C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 - Remote Control Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default C6 - Remote Control Start

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 A6 (base); I'm thinking of adding the Remote start to it. There's a guy in our neighborhood who has a 2018 Camaro SS with remote start. He warms up the engine while the car is in driveway before stepping into it. I think it saves a little time and get your engine & interior temps set before driving away. I kinda like the idea. What's your feedback?

If yes, what product to use (and hopefully, it does not interfere with the alarm or other electronic systems).
Old 04-15-2018, 04:50 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I haven't read about anyone on here doing it because you would have to leave a fob in the car at all times and who would want to do that.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:02 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I haven't read about anyone on here doing it because you would have to leave a fob in the car at all times and who would want to do that.
Yep....And theres just something scary about having to tear into all that wiring (I assume). Me and wiring get along about as good as me and people that have black wheels....LOL...
Old 04-15-2018, 05:04 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

You live in California and you need to warm up the car before driving??????
Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Had remote start on my 2015 C7 and never used it. Don't think letting the car just sit and run is much benefit to the car. Understand it is best for the car to start up and after a few moments move on. Lastly, if the car was set up at the factory with remote start option fine, but not so sure such a add and interface with electronics will function as advertised over time. Hopefully so. It may not matter but do you think such a modification would be a selling positive selling point for re-sale? Not trying to rain on the parade just my 2 cents.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:24 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Viper alarms system offers remote start without need for FOB in car. Car can't be driven until FOB is present though and car must be automatic (not available for manual).
Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
Viper alarms system offers remote start without need for FOB in car. Car can't be driven until FOB is present though and car must be automatic (not available for manual).
I can't imagine how that works considering the fact that after the car is started the fob is no longer required for anything. Maybe the door just stays locked or something?

Last edited by EVRose; 04-16-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:05 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

I can't imagine how that works considering the fact that after the car is started the fob is no longer required for anything. Maybe the door just stays locked or something?
I don't know and confess I haven't seen it work, but the option shows on Viper's site when you do a build for a C6 and I sent them an email asking for confirmation and this is what they replied:

APR 13, 2018 03:34PM PDT
Karla replied:
Sir, I just checked with our tech support and we do have compatible systems for your vehicle. Since the installation is complex, you would need to find an installer that is willing to do the installation. To find a dealer in your area, pleas visit our website at: www.directed.com and select the "where to buy" link.
Best regards,

Karla Sullivan
Consumer Support Representative

I know in my Jeep I can remote start it, but still cannot drive away until pressing the start button again with the key fob in the car, maybe they have a method similar, don't know.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 AM
Skyfox16
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just my thoughts but wouldn't this be similar to any other car that has a fob / smart key?

My infiniti Q50 has a fob and i had a viper remote start added. It remote starts the car but if you unlock the car and press the brake pedal to shift into drive without the fob inside the car, it turns off. The car looks for the key to be present before letting you shift and drive away if it has been remote started. If you remote start the car with it unlocked, it turns off as soon as you open a door.

I found a shop that had done a lot of smartkey installs and specifically Infiniti/Nissan installs and they explained this is how it would work and it does.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:40 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Originally Posted by Skyfox16
Just my thoughts but wouldn't this be similar to any other car that has a fob / smart key?

My infiniti Q50 has a fob and i had a viper remote start added. It remote starts the car but if you unlock the car and press the brake pedal to shift into drive without the fob inside the car, it turns off. The car looks for the key to be present before letting you shift and drive away if it has been remote started. If you remote start the car with it unlocked, it turns off as soon as you open a door.

I found a shop that had done a lot of smartkey installs and specifically Infiniti/Nissan installs and they explained this is how it would work and it does.
That's probably correct and exactly how my Jeep Grand Cherokee works.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hey guys,

I have a 2008 A6 (base); I'm thinking of adding the Remote start to it. There's a guy in our neighborhood who has a 2018 Camaro SS with remote start. He warms up the engine while the car is in driveway before stepping into it. I think it saves a little time and get your engine & interior temps set before driving away. I kinda like the idea. What's your feedback?

If yes, what product to use (and hopefully, it does not interfere with the alarm or other electronic systems).
The problem with the C6 Corvette is the electronics are all from 2005 (yes, even in my 2013). I don't know of any 2005 GM vehicle that supported remote start from the factory. Pretty much any aftermarket system would have to either have a key fob present in the vehicle and simulate a brake pedal press along with a starter button press, or it would have to comprehensively modify the vehicle wiring to allow starting the vehicle without proper authorization from the RCDLR.

Not that this approach isn't perfectly valid, I just don't personally trust someone to wire up a "universal" remote start module to the electronics of this vehicle without expecting some further electronic problems in the future.

For a couple of years, I've been considering looking into the difficulty of developing a CANBUS plug-and-play remote start system controlled via Bluetooth, but I just haven't had the time to start playing with the CAN stuff. Maybe this year....

Get notified of new replies

To C6 - Remote Control Start

Quick Reply: C6 - Remote Control Start