C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 PM
K2l2eve
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me into it.

So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! is the car really worth the money I'm not the richest man but make enough to make my mortgage and pay the payment on the 30k car but won' have a ton left over after the 2. I was looking at a base model but I'll put 10k into it by the end and be no where near the ZO6. I could do the base model a little more comfortably but the Z looks tempting. Just wanted some input before I jump the gun and get slapped in the face with a payment on something I'm not in love with.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 AM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I would not want a Z06 simply because the roof panel is not removable. Driving with the top off is half the fun of the car for me and my wife. You might find a Grand Sport which would be a bit less than a Z. Some of the Z cars had valve problems too. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:40 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The heads make me nervous.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM
ValegoC6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, find a GS car. Love the removable roof, and if the heads aren't addressed on a Z then you are in deep trouble. I made a base 3LT car just as fast as a Z and was worth every penny.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by K2l2eve
So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! is the car really worth the money I'm not the richest man but make enough to make my mortgage and pay the payment on the 30k car but won' have a ton left over after the 2. I was looking at a base model but I'll put 10k into it by the end and be no where near the ZO6. I could do the base model a little more comfortably but the Z looks tempting. Just wanted some input before I jump the gun and get slapped in the face with a payment on something I'm not in love with.
Get a nice base model with a manual and upgrade at your convenience.Remember in 2008 they bumped up the horsepower to 430.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,109 Likes on 690 Posts

Confucius say: "How much can you afford after you take out 15% of your paycheck for retirement?"
The following users liked this post:
airmed2 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 AM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

Test drive a standard base, a GS and then a Z06. You will want the Z I promise. The 427 is intoxicating and you will want no other. Addressing the heads is not that big of a deal if you are even a little mechanically inclined. It will cost you almost twice the ammount if you cant do the work yourself. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:24 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

First off, welcome to the forum!!

Drive then both. I've had a targa, moonroof, sunroof for so long now I couldn't go with a solid roof.

Buy what makes you happy!

Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I would highly recommend going for the Z06. I went with a base model at first as well because the Z06 was slightly out of my price range. I loved it, but I wanted a Z06 every time I saw a wide body C6 pull up next to me. I was always jealous. Don't get me wrong. The base C6 is still a fantastic car. The wide body panels really makes the car look so much better though. I was never interested in a GS. I wanted those awesome features that come with having a Z06 such as CF front fenders, balsa wood floorboard, lighter weight, and of course that magnificent 7k redline 427 engine.

Soon after getting the base C6, I started to want to do some mods to it. I was interested in things like side skirts, front splitter, and extended spoiler. I started to notice that these mods don't look as nice on the base model compared to the wide body C6. I also toyed around with getting my calipers powder coated red. I decided I didn't want to put all this money into it if it didn't look that great and if I was planning to get a Z06 once I was able to.

I ended up getting a higher paying job not too soon after that allowed me to get the car I always wanted. I had my previous C6 for just over a year, but I was planning to swap to a Z06 by around month 8 or 9. I spent several months looking for the perfect Z06 for me. I got my JSB Z06 last year in August and it's been smiles ever since. The only drawback is no removable roof, but it's not a huge deal for me being in Florida. It's usually far too hot to have the roof off. I would much rather have the LS7 than a removable roof anyways.

The heads issue is definitely real. I would highly recommend looking for one on the forums where the heads have already been fixed (what I did) or plan to spend roughly $2,000 to have this done. I was terrified at the thought of a valve dropping on the way home from buying it so I eventually decided that I only wanted to buy one where the fix was already done.

Best of luck with your decision. If you have the funds, go with the Z06. You won't regret it. Feel free to PM me if you have any Z06 related questions. Glad to help!

Last edited by Frankie15; 04-17-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Since you stated that buying a Vette may stretch your available funds, something else to consider is service costs, repairs, and the cost of tires. If you have a lead foot, any of these will eat tires, but tires for the base model tend to be a fair bit cheaper than those on the GS/Z06 wide-bodies. As an example, here's a Discount Tire comparison of a full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (one of the most popular tires for this car) between the narrow body (base) and wide body models (GS/Z06):

BASE~
Front: $218 ea
Back: $276 ea
Total: $988

Grand Sport / Z06~
Front: $268 ea
Rear: $473 ea
Total: $1,484

Keep in mind, this is one of the older/cheaper Pilot Super Sport tire models. Prices just go up from there.

Last edited by drew_c6; 04-17-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:01 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

If you are stretching your budget to get a Z06 just because then I would highly suggest getting a nice base. You don't want to be stuck unable to cover expenses such as tires and brakes and if something breaks the car is put up in the air for an unknown period of time. 430hp is a lot of power, especially in a 3300lbs car. BUT, it's only money right??
drew_c6 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Don't need to be a rich man to own a C6 Z06, probably a good idea to be financially stable though.

Car isn't as 'cheap' to own/operate, per se.
Tires, brakes, insurance, normal maint and fuel --if a DD.
IF intending as a DD, where do you live? Snow?
Most Z06 owners have a 'winter' car, many more a DD taking mileage hit. Add a beater + insurance.
Place to store Z06, can't forget that.
Clutch goes? Bummer dude, -$2K.
Fuel pump(s) crap-out. Bummer dude. -$2K.
And as suggested good idea having heads rebuilt, $2-$5K, YMMV.
Dropped valve = many thousands to recover & reason behind taking proactive action w/ preventative head maint before a potential disaster has a chance to occur.
Somewhat unique to LS7, must-know stuff & not to be taken lightly.

Don't worry, you'll love it. LS7. Orig owner '08. Loved it every day of past 10 years.
In spite of a potential, and fixable, flaw LS7 will always be in a class of its own. Learn about LS7. Drive one. You'll love it, alright.
Would one make financial sense for a tip-n-tuck budget?

Yokesc5 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Personally I have to have a convertible, but if you can stand the fixed roof, I would recommend the Z06. For me, there is just nothing like that LS7. I had a LS2 before and loved it, but there is no comparison.

I do not think you will be disappointed.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,793 Posts

Honestly, I would advise against it. As others have said, it is an expensive car to operate. If your budget is 30k, you'e looking at high mileage cars that can likely turn into money pits.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Personally, if you have to stretch your budget to buy a sports car, I would consider buy a daily beater and holding off until my financial situation improved. As someone else already pointed out, normal up keep (i.e. tires) alone can be expensive; if you run into a situation where you need repairs, the cost can get pretty steep fairly fast even if you are a DIYer.

That being said, I have a base with the Z51 and 3LT packages, love it and have never regretted getting it over the ZO6, mainly because I enjoy being able to have the top off (as it is right now). If you prefer the wide body, I would recommend going with GS; has basically the same styling as the ZO6, but costs less.

Good luck in your decision

Last edited by Welker1; 04-17-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:22 PM
WestCyril
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I to was saving up for 08+ C6Z but all the nice well documented ones are going for 38k+. The 28-32k C6Z are high mileage, rough condition, no documentation, and usually havent had the heads looked at or addressed. I opted for a 08 base that was much cheaper, and had some mods already done. I ended up getting the car for close to what I was planning on putting down on a C6Z..

Car still gets tons of looks, is a blast to drive, but doesn't have such a big price tag. Corvette are expensive machines to maintain and take car of regardless of model. Its never a good idea to heavily modify a car that is being financed either. My plans for the C6 are to make it a street car that makes 800+ so I didn't need all the bells and whistles, I didn't need to pay the extra cash for a creampuff never seen rain, snow, climate controlled vette. My car will be driven in any weather, it will be outside 80% of the time etc. I would go for a GS or Base

Last edited by WestCyril; 04-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:06 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

I can't comment on your financial situation, because that is personal and only YOU can decide on how much to spend and still be comfortable.

But with respect to the car, if you are financially comfortable with the Z06, that (in my opinion) is the way to go. I have owned a coupe, two different Z06s and a Grand Sport. Hands down, the Z06 was the most fun to drive and the best of the bunch. But that was me, I really enjoyed the extra power, I don't need or want a removable roof. Ask yourself what is most important to you and drive them all before you decide.

Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Talk me into it.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! is the car really worth the money I'm not the richest man but make enough to make my mortgage and pay the payment on the 30k car but won' have a ton left over after the 2.
A used vet is not for you.

They are expensive for upkeep, and going to find that out very quickly owning one instead.

Hence if you are going to own a vet, what you pay for it, and what you spend for its upkeep, better be from extra front pocket type money alone.

Hell, even on a vet that is still under warranty, there are items on the vet that are not covered under the warranty that are considered wear running cost items, and they get expensive in short order too.

Tires on a z06 will run you $2k per set. Brakes if the rotors needed to be replaced, another $2k. Clutch on a vet is $3K, and unless you find a garage queen, bank that the previous owner was hard on the car and only a matter of time before parts need replacing.

Bottom line, in regards to a used vet that has seen a multitude of owner, it not the vet was sold to buy a new vet, but most of the time the vet sold since the old owner could not afford the upkeep on the car isntead.

So barring finding a one owner garage queen/well kept car, what you end up on a used vet is a pile of problems that the old owner did not fix and why it was sold off, nor the dealer selling the car fixing all the problem before selling it, and your just buying someone else's problem to begin with.

Now I not saying that you can find a good used one owner vet to start with since they they are few and scares on an older C6's, but even finding such, your still going to have the upkeep costs that you have not budgeted for to start with..

Bottom line, if the motor goes south on a z06, your looking at $10K for a new one, and you better have at least twice that amount of money in your toy funds piggy bank money for if the time come up instead. If you don't blow a motor, then plan on the car nickle and dime'g you even once in a while for a few grand a pop isntead.

Bottom line, the vet is just another toy in the toy box, and you better have a lot of extra fun money not being put to any use (investment retire funds already covered) if you plan on owning a vet. Hence think of the vet at a boat, and just a hole in water that you pour/waste buckets of money at isntead.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

ummmmm........don't do it.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:23 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! ...30k car...
Just me but a $30k Z06 will be an '06-'08 with a ton of miles.

Quick Reply: Talk me into it.