C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM
CECILAMBERSON
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake noise

My 2012 vetted has only 7000 miles on the odometer. While driving the car yesterday I noticed the brakes were make a noise. Just when the car gets close to a full stop it starts a light squeling noise. First time this has happened. Last time out of the garage was several weeks ago.
Thanks,Cecil
Old 04-18-2018, 06:56 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Google for bedding brakes. Then make hard stops from time to time.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 PM
CECILAMBERSON
Instructor

Default Brake noise

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Google for bedding brakes. Then make hard stops from time to time.
Got it, will try that tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Few years ago when I had my 2011 the brakes would squeal from time to time. Chevy tech said it was common and blew out the brake dust with high pressure air and that helped.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Dirty pins/shims can cause this. I would recommend taking the brake pads out and blowing everything out with some compressed air (like Nice Ride mentioned) and possibly putting a little anti-squeal on the shims when reassembling.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Typically squealing is caused from glazed pads and/or glazed rotors. Many times if you have no pedal runout, you can take a orbital sander to the face of the rotor and it dulls it enough to quiet. My buddy put Hawk pads on and they squealed like mad, and he learned that Hawks are designed only for cross drilled rotors, so he moved to AutoZone golds; super quiet and dust far less than Chevy pads.....and they have lifetime warranty meaning you can take them back when you need new pads and they give you a new set gratis.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:09 PM
CECILAMBERSON
Instructor

Originally Posted by gliot1
Typically squealing is caused from glazed pads and/or glazed rotors. Many times if you have no pedal runout, you can take a orbital sander to the face of the rotor and it dulls it enough to quiet. My buddy put Hawk pads on and they squealed like mad, and he learned that Hawks are designed only for cross drilled rotors, so he moved to AutoZone golds; super quiet and dust far less than Chevy pads.....and they have lifetime warranty meaning you can take them back when you need new pads and they give you a new set gratis.

I have cross drilled rotors also. Lots of good ideas to ponder. I did take it out this morning and did the go and stop procedure. I'm going to see if that works before I get more serious. I noticed it doesn't squeal when cold. I'll try the high pressure blow out method next.
Thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Brake noise

Quick Reply: Brake noise