C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoot fire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:50 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
A guy at Acme by the name of Wile E Coyote. He can fix ya up!
This works. Trust me.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:12 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tatos818
How would I tune it to be rich?
If you are serious about wanting to do this, then I would suggest that a question like this implies that perhaps you should not be doing this.

There are a couple of ways to do this, but if you don't understand basic automotive concepts then at this time shooting fire out the back is not a good idea for you. There's a few basic ideas here that you are missing.

However, if you truly are serious, there are many options available to make this happen. Mostly, running rich and heating the exaust up to cause it to catch fire. Heating the exhaust up usually comes from running it flat out (in closed course, legal conditions), and running lean will cause you to get it hotter. Basically, you want to be lean to the point that you overheat everything, wide open throttle to dump copious amounts of fuel into the system, and then snap off throttle to blast all that unspent fuel through the exhaust which is overheated to the point of spontaneous combustion. Not a good idea for someone who doesn't understand basic car tuning. Not a good idea for doing it in situations with average-joe public nearby. And not a good idea for the longevity of your engine. 2nd option would be to run a spark plug into the exhaust tip, set a electrical cut-out to turn off the main plugs and ignite this special one, and that will throw unspent fuel through the exhaust which you then ignite with this special spark plug. Or, as you put it in your opening post, a "flame thrower kit". And even then, those have not proven to be reliable, nor will they ever produce "flames" like you see in movies. They will produce nearly invisible blips of fire that are not impressive visually, but will still damage all the back plastics of the car.

Last edited by mellojoe; 04-20-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Kmoberly
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same set up WITHOUT THE CATS:

- AirRaid CAI
- ARH Long Tubes
- XPipe
- Corsa XTremes

Old 04-21-2018, 10:05 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you say fire?

Last edited by UmX; 04-21-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:21 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Lighten up Francis!
That reminds me it is about time to pull "Stripes" out of the DVD rack and watch it again. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2018, 10:58 AM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Reminds me of an old F**d pickup I had with a 460ci. Driving down the highway, turn off ignition (before steering wheel lock), pump accelerator several times, turn on ignition and KABOOM. Flames ten feet. Unfortunately it eventually would blow off the mufflers.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
That reminds me it is about time to pull "Stripes" out of the DVD rack and watch it again. Thanks!
Is that where that expression came from? It was in reference to the crazy guy with the rifle, "Touch my ****, I'll kill ya!" . . . ?

Originally Posted by mrcopmn
Reminds me of an old F**d pickup I had with a 460ci. Driving down the highway, turn off ignition (before steering wheel lock), pump accelerator several times, turn on ignition and KABOOM. Flames ten feet. Unfortunately it eventually would blow off the mufflers.
Haha, forgot all about that. My older cousin taught me how to do that in his mid- late-40s Chevy "Jalopy" -- it would've been around 1960, give or take. He would do it coming down a long hill by their house.

No doors, no roof, and no muffler, so he didn't have to worry about blowing that up.

Quick Reply: Shoot fire?