C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about clear coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Question about clear coating

I'm interested in purchasing a car. I've been speaking with the owner, who lives in a different state, so I can't see the car in person but he has sent me pictures and videos. He told me that the entire car is "clear coated" front to back and then showed me a video of a few places where they couldn't "wrap" the clear coat all the way around the car (for example there is a visible line above the side mirror where they couldn't finish the clear coat all the way.)

I know cars are clear coated from the factory, but I didn't realize there is an option to clear coat in the aftermarket. What exactly does it mean to clear coat the entire car? Isn't that just the same as what they do when it's built from the factory?

Also does anyone have any pictures of their cars with clear coats? Do you also have edges or areas of the car that couldn't have a clear coat on them? To me the lines he pointed out on the car where they couldn't clear coat look ugly because they are very visible (to an OCD person like myself). Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:40 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Something sounds fishy. These cars come from the factory with a clear coat. There is no extra clear coat option. Why would he do that and have lines around the car. I would run away as there are plenty of nice C6’s around. Good luck

Last edited by enventr; 04-22-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:38 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

He must mean clear protective coating such as 3M. I've never seen an entire car done with it but I suppose it's possible. There will be a slight visible edge where it ends. I think it mostly shows up on lighter colors like white or yellow.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Clearcoat is paint. It sounds like there is confusion between the difference between clear coat and a protective clear wrap. There is no factory option for extra clear coat or protective films. I've heard of people installing a protective film on the entire car. It usually is just for the front end of the car as to do the whole vehicle gets expensive. I had a 3M protective wrap on my car but recently had to remove it as a red fungus started growing under the surface of the protective film. You can peel it off, use wax and grease remover to get the sticky adhesive off the surface and wax the paint surface afterwards.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:49 AM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
He must mean clear protective coating such as 3M. I've never seen an entire car done with it but I suppose it's possible. There will be a slight visible edge where it ends. I think it mostly shows up on lighter colors like white or yellow.

I am not, sure I would like the whole car done in this way, it will eventually have to be removed, the film does not last forever
Old 04-22-2018, 10:28 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

It sure sounds like he is referring to paint protection film. You might want to see if a member here who lives in the seller's area can take a look at the car for you. That's what I would do.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

I was confused as well, as I have never heard of "clear coating" a car (except for when the car is being painted with factory paint). I asked him about it and he continued to call it a "clear coat" but then said it might be the same as a clear bra. So yes, I think he is now referring to a clear bra and there was just some confusion there.

So with that being said...what are your thoughts on clear bras? I understand their purpose but to me, I've never really liked them. I know they don't last forever, and can fade in certain areas, and you can usually see lines or edges where they couldn't wrap it completely. He showed me in the video two lines above both side mirrors where they couldn't wrap it all the way.

I'd almost rather take my chances at getting rock chips and dealing with them myself rather than having a clear bra. I don't know, I've just always disliked clear bras mainly because I'm OCD. It also concerns me a bit that the clear bra is on the entire car front to back side to side top to bottom. If something goes wrong with the bra and it has to be removed, I don't think there would be a problem removing just a front clear bra like most people have but removing a bra around an entire car seems like it could be a hassle.

Last edited by DanMan35; 04-22-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:03 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

The current owner is using the wrong terminology which is misleading. As others have indicated, "Clear Coat" is the factory base coat/clear coat process for painting the car. What he may be referring to is a vehicle clear wrap which costs $3 to $5K or a ceramic paint coating which is a product similar a wax or sealer only much more permanent . You need to clarify exactly what he is calling "Clear Coat".
Old 04-23-2018, 04:27 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you able to post pictures here on the forum. If we could see it we may be able to diagnose it better. From what it sounds like, He's referring to some type of paint protection film. Not many do the whole car as it'll run you around 3k but it's not unheard of.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

My first C6 was a new JSB coupe. I had 3M protective film put on it. I covered the nose and 1/3 up the hood, mirrors and behind each wheel. If you have a good installer it is great and barely noticeable. There is no way I’d cover the entire car.

This can be removed with no issues.

Ask the owner where he had the car coated and then talk with the installer.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

A line would mean plastic film such as 3M or a ceramic coating on the whole car would not make a line. What else does he NOT KNOW about the car??
Old 04-23-2018, 11:22 AM
wfojon
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
A line would mean plastic film such as 3M or a ceramic coating on the whole car would not make a line. What else does he NOT KNOW about the car??
I just bought a new to me C6 and the PO had the whole car wrapped with this. I was a bit concerned when he told me but I do like it now, very easy to keep sparkling. He did mention it cost him $5000.
https://ghostshieldfilm.com/
Old 04-23-2018, 11:59 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I would never buy a car from private owner that didn't know the difference between clear coat and clear protective film. I would assume he didn't know what he is talking about. What else, doesn't he know about that Vette?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:26 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on what kind was used, clear wraps can yellow with time. They can also turn brittle after some years, especially if the car bakes in the sun in a hot climate, and actually bond to the paint-clearcoat so removing it can cause damage. I had this happen with the stone guards on my 911. I have been informed by several high-end paint/body guys that ceramic coatings are an added complication when paint repairs are needed. Personally I'm not doing either to my cars, and it would be a negative selling point if I were shopping.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

As has been mentioned, look for a member here and the regional discussions area to look at it for you...
Old 04-23-2018, 02:50 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I think you can buy a partial vinyl clear coat for our Corvettes ??....like just the front part of the hood...etc. But can you buy it for other vehicles like pick-em-up-trucks...etc.? Or would you have to buy a big sheet and then cut to fit ??
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like he's talking about clear protective wrap. Done right, you can't tell it's even on the car without a really up close inspection. Some protective wraps are self-healing, so I'm told. But, check into it if there are flaws. It can be peeled off if it's not in good shape.

Last edited by RobJoy; 04-24-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about clear coating

Quick Reply: Question about clear coating