C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake line vent thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:37 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Default Brake line vent thread

Putting new Stop Tech stainless steel braided brake lines on my 2013 Grand Sport. During my coilover install, I peeled a track turd off one of the OEM brake lines and found a split in the outer sheathing. No worries, bought 4 new lines and went the ss braided route for added protection.

I’m sure many are aware of the factory over-tightening the occasional line which then deforms the fitting. Lots of threads on this since 2005. Apparently I got the monkey at Bowling Green. All 4 of mine are deformed. What a PIA.

That’s all...just needed to vent
Old 04-19-2018, 04:14 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Putting new Stop Tech stainless steel braided brake lines on my 2013 Grand Sport. During my coilover install, I peeled a track turd off one of the OEM brake lines and found a split in the outer sheathing. No worries, bought 4 new lines and went the ss braided route for added protection.

I’m sure many are aware of the factory over-tightening the occasional line which then deforms the fitting. Lots of threads on this since 2005. Apparently I got the monkey at Bowling Green. All 4 of mine are deformed. What a PIA.

That’s all...just needed to vent
From what I've seen in multiple visits to Bowling Green the assembly employees are not responsible for the torque on critical components. It's the tooling that provides the correct torque spec. If the incorrect torque is applied to one of these fasteners it's not the fault of the assembler operating the tool, it's the fault of whoever's job it is to maintain that tool.

It would make sense that all 4 of your brake fittings were identically over tightened if the same mis-calibrated tooling was used on all 4.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:18 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TraceZ
From what I've seen in multiple visits to Bowling Green the assembly employees are not responsible for the torque on critical components. It's the tooling that provides the correct torque spec. If the incorrect torque is applied to one of these fasteners it's not the fault of the assembler operating the tool, it's the fault of whoever's job it is to maintain that tool.

It would make sense that all 4 of your brake fittings were identically over tightened if the same mis-calibrated tooling was used on all 4.
ok...I got the monkey that did the tool calibration. Better?

Still a PIA that a task that should take barely an hour will take much longer than that.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
ok...I got the monkey that did the tool calibration. Better?

Still a PIA that a task that should take barely an hour will take much longer than that.
Agreed.

So what are you going to need to do to correct it? Replace a bunch of brake lines? Is it possible to fix the existing fittings?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:28 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TraceZ
Agreed.

So what are you going to need to do to correct it? Replace a bunch of brake lines? Is it possible to fix the existing fittings?
Fixing the threads on the existing fittings. If that fails, then cut back the lines and add new line sections with new fittings.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake line vent thread

Quick Reply: Brake line vent thread