. I don't know about "most people" but I removed the OEM HU due to it's last century Bluetooth technology. That was (is) ridiculous.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio56
LOL. I don't know about "most people" but I removed the OEM HU due to it's last century Bluetooth technology. That was (is) ridiculous.
the Bluetooth is not in the OEM nav …...
Old 05-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Polk DB522
100W
Peak Power Handling
300W

I don't see any 3.25 at your link. Are you talking about these:
https://www.kicker.com/cs-tweeters-20

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced Rear Speakers With POLK 522 MM's

Old 05-26-2018, 12:55 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Ok, dumb question. How do I know which sounds system I have?
NVM, figured it out.

Last edited by Matthewstorm; 05-26-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:29 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Why dd you only do the rear's?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

What you are really looking for as far is efficiency

so when working with the factory system and having sufficient volume is key you need to match the ohm rating and by the highest SPL rated speaker you can find

The higher the DB number in the SPL rating the more efficient the speaker is . When using factory amps , go for the highest SPL speaker you can find rated at 4 ohms or less

I went with the the factory NAV head unit , factory amps polks all the way around plus a POLK 10 in sub powered by a 500 watt FOSGATE SUB Amp .... the system rocked

Dave

Quick Reply: Replaced Rear Speakers With POLK 522 MM's