C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Stevergk
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please.

I have a doctorate degree and cannot figure out how to ask a question on this website. I guess it is in the wrong subject. Anyway, if anyone gets this, I have purchased a 2005 C6 with only 36,000 miles but I can't believe the amount of things wrong with this car. I have had the coolant system serviced, oil changed, steering wheel realigned and front end aligned to match the steering column. I had to replace the left and right turn signal levers since the steering column was off center and the cancelling cams would not work. I have replaced every switch in the thing, door releases, all air filters, the cabin filter looked like it had rats nest in it. and I purchased this thing from a so called dealer. Now, I have a seat belt light for the passenger side that stays on continuously no matter if someone is there or not. But the biggest thing is that the mechanics who reset the front end alignment said the antilock brakes had all been disconnected and plugged. My question, should I try to get the brakes re-established or just keep them as manual? Are all vette
s with only 36k this screwed up?
Thanks, Steve
Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 PM
C5TommyR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vette problems

Sounds like a very bad previous owner/ owners
Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by C5TommyR
Sounds like a very bad previous owner/ owners
Sounds like it was very mistreated and/or neglected; did you get a Carfax report on it? Not always reliable, but may provide some clues as to why all the issues. To answer your question about the brakes, personally I would get the antilock brakes fixed.

It's unfortunate you are having so many issues right out of the gate, especially if this is your first Corvette. Although they have been known to have some issues, in my experience they are a pretty reliable and well built vehicle. I have a 2006 with almost 100K miles and it has been pretty much issue free (only one relatively minor known issue a couple years back).
Old 04-17-2018, 12:19 AM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Alright, I have to ask this question......being a 13yr old car why didn't you have it checked out and inspected before purchase??
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:22 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

Sounds like a former race car that had been de-modded to a point before it was sold.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Sounds like a former race car that had been de-modded to a point before it was sold.

Sounds like a lot of stuff pulled off and not much done t make it like they weren't ever there, meaning nothing really got put back together correctly.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS
Alright, I have to ask this question......being a 13yr old car why didn't you have it checked out and inspected before purchase??
Sure surprised that someone with a doctorate degree didn't think to do that.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
We all make mistakes... the more expensive the less likely to repeat. My current vette I didn't get inspected beforehand and if I had I would have saved myself a ton of money but you live and learn. Unfortunately you can't trust anyone these days.

Op - while all used cars have some issues the ones you are running into sounds like bad maintenance from previous owners / a track car that got turned back into a road car.

Last edited by 703; 04-17-2018 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:15 AM
Stevergk
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS
Well you are obviously correct sir but I happen to own the thing now so thanks for your wisdom.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:17 AM
Stevergk
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Well, we don't really study cars. and I thank you so much for your help and compassion.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:01 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like something is not right about your car... salvage car? Most Corvettes are relatively trouble free and you have a lemon. If you get tired working on it.... trade it off and get a different car. I had to do it once with my 1977 DD for 13 years. Happens.... I would trade and move on.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

OP, not all Vettes with 36K miles are screwed up like yours. I’m really sorry that you’re having these problems with your first Corvette. I agree with others that your car was probably modified and poorly returned to original condition and was clearly not well maintained by the previous owner (s). I’ve owned two Corvettes, a 2005 purchased with 12K miles and a ‘12 Grand Sport purchased with 18K miles. I’ve had no problems to speak of like yours. I would absolutely have the anti lock brakes fixed. I couldn’t imagine driving a modern car today without the brakes working as designed. It does sound like this was a track car that had been modified.

Did you happen to get any type of warranty like a 90 day/3K mile one? I’m guessing not but just had to ask. Have you talked with the dealer? If so, I’m curious what response they’ve had? I might consider trading this one if I were you and searching for another. I wish you well.

Last edited by Jstan2014; 04-17-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

I would get a CarFax and also try to get some of the service history from your dealership. Those will give you some insight into the history of the car and possible problems in the past.
I would get the anti-lock brakes working properly and diagnose the light for the passenger seat. That could be something simple as the connection underneath. I don't think all C6s are as troublesome as what you are experiencing (although it was a first year model change). It sounds like it may have been modified or abused by a previous owner.

If you are working on the problems, just take one problem at a time and many on the forum can help you with diagnosis. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:19 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sounds like you found a car that wasn't very well cared for.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:35 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

I would say find a very trustworthy mechanic in your area. Drop the car off and say "just fix it". It will likely be costly but if you want to it to be trouble free I think this is the best route. You could be chasing gremlins down for awhile if you try to fix things one at a time.

My guess is the same as others. It was probably a "race" car and the previous owner cobbled it back together to get it traded in and it went off to auction where your dealer picked it up. Likely unaware of what lied underneath.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Agree with those that have said get a Carfax. Also have dealer to check the VIN to see if it has any "history". Sounds like it was wrecked but I hope I am wrong. Good luck.
Don't worry about some of the comments you receive here. They have all screwed up one time or another. They just don't have the ***** to post it on a forum!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 04-17-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:42 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevergk
I have a doctorate degree and cannot figure out how to ask a question on this website. I guess it is in the wrong subject. Anyway, if anyone gets this, I have purchased a 2005 C6 with only 36,000 miles but I can't believe the amount of things wrong with this car. I have had the coolant system serviced, oil changed, steering wheel realigned and front end aligned to match the steering column. I had to replace the left and right turn signal levers since the steering column was off center and the cancelling cams would not work. I have replaced every switch in the thing, door releases, all air filters, the cabin filter looked like it had rats nest in it. and I purchased this thing from a so called dealer. Now, I have a seat belt light for the passenger side that stays on continuously no matter if someone is there or not. But the biggest thing is that the mechanics who reset the front end alignment said the antilock brakes had all been disconnected and plugged. My question, should I try to get the brakes re-established or just keep them as manual? Are all vette
s with only 36k this screwed up?
Thanks, Steve
As to your first question, I personally wouldn't be driving around with the anitlock brakes disabled. That's a safety issue.

As to your comment 'so called dealer' - either they are officially a car dealer, or not. Was it a chevy or gm dealer? Do you have any kind of safety certification process in your state? Many jurisdictions require that a used car be 'certified' as to its road-worthiness. If so in your state, I can't imagine that it could be certified with the ABS disabled. You should go back and get the dealer to fix that on their dime. Unless of course you bought the car 'as is' in which case it's going to be your dime forever.

The alignment, steering wheel centering (should be part of the alignment), coolant, air filters are routine maintenance paid for by the owner for most cars. Not everyone who owns a vette is a car buff. Maybe they didn't know there was a cabin filter. There literally could have been mice in there if no effort was made to discourage them if the car sat for a while.

If you are talking about the external door releases, most of the problems there can be solved by simply cleaning the contacts on the switch. There's a write up on the forum - takes 15 minutes per switch.

I'd search the forum for the seat belt light problem - might be to do with the wiring harness under the seat.

I don't understand your comment about the right and left turn signal levers. Most if not all cars have only one multi-function lever for turn signal indication. As far as the cams are concerned, I suppose if the wheel was way off center after the front end was aligned, some hack might have taken off the steering wheel and put it back onto the splines so that it was more or less centered. That could explain why the cams didn't work. I'll be honest here and admit that I don't know if you could do this on one of there cars; some other cars you can for sure. If in fact that's what they did, I'd be concerned that something was badly bent in the steering geometry.

There are a lot of switches in that car. If you've had to replace them all, I'd be looking for evidence of water damage, as in flood damage. Take legal action if that's the case - that should have been disclosed to you before you bought it.

As to your second question, which I might modify to read 'are all 13 year old corvettes this screwed up', I'll assume that that's a rhetorical question, since how could anyone know that?

Last edited by FatsWaller; 04-17-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't think beating a dead horse is needed here, but Ron's post above about having the car checked out BEFORE buying is a good one. This isn't a Malibu or Sonic; it's a Corvette. And for those who say it's just a Chevy, yeh, it is. But it has some things on it that other Chevys don't---know any with composite leaf springs? Plus it's probably a little more stressed than other Chevys.

You're in GA---where, who knows? You have at least a couple of good indie shops (Vengeance Racing is a hi po shop but they can probably go over it on a lift and a test drive for a fee), and a couple good dealers like Jim Ellis. Go to them. You DO have a 13 or 14 year old car, and I, and probably you, have no idea how many prior owners. Post-facto, but go bet the whole damn car gone over by someone who knows them either at a dealer or an indie shop.

These are reliable cars but you do have to maintain them every 13 or so years. After all, would you just wander onto a dealer's lot, and take their story for a used $80,000 Ferrari? If the answer is yes, what can I say? Good luck.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:11 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stevergk
Well you are obviously correct sir but I happen to own the thing now so thanks for your wisdom.
I would get an estimate on $$$ to fix the ABS. In the meantime get a Carfax, Autocheck, and go to any GM dealer service dept and ask them to run the VIS and build sheet (both free). This may give you some insight on the history of the car. I would also ask the dealer if they would contact the previous owner and give the previous owner your contact information.
Good luck.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:25 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Pics of car?

I'm sorry the car has had so many problems. I'm sure it's frustrating.

Quick Reply: Help please.