C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stranded any advice would help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 PM
DealmakerC6
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stranded any advice would help!

2007 base literally 212,000 miles bone stock engine turns over strong but will not fire, any ideas?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DealmakerC6
2007 base literally 212,000 miles bone stock engine turns over strong but will not fire, any ideas?
Fuel pump, pump relay you can swap relays.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Truly stranded.
This is tough.

Quickest is to inspect your fuses.

1) Spark or fuel.
That's the first thing to uncover.

2) You should also see if there are any error codes to offer a lead to fuel or spark.
But do you have a reader as your stranded.

Even if deduced on the side of the road, you may need to get to a shop.
If spark, there are a many sensors to trace and test.
If fuel, with so many miles, I hate to say it could be fuel pump failure.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

I think there is a Schraeder valve on the fuel rail, depress it, see if you have fuel to the rail.
Any codes?

Last edited by Cooter Tech; 04-17-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Call a tow truck?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:45 AM
DealmakerC6
Advanced

Thanks everyone, I got it started by having someone press the start button, while I banged on the top of the underhood fuse block. I must have a short inside. I will bring it to a local auto electric shop tomorrow. I tightened the bolts a bit inside the fuse block also. I had to pull the fuse for the interior map lights because after I got the car started they would stay on. Damn gremlins. Drove an hour and a half back home without further issues. I'll post what the electrician finds on this thread.

Im just glad I was in cajun country! 5 guys showed up to help. Had no idea who they were.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:03 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Thanks everyone, I got it started by having someone press the start button, while I banged on the top of the underhood fuse block. I must have a short inside. I will bring it to a local auto electric shop tomorrow. I tightened the bolts a bit inside the fuse block also. I had to pull the fuse for the interior map lights because after I got the car started they would stay on. Damn gremlins. Drove an hour and a half back home without further issues. I'll post what the electrician finds on this thread.

Im just glad I was in cajun country! 5 guys showed up to help. Had no idea who they were.
Good, Red Necks strike again! The pound on it for a while repair.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Good, Red Necks strike again! The pound on it for a while repair.
Love Red Necks!

Attachment 48347468
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bruze
Love Red Necks!

Card Carrying member! Sad that the only place you can find baling wire is at Tractor Supply and the fact that duct tape leaves a residue after holding parts together for a few years.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Card Carrying member! Sad that the only place you can find baling wire is at Tractor Supply and the fact that duct tape leaves a residue after holding parts together for a few years.
Don't forget a pair of panty hose in case the fan belt breaks.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Yupper!

Durned wimmin can come in handy sometimes too. Glad I had Mamma with me the other day. An' glad she ain't no skinny bitch.

Name:  fA8ZJn2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  24.0 KB
Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Yupper!

Durned wimmin can come in handy sometimes too. Glad I had Mamma with me the other day. An' glad she ain't no skinny bitch.

That’s funny, whatever works.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

That’s funny, whatever works.
We're still madly in love after all these years -- I even let her ride back with me after I got the tire fixed.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

We're still madly in love after all these years -- I even let her ride back with me after I got the tire fixed.

Beauty is but a light switch away, or closing time.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 PM
DealmakerC6
Advanced

Ok, Update. Wasn't able to find the auto-electrician today. So I disassembled the fusebox, and found that there was a possible loose connection at the fuel pump relay. Reassembled and had the same problem. I proceeded to torque down (carefully) on the four bolts inside the fuse box, paying particular attention to the second bolt from the front, which I tightened a bit more than the rest. I don't want to jinx myself, but its started perfectly 8 times or so since. Went ahead with an oil & filter change and it is still starting. I don't know how that bolt would have backed off, but it seems to be fixed.
The following 2 users liked this post by DealmakerC6:
Bruze (04-18-2018), jdvann (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Ok, Update. Wasn't able to find the auto-electrician today. So I disassembled the fusebox, and found that there was a possible loose connection at the fuel pump relay. Reassembled and had the same problem. I proceeded to torque down (carefully) on the four bolts inside the fuse box, paying particular attention to the second bolt from the front, which I tightened a bit more than the rest. I don't want to jinx myself, but its started perfectly 8 times or so since. Went ahead with an oil & filter change and it is still starting. I don't know how that bolt would have backed off, but it seems to be fixed.
Thanks for stopping back and letting the forum know what seemed to correct your issue!

One additional thing you may want to do after verifying that it continues to start and run without issue, would be to remove each of the bolts, one at a time, add some Loctite to them, to prevent them from loosening again. Just a thought................

Last edited by rkj427; 04-18-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Heat will also cause this problem. Check your fuel pump relay and fuse box connectors for signs of heat. Heat will cause the connectors to expand and lose the connection. Failing fuel pump can draw too much current and cause the overheating problem also.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=DealmakerC6;1597021493] I had to pull the fuse for the interior map lights because after I got the car started they would stay on. Damn gremlins.

You did not mention if you fixed this other than pulling the fuse. The dimming **** for the instruments is the on/off switch for the interior lights by pushing it in. Many on here have by accident pushed it in. You need to replace your fuse and get in the car, close the door and see if the lights go out. If they do not, push that **** in and see if they go off. The interior lights will come on when it is dark if a door or the trunk is opened, check the owner's manual.

Hope you got the start problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Stranded any advice would help!

Quick Reply: Stranded any advice would help!