C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I Ruin a Toyo R888 by Driving on it 2-Miles Flat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Did I Ruin a Toyo R888 by Driving on it 2-Miles Flat?

UPDATE 4/20
the tire was not damaged from driving on it. But the tire is unrepairable as it has a hole in the corner of the side wall.

Everybody is out of Toyo r888, and r888r in this size. TOYO CS doesn't even know when they'll make another batch, or at least they're not telling my tire shops.
FWIW; Found some new on eBay
========
I drove less than 2 mi on a flat toyo r888 rear tire on my Grand Sport. Do you think the tire is ruined?
I'd take it down to the tire shop, but while I was waiting for an articulating flatbed tow truck I ruptured my achilles tendon.
checking online, and checking my tire stores there are no r888 or r888r tires anywhere.
my legs in a cast and I can't put any weight on my foot.
so, while being racked up I wanted to see what the consensus is on if the tire can be repaired or not, assuming the leak can be patched. The tires have less than a thousand miles on them.
obviously getting a flat tire with a non run-flat is a PIA, but they grip like hell
TIA

Last edited by Chiselchst; 04-21-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 04-13-2018, 10:43 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
I drove less than 2 mi on a flat toyo r888 rear tire on my Grand Sport. Do you think the tire is ruined?
I'd take it down to the tire shop, but while I was waiting for an articulating flatbed tow truck I ruptured my achilles tendon.
checking online, and checking my tire stores there are no r888 or r888r tires anywhere.
so, while being racked up I wanted to see what the consensus is on if the tire can be repaired or not, assuming the leak can be patched. The tires have less than a thousand miles on them.
obviously getting a flat tire with a non run-flat is a PIA, but they grip like hell
TIA
My guess is yes.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

OP: How did you ruin your tendon waiting for a tow truck?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:56 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If at very low speed, my guess is no. The problem will be if the rim damaged the sidewall.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies.
​​​​​ The rim is not damage from what I could see and I didn't exceed 10 or 15 miles an hour when it went flat. It happened on the freeway and there was no place to pull over.
I ruptured my tendon walking through a patch of ivy that had vines that were like wires or rope while I was waiting for the tow truck. It was a 1-1/2 wait and I was waiting under a pine tree that had ivy growing under it.
​​​​The Ivy was thin and cut low, but apparently it had been there for quite some time as the vines were really thick. Like a wire snare animal trap.
It was a bad day.

Last edited by Chiselchst; 04-14-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:31 AM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, the sidewall has been compromised and it is no longer safe. Don't trust it, just replace it. Hope you heal fast!
Old 04-14-2018, 08:06 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

It's trashed. Don't try to save a little money; replace it. Do you really want to risk a blowout when driving at highway speeds? That is very likely when it will let loose.

Last edited by BadAV; 04-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:18 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
Yes, the sidewall has been compromised and it is no longer safe. Don't trust it, just replace it. Hope you heal fast!
Better safe then sorry, once you drive it flat, the sidewall more then likely has internal damage, why take chance with a blow out down the road.
I hope you have fast recovery, when I damaged mind, had a boot for 6 months, good thing it was my left foot.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 04-14-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 AM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
It's trashed. Don't try to save a little money; replace it. Do you really want to risk a blowout when driving at highway speeds? That is very likely when it will let loose.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Yes, probably.

To confirm, remove tire and look for rubber debris inside the carcass.

S**t happens, the cost of the tire was the fee to get you to a save place. But good news with less than 1000 miles on the set, you only need to buy one!

Good luck (with your heel too).
Old 04-14-2018, 09:18 AM
WestCyril
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I would dare to say its not been structurally damaged to the point it cant be used.
I would take it to a tire shop and see what they think youll be amazed at what a tire can go through!

But like others are saying a blowout is a possibility on any tire regardless, if you want the piece of mind I would order a tire now so that it arrives in time!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

TIA
Hey man. Sorry to hear about this. That was a really bad day for sure. I saw you mention that on the other thread, but didn’t realize that it was all connected. That really sucks.
Ever since I got rid of the GY runflats, I bought myself one of those small compressors and a can of fixaflat and put those in the rear cubby, just in case. Obviously, that won’t be any help if I cut a tire really bad, but should be able to get me home in most instances of a nail puncture or so.
I don’t know if I would use that tire again, especially if it has any visible damage. The problem would be the sidewall being compromised from being mashed between the road and the lip on the wheel. Obviously, run flats are designed to handle that, and if a non-run flat tire is designed with a still enough sidewall and the drive isn’t long, it might survive. But I have no experience with the 888s, although I had a good friend who ran them on his C5 for years, which he used for Time Attack. But I remember him saying that they weren’t good long term street tires, because after several heat cycles, they tended to get hard and didn’t hook as good. This was like 5 years ago though, so maybe the newer 888Rs are better.
It’s really dumb that no one has them in stock though. Hope you find one soon and that you’re soon back up on your feet.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you everyone, thanks Sammy.
In hindsight it may have been less than 1 mile. I would expect to see the tire damaged from the rim as stated above also. I don't have any problem with spending money and buying new tires. I do need to drive the car enough to reset the trip cycle on the O2 sensor to pass smog, and if I can't get a tire I was hoping I might be able to repair the Tire enough to pass smog as that's time-sensitive ( the battery was disconnected when I install the new stereo, apparently erasing the O2 sensor history).
What would suck is if I had to buy another set of tires to do that, and then treplace them with some new Toyo's later if I did that this would be the 3rd or 4th set of tires I've ran on this car, not replacing because they're worn just replacing to upgrade.
yeah the small compressor and can of slime or fix a flat, that was pretty irresponsible to drive without that stuff in my car. Normally I don't Venture far from home and in the Bay Area I'm never too far from paying $300 for a 5-mile tow LOL.
Having a flat tire and going through this has given me a different perspective, it's the first flat tire I've had on any of my three vehicles in maybe a decade.
I will replace a tire when it becomes available, it's not worth that high risk...
Originally Posted by CI GS
Hey man. Sorry to hear about this. That was a really bad day for sure. I saw you mention that on the other thread, but didn’t realize that it was all connected. That really sucks.
Ever since I got rid of the GY runflats, I bought myself one of those small compressors and a can of fixaflat and put those in the rear cubby, just in case. Obviously, that won’t be any help if I cut a tire really bad, but should be able to get me home in most instances of a nail puncture or so.
I don’t know if I would use that tire again, especially if it has any visible damage. The problem would be the sidewall being compromised from being mashed between the road and the lip on the wheel. Obviously, run flats are designed to handle that, and if a non-run flat tire is designed with a still enough sidewall and the drive isn’t long, it might survive. But I have no experience with the 888s, although I had a good friend who ran them on his C5 for years, which he used for Time Attack. But I remember him saying that they weren’t good long term street tires, because after several heat cycles, they tended to get hard and didn’t hook as good. This was like 5 years ago though, so maybe the newer 888Rs are better.
It’s really dumb that no one has them in stock though. Hope you find one soon and that you’re soon back up on your feet.

Last edited by Chiselchst; 04-14-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:48 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Thank you everyone, thanks Sammy.
I don't have any problem with spending money and buying new tires. I do need to drive the car enough to reset the trip cycle on the O2 sensor to pass smog, and if I can't get a tire I was hoping I might be able to repair the Tire enough to pass smog as that's time-sensitive.
What would suck is if I had to buy another set of tires to do that, and then treplace them with some new Toyo's later if I did that this would be the fifth and sixth set of tires I've ran on this car, not replacing because they're worn just replacing to upgrade.
yeah the small compressor and can of slime or fix a flat, that was pretty irresponsible to drive without that stuff in my car. Normally I don't Venture far from home and in the Bay Area I'm never too far from paying $300 for a 5-mile tow LOL.
Having a flat tire and going through this has given me a different perspective, it's the first flat tire I've had on any of my three vehicles in maybe a decade.
I will replace a tire when it becomes available, it's not worth that high risk...

could you possibly borrow a set of wheels and tires for the smog test?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:01 AM
QAS
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
Old 04-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hadn't eve thought of that. My neighbor has 7 Corvettes, I'll check with him!
Thanks
Originally Posted by irok
could you possibly borrow a set of wheels and tires for the smog test?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:50 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

If your tire isn’t visibly damaged and a tire shop doesn’t think the sidewall has been compromised, I would just try reusing it for a bit, and just drive it around slowly at first to test it.
Then, when there’s new ones in stock, order two new rear tire and smoke both the old tires off and replace em both!

Get notified of new replies

To Did I Ruin a Toyo R888 by Driving on it 2-Miles Flat?

Old 04-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I like the way you think...
I'll get back to you on if they Harden after several heat Cycles LOL.
You're such a bad influence...

Originally Posted by CI GS
If your tire isn’t visibly damaged and a tire shop doesn’t think the sidewall has been compromised, I would just try reusing it for a bit, and just drive it around slowly at first to test it.
Then, when there’s new ones in stock, order two new rear tire and smoke both the old tires off and replace em both!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

It was a bad day.
Good grief, I'd say.
Not being an **** but it almost read as a parody. Anything, but.

Be thankful if rim's not damaged, I'm w/ Pete2K though.
Sidewall took an awful beating, even tho' only a 1K tire it's probably been damaged beyond repair.

'Nons' may grip better & lighter but your hellish experience is precisely why I've stuck w/ RFs on a C5 & 2 C6s.
Simply don't want to deal w/ the drama I'd find myself in one day.
As it is over all those RF years only 1 blowout, safely drove 25 miles to dealer.
Even then, had to buy a new replacement.
Dealer refused to repair it -- liability issues.
RFs can get one outa a jam, but they're likely to have to replace it anyway. YMMV

A quick recovery to you, man.
Blown AT has to hurt like bloody hell.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:20 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

No possible way that tire is any good

Quick Reply: Did I Ruin a Toyo R888 by Driving on it 2-Miles Flat?