C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade

Old 04-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Jimmy53
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio upgrade

Hi all,
I just bought a Pristine 2007 C6 with the Bose sound system with 6 cd player and radio. It's the stock system.

I want to upgrade and put in a system with ApplePlay, CD player, radio, and add a back up camera.

Is this going to hurt the value of my Vette if I decide to sell it? (which I doubt)

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

I did same thing and you can swap back to the oem radio in like 20 minutes, seriously. But...i wouldn't think it would hurt the value but won't add to it either just make your driving experience so much better. I only regret waiting so long to make up my mind to swap mine out . I went with the kenwood 9903 and love it, has the Apple car play/Android auto and all possible wants/needs you could imagine . There's lots of other options and you'll get a hundred different opinions . The swap is actually really easy to do your self!
The following users liked this post:
fireparamed (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

My advice is to do what I did. Upgrade to your heart's (and wallet's) content, save everything you pull out, and reverse the process when ready to sell. Nobody will ever know the difference.
fireparamed (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Exactly what Ed said! I kept my oem hu just Incase
Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 PM
Jimmy53
6th Gear

Thanks for the feedback! Didn't look easy to me and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Maybe I don't have the right tools. I just don't want to break some trim or something. I guess if you order from a place like Crutchfield, it will come with instructions?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Jimmy53
6th Gear

Does this car have Onstar? It didn't come with a manual, have one coming.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy53
Thanks for the feedback! Didn't look easy to me and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Maybe I don't have the right tools. I just don't want to break some trim or something. I guess if you order from a place like Crutchfield, it will come with instructions?
It's really not that hard at all, and from what I hear, Crutchfield provides some excellent customer service to help you with the entire install process.
Jimmy53 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Crutchfield is the way to go! I've bought all my equipment from them for years, excellent customer service and yes, they will send you extremely detailed info on how to remove/install. There's no special tools needed. Just take your time. There's many YouTube videos of people showing removal, watch a few and take the best info from the group . Very easy! If you run into a hitch, post back and someone will walk you through your issue!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 AM
WestCyril
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm in the same process of upgrading my audio system in my C6. It looked like a daunting task at first but after searching, searching and searching some more it really isn't.

Most people agree that either a simple headunit upgrade will make a decent difference or just ditch the entire stock system. For your own HU, Speakers, Tweets, Sub, & Amp!

Good luck !
Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Unless you are planning to keep the car for 25 years and sell it to a collector, upgrading the audio to this AMAZING new technology that Kenwood, Pioneer, and others have out makes sense. I just added a Kenwood DDX9703s unit in my 2011 GS and the difference between the original unit and the Kenwood is amazing. I can't imagine any scenario where I, or anybody else would want the original unit back under any circumstances since this will never be a "collector" car. It's ours to drive and enjoy.
fireparamed (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:48 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

The GM Bose factory system is pure garbage. Your doing the world a favor by replacing it. I have a 1LT GS that luckily doesn’t have Bose in it. Will be upgraded soon with a nice unit from Crutchfield.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
The GM Bose factory system is pure garbage. Your doing the world a favor by replacing it. I have a 1LT GS that luckily doesn’t have Bose in it. Will be upgraded soon with a nice unit from Crutchfield.

You have a 1LT that doesn't have the BOSE system in it but declare it's pure garbage?

Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

I'm an audio guy, other cars/truck have fully replaced everything, speakers, amps, etc.. But in my vette which did have the bose system all I replaced was the head unit and the sound now is totally awesome! The factory bose speakers and amp are in my opinion actually really good. The factory radio sound quality was horrible compared could to a kenwood. Wish i would have done this the day i bought the car! I actually drive it more because of this upgrade
Old 04-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
I'm an audio guy, other cars/truck have fully replaced everything, speakers, amps, etc.. But in my vette which did have the bose system all I replaced was the head unit and the sound now is totally awesome! The factory bose speakers and amp are in my opinion actually really good. The factory radio sound quality was horrible compared could to a kenwood. Wish i would have done this the day i bought the car! I actually drive it more because of this upgrade
Thats how I feel about my GS after replacing the head. Sound is damned good IMO. Of course, those true audophiles are never pleased....
Old 04-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Jimmy53
6th Gear

Thanks Kenwood it will be when we get back b
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It's really not that hard at all, and from what I hear, Crutchfield provides some excellent customer service to help you with the entire install process.
You did the install yourself?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
You did the install yourself?
Yes. Head unit, component door speakers, rear speakers, amplifier, two crossovers, two 10" subs in the trunk, heavy duty speaker wire run to all speakers in place of the factory wiring, and even heavier duty power & ground wires run to the battery from the amp. I did the whole job while I had the seats out for the new covers.

Get notified of new replies

To Audio upgrade

Old 04-17-2018, 11:40 AM
onemortoy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Thats how I feel about my GS after replacing the head. Sound is damned good IMO. Of course, those true audophiles are never pleased....
I did the same in my 04 and 06 vert, put in my Pioneer AVIC head unit left the Bose. I’m pleased.
I have Bose in my other cars and home, but I know some hate them. Each to his own.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:44 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,444 Likes on 753 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

C6 Corvette is one of the easiest stereo upgrades to do. I did mine in 3 hrs casually start to finish. Crutchfield has all of the adapters, etc to make it go super easy, and a support staff second to none!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
I did same thing and you can swap back to the oem radio in like 20 minutes, seriously. But...i wouldn't think it would hurt the value but won't add to it either just make your driving experience so much better. I only regret waiting so long to make up my mind to swap mine out . I went with the kenwood 9903 and love it, has the Apple car play/Android auto and all possible wants/needs you could imagine . There's lots of other options and you'll get a hundred different opinions . The swap is actually really easy to do your self!
I also regret waiting almost 4 years before swapping might. I also went with a Kenwood system, not only does it have more features/functions and sound better, I was able to easily add a backup camera. IMO you can't go wrong and won't regret going with either a Kenwood or Pioneer system.

Last edited by Welker1; 04-17-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio upgrade