C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever get flipped off?

Old 04-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Lew Shaw
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

At 100mph you will cover 147ft every second. A common driving rule is to stay 2 seconds behind another vehicle since that is the average time it takes for a driver's brain to recognize a problem and direct your body to take some action. at 100mph you will cover 294ft in that 2 seconds. And you think that "2 or 3 car lengths" (60ft or less) is not tailgating! You're the type of idiot that gives Corvette drivers a bad reputation, so please add my middle finger to your collection!
Old 04-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Lew Shaw
At 100mph you will cover 147ft every second. A common driving rule is to stay 2 seconds behind another vehicle since that is the average time it takes for a driver's brain to recognize a problem and direct your body to take some action. at 100mph you will cover 294ft in that 2 seconds. And you think that "2 or 3 car lengths" (60ft or less) is not tailgating! You're the type of idiot that gives Corvette drivers a bad reputation, so please add my middle finger to your collection!
The correct time is actually four seconds, 2 seconds to recognize a danger, and 2 seconds to react to it. The "2 seconds" is an outdated principle.

And btw, EVERY driver in Texas drives that way. If you don't, you get run over.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Actually, I think staying 2-3 car lengths behind at 70 mph could be classified as riding their ***.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I dunno....maybe I missed it, or maybe no one wants to admit it cause they do it to, but no one has mentioned the idiots that can't put down their device while driving. Sure all the peeves mentioned here are definitely annoying and some dangerous. But having your face stuffed in a phone texting or surfing the net is downright deadly to everyone and anyone that gets near the idiots that do this.

Last edited by windyC6; 04-11-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:54 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I dunno....maybe I missed it, or maybe no one wants to admit it cause they do it to, but no one has mentioned the idiots that can't put down their device while driving. Sure all the peeves mentioned here are definitely annoying and some dangerous. But having your face stuffed in a phone texting or surfing the net is downright deadly to everyone and anyone that gets near the idiots that do this.

"hello, my name is chris, and I'm an aggressive driver".
having said that, I'm still considerate to other drivers. up to a point.
if someone is on their phone, then all bets are off.
I had driver a few years back, ******* it in the passing lane.
both her & her passenger were texting on their phones.
as I passed them, I got the finger from both of them ( ? ).
if you're not going to pay attention, call UBER!
The following users liked this post:
Aerovette (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:07 PM
madcityeric
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckedhim
Based on your username, I assume you're in Madison?
Fort Atkinson actually, used to work in Madison
Old 04-11-2018, 06:11 PM
LimaCharlie
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I was on my way to work one morning doing about 5 MPH over the 70 MPH speed limit in the fast lane on the freeway. A guy in a very beat up old Japanese import was on an onramp. He did a 90 degree left turn onto the freeway crossing two lanes and then a 90 degree turn into the fast lane doing about 20 MPH in front of me. I tapped my horn as I swerved into the center lane to keep from hitting him. He had both hands off the steering wheel shaking both social fingers at me while screaming and contorting his face. He was doing it as far as I could see him in the mirrors.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
What's your speed limit? 65, ok 10 over is 75 which is ok IF YOU AREN'T AN IDIOT WITH A FYCKING CELL PHONE GLUED TO THE FACE, not saying you do but too many do.

Camping in the fast lane at 70 is not wrong, that's normal. You see the highways weren't built just for you and your wife to drive 100mph. Get caught running 100 with wife in tow in her car and you guys will be in jail with the cars impounded.

I've been with many women in my day and not 1 ever drove any car 100 mph on the city streets or highways.

I got a good idea you are full of shyt with your story.
camping in the left lane in jurisdiction I am in is illegal and will get you a ticket.law says you have to yield to overtaking traffic even if that traffic is above speed limit.
09ZR1 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM
madcityeric
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckedhim
Based on your username, I assume you're in Madison?
Where are you located?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

What is it you cannot understand about getting FO'd? From the very start, you are "madcityeric"...that gives me some clue right there. Apparently, where you live, you consider it to be a mad and abrasive environment. Second, you are driving two Corvettes down the highway at 100mph, and you are surprised you get flipped off???? I drive that fast, or faster, sometimes, and if I got flipped off, I probably would not see it, but would know it is because I am waaaay over the limit.

I commend you for not taking the FO as an invitation to escalate the situation.

For the record...I cannot recall ever getting FO'd in my Vette. Maybe I am having too much fun, listening to music, enjoying the sensation, etc. to notice anyone who gives me the bird.

Do us all a favor, please, and fill in your bio, including where you are from. That will help a lot with future posts.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 04-11-2018 at 07:33 PM.
CraigA (04-14-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Logan_IDR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely get more hate when driving my Vette. I live in an area where the higher income and lower income are literally a block apart from each other, so I have always gotten the finger when driving around in my nicer cars. My first car, a 2006 Focus, never got any attention. But when I was 18 and stepped up to a 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8, I got the finger, yelled at, followed to my destination, keyed, and even had someone put foil under my tire caps so they would deflate in the parking lot of a mall, causing me to have the car flatbed-ed home (all with normal driving, I save my crazy for vacant side streets and the track). It was hell. Now a year later in my C5, I still get people following me home, yelling at me, and giving me the finger, but they never damage my car. Maybe it is the respect for the corvette, but I much prefer the chuckle I get to see them worked up over nothing to the constant comp claims to insurance ( I am pretty sure Wawaneesa prefers it too).
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Is 100 mph fast?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie
I was on my way to work one morning doing about 5 MPH over the 70 MPH speed limit in the fast lane on the freeway. A guy in a very beat up old Japanese import was on an onramp. He did a 90 degree left turn onto the freeway crossing two lanes and then a 90 degree turn into the fast lane doing about 20 MPH in front of me. I tapped my horn as I swerved into the center lane to keep from hitting him. He had both hands off the steering wheel shaking both social fingers at me while screaming and contorting his face. He was doing it as far as I could see him in the mirrors.
I can abide your subtly-overstated narrative (90-degree turns on the freeway), and just say that I would have gotten his plate, and reported him immediately. Then, it is up to whoever to do something, or not.
It happens everywhere. It happens so often that I cannot recall the last time I went anywhere on the freeway that I did not see someone doing something really dumb, usually texting, or watching a movie while driving.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madcityeric
I don't belive doing 100 is reckless at all, I bought corvettes, not fiestas. And yes, someone camping out in the left lane doing 70 is wrong. However I dont ride there ***, I stay 2-3 cars leanths behind and wait.
Eric, are you serious about 2-3 car lengths at 70mph? If that is a distance you sit and wait at, you are asking for all kinds of trouble. Sometimes, that interval happens easily, when changing lanes, slowing down, etc. But to just roll along like that, waiting, is an accident about to happen.

What if the person in front of you does a gentle "brake check" while you are following that close, just as you happen to glance into your mirror? You will hit them before you even look back to see what is in front of you.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Never been flipped off but I typically keep it at maybe five over and tend to drive defensively and courteously(probably due to all motorcycle training classes and tons of miles I put on every year). If there is an aggressive driver, I stay clear. I suppose if I was driving 100 which is reckless, I would expect a few salutes.
airmed2 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Gee, I guess I've been doing it all wrong for my 50 years of driving close to or a little over the posted limit. Last I checked here in Ohio open road interstate speed limit is 65mph. I have never seen a sign that says left lane is for passing only, unless I was driving too fast to see it. I do remember seeing signs that say 'Slower traffic keep right'

100mph is ok - check (with wife behind doing 100 too)
2-3 cars lengths back at 70mph - check (guy was camping in left lane)
It's a Corvette not a Prius-check

When I drive my Vettes I want all the room on all 4 sides I can get. I try to blend with traffic speed, if the pace is slow I wait for an opening and take it to get in the clear again. I don't even like another car alongside me as the driver is seldom watching the road or me.

I'll continue to drive my way, you guys can drive your way. Won't be asking most of you for driving tips anytime soon though.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 PM
ExxWhy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If someone gets flipped off in a Hyundai, it's the driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever get flipped off?

Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Reckedhim
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Gee, I guess I've been doing it all wrong for my 50 years of driving close to or a little over the posted limit. Last I checked here in Ohio open road interstate speed limit is 65mph. I have never seen a sign that says left lane is for passing only, unless I was driving too fast to see it. I do remember seeing signs that say 'Slower traffic keep right'

100mph is ok - check (with wife behind doing 100 too)
2-3 cars lengths back at 70mph - check (guy was camping in left lane)
It's a Corvette not a Prius-check

When I drive my Vettes I want all the room on all 4 sides I can get. I try to blend with traffic speed, if the pace is slow I wait for an opening and take it to get in the clear again. I don't even like another car alongside me as the driver is seldom watching the road or me.

I'll continue to drive my way, you guys can drive your way. Won't be asking most of you for driving tips anytime soon though.
Your ignorance doesn't make you right. You might want to brush up on your state's laws. Check out ORC 4511.25(B)(1). I won't be asking you for driving tips as you impede traffic in the left lane.
09ZR1 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Gee, I guess I've been doing it all wrong for my 50 years of driving close to or a little over the posted limit.
Then you would be correct. Please move to the right. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

And your ignorance doesn't make you right either. I'm not one to hold anybody up whatever lane I choose to drive in. Never been warned or nailed for driving in left lane. I don't need to brush up on any state laws, it's always the other guy I'm worried about.

As I impede traffic in the left lane,, I'm done here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ever get flipped off?