Tear in Leather Seat - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tear in Leather Seat

Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 AM
  #1  
Matthewstorm
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Matthewstorm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 466
Thanked 43 Times in 41 Posts
Default Tear in Leather Seat

I just found a tear in my passenger side seatback. It's L shaped about 3mm on each side. Any ideas on best way to fix it? Thanks.
Matthewstorm is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 10:57 AM
  #2  
72GACRZR
CF Senior Member
 
72GACRZR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Marietta Ga.
Posts: 1,707
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Default

When I bought my 2008, I noticed a small star shaped hole in the passenger seat and the dealer had a upholster guy fix it. I do not know what he did but I can not tell where he did it. I would take it to a good upholster in you area.
72GACRZR is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM
  #3  
gliot1
CF Senior Member
 
gliot1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Lake In The Hills IL
Posts: 1,748
Thanks: 0
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13
Default

I am currently fixing a small hole in my drivers seat and having some very good success. First I used a quality, sandable leather filler, then applied some matching interior dye. They best method for the dye I have found is using my figure and lightly smearing; wet sanding with 600 grit between. The filler I used was :

https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Lea...ler-p/lwlf.htm

It would be done, but I have one little dimple left I want to fill and sand. It is coming out very good, almost unnoticeable, but it takes patience and time!
gliot1 is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:05 AM
  #4  
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member
 
Sox-Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Mt. Pleasant S.C.
Posts: 2,161
Thanked 108 Times in 93 Posts
Default

And if repairing the tear doesn't do it for you, you can buy all of the upholstery still. It's less expensive than you would think.
Sox-Fan is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:09 AM
  #5  
Matthewstorm
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Matthewstorm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 466
Thanked 43 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Thanks, I'll look for an upholstery guy in my area.
Matthewstorm is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 AM
  #6  
windyC6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,229
Thanked 333 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Getting it repaired and looking like it was never there is one thing. Getting it to stay looking like that is another if you plan on trying to fix only the bad spot. Your best bet would be to try and find the material that matches the seat. Get enough of it so the entire sewn in area where the bad spot is can be replaced. Then take it to an upholstery shop and have them replace the bad area.......good luck.
windyC6 is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 AM
  #7  
Matthewstorm
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Matthewstorm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 466
Thanked 43 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by windyC6 View Post
Getting it repaired and looking like it was never there is one thing. Getting it to stay looking like that is another if you plan on trying to fix only the bad spot. Your best bet would be to try and find the material that matches the seat. Get enough of it so the entire sewn in area where the bad spot is can be replaced. Then take it to an upholstery shop and have them replace the bad area.......good luck.
Thanks.
Matthewstorm is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:34 AM
  #8  
stingray71
CF Senior Member
 
stingray71's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 841
Thanked 102 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gliot1 View Post
I am currently fixing a small hole in my drivers seat and having some very good success. First I used a quality, sandable leather filler, then applied some matching interior dye. They best method for the dye I have found is using my figure and lightly smearing; wet sanding with 600 grit between. The filler I used was :

https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Lea...ler-p/lwlf.htm

It would be done, but I have one little dimple left I want to fill and sand. It is coming out very good, almost unnoticeable, but it takes patience and time!


I have used their products to repair a torn/worn seat bolster on my C4.
I have used on other cars too for re-dying leather seats. My only problem with them is that the color match was hit-or-miss.
I sometimes had to modify the color to get a better match. Yours should not be too bad since it is on the back of the seat and won't be as noticeable.
stingray71 is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 01:10 PM
  #9  
ben z
CF Senior Member
 
ben z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Posts: 359
Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by windyC6 View Post
Getting it repaired and looking like it was never there is one thing. Getting it to stay looking like that is another if you plan on trying to fix only the bad spot. Your best bet would be to try and find the material that matches the seat. Get enough of it so the entire sewn in area where the bad spot is can be replaced. Then take it to an upholstery shop and have them replace the bad area.......good luck.
Agree to the first part. The paint/dye is more delicate and also vulnerable to solvents than the OEM finish, so if it's in a high-wear area or anyone uses typical interior cleaners on it, you'll end up redoing the repair. Most of the time these kinds of repairs are done for dealers reselling the cars. But if you're careful you can make them last. Black is the easiest because other colors tend to vary more with age and wear so OEM color-coded dye usually needs to be tinted to blend in.

Second part, the trouble with replacing just a panel (unless it's black) is the same reason stated above. Plus the cost of a new set of skins isn't that enormous on these cars, and the labor is less, because either way the skin has to come off and go back on, but you won't have the labor to r&r a single panel.
ben z is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 01:19 PM
  #10  
stingray71
CF Senior Member
 
stingray71's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 841
Thanked 102 Times in 80 Posts
Default

These were some pictures I had of of the torn seat bolster. I actually ended up blending the final color a little darker to match, but I didn't have another picture of it.




stingray71 is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 01:25 PM
  #11  
Not So Fast
CF Senior Member
 
Not So Fast's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: lake havasu city arizona
Posts: 6,693
Thanked 793 Times in 606 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stingray71 View Post
These were some pictures I had of of the torn seat bolster. I actually ended up blending the final color a little darker to match, but I didn't have another picture of it.




Do you have to put in a filler piece to get those results ? Then blend that in ?
That looks pretty good IMHO
NSF
Not So Fast is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM
  #12  
stingray71
CF Senior Member
 
stingray71's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 841
Thanked 102 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Yes, a patch is glued on the inside of the leather and then the remaining seam is filled with a white filler paste. After that, it is a matter of re-dying and texturing the leather.




Place patch INSIDE the tear so that it is behind the leather.



Glue the seam closed.



Fill the remaining seam before blending and re-dying



get the color match and test before applying. I had to adjust it darker.
stingray71 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to stingray71 For This Useful Post:
Not So Fast (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM
  #13  
windyC6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,229
Thanked 333 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ben z View Post
Agree to the first part. The paint/dye is more delicate and also vulnerable to solvents than the OEM finish, so if it's in a high-wear area or anyone uses typical interior cleaners on it, you'll end up redoing the repair. Most of the time these kinds of repairs are done for dealers reselling the cars. But if you're careful you can make them last. Black is the easiest because other colors tend to vary more with age and wear so OEM color-coded dye usually needs to be tinted to blend in.

Second part, the trouble with replacing just a panel (unless it's black) is the same reason stated above. Plus the cost of a new set of skins isn't that enormous on these cars, and the labor is less, because either way the skin has to come off and go back on, but you won't have the labor to r&r a single panel.
I understand what you're saying, but a few things to consider. Since you would probaly only want to buy one new skin for coast reasons, then the chances of that new skin matching the old is slim. Sure the color will be the same factory color....but the new skin won't have the wear and fade to it so it won't match....ask me how i know.... And it is fairly easy to take a new panel that has been replaced and work with it until it matches the rest of the seat as far as adding wear & tear if you want to call it that. Of course all of this is just depending on how one wants the finished product to look. I personally am **** on these things so I want it to look correct. Thats why I know (and after a lot of experience) that these patch-fill & dye kits do not have very good results regardless of what some members say. Sure they look OK....for a while, but their over-all success is poor......
windyC6 is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 06:56 PM
  #14  
irok
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2011
Location: OSHAWA ONTARIO
Posts: 2,680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 208 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post
I just found a tear in my passenger side seatback. It's L shaped about 3mm on each side. Any ideas on best way to fix it? Thanks.
the new replacement piece from G.M. is less than $200.
irok is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 01:07 AM
  #15  
Matthewstorm
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Matthewstorm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 466
Thanked 43 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by irok View Post
the new replacement piece from G.M. is less than $200.
That's it? Wow. Would I order from dealer?
Matthewstorm is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 AM
  #16  
irok
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2011
Location: OSHAWA ONTARIO
Posts: 2,680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 208 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post

That's it? Wow. Would I order from dealer?
yes you can order from any G.M. dealer but have a look at the online dealers that are much cheaper.Cultrag is a forum vendor on here.did a tu-tone color change to cobalt red and ebony on mine a while back and cost just under $1,000. for both seats.they had the embroidered crossed flags on the head rests and red stitching on all pieces

Last edited by irok; 04-20-2018 at 07:25 AM.
irok is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:09 AM
  #17  
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member
 
Sox-Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Mt. Pleasant S.C.
Posts: 2,161
Thanked 108 Times in 93 Posts
Default

https://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/. I can't remember the exact price that I paid, but I recall it being under $200 for the upper for my Cobalt red/ebony seat upper/outer. that is the part where everyone's wallet rubs getting in and out. I was happily surprised that a two tone leather part was so inexpensive. Makes it pretty much not even worth repairing. My 2008 with 68k just wore a hole through the size of a dime, and this being 2017, that amortizes out to pretty much a brainless decision to just buy new. I'm sure that I'll never own the car long enough to do it again.
Sox-Fan is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:12 AM
  #18  
gliot1
CF Senior Member
 
gliot1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Lake In The Hills IL
Posts: 1,748
Thanks: 0
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13
Default

Originally Posted by stingray71 View Post
Yes, a patch is glued on the inside of the leather and then the remaining seam is filled with a white filler paste. After that, it is a matter of re-dying and texturing the leather.




Place patch INSIDE the tear so that it is behind the leather.



Glue the seam closed.



Fill the remaining seam before blending and re-dying



get the color match and test before applying. I had to adjust it darker.
This is almost identical to the process I used, a process even pros use on home furniture. You have to ask is it worth about a $40 investment and time or simply jut go spend $700+ for new seat covers? My approach was try the $40 investment first and if it didn't work I can always buy new seat skins!
gliot1 is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM
  #19  
stingray71
CF Senior Member
 
stingray71's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 841
Thanked 102 Times in 80 Posts
Default

This is almost identical to the process I used, a process even pros use on home furniture. You have to ask is it worth about a $40 investment and time or simply jut go spend $700+ for new seat covers? My approach was try the $40 investment first and if it didn't work I can always buy new seat skins!

If you buy the right products from a leather repair site (not the junk at the auto parts store), it is worth trying and, if you get it right, you will get a great sense of satisfaction from it.
stingray71 is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 11:03 AM
  #20  
Landru
CF Senior Member
 
Landru's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne Township WI
Posts: 8,238
Thanked 353 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post
...I'll look for an upholstery guy in my area.
Try a dealer, any marque.
Ask who they use for trade-ins they intend keeping & selling on vs sending to auction.

ALL dealers use a service for repairing dashes, seats and any other interior defects. Find out who they use, probably be the same outfit all local dealers use.
Landru is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tear in Leather Seat


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: