C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 buying guide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Stevengineer
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C6 buying guide?

Hey guys, I was looking into getting a C5 Corvette but now I'm leaning towards a C6. For C5's, I found the "buying guide" below:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3265266-help-for-buying-a-c5-and-also-some-technical-information-files.html

I'm curious if their is a similar thread for the C6? I've tried looking but without much luck.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 04-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevengineer
Hey guys, I was looking into getting a C5 Corvette but now I'm leaning towards a C6. For C5's, I found the "buying guide" below:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

I'm curious if their is a similar thread for the C6? I've tried looking but without much luck.

Thanks,
Steven
I think the same guidelines are valid for any car by any manufacturer, you just have to focus on the specific models and options you want. Each model has it's own caveat emptor issues and you really need to dig down and do your own research on years and problems associated with those years. I spent about 2 months lurking in this forum and others reading everything I could get my hands on before finally deciding on the exact year and model I wanted. There are thousands of videos on Youtube about every car there is and some of them are excellent in analyzing each model, pro's and con's.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:02 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Don't overthink it, its simply a Chevrolet. Do what you would do if you were buying any other car, no different. Check oil, radiator water, tires, interior, exterior, steering wheel, seats, brakes, radio, a/c, heater, test drive, windshield wipers, lights, ask questions, paperwork, price, etc. Good luck.

I agree with Mcrider!!!

Last edited by LMB-Z; 04-22-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Stevengineer
Instructor

Sounds good, thanks guys. I've mostly found that the harmonic balancer on the early years (not sure if it was all of the LS2's or not) goes bad, the LS2 vs LS3, and the audio system in the center console changed, as far as the base models go. As far as what I'm looking for, that's what I've found that maters.

I'm fine with the LS2, granted i'd want to change the balancer to one that'll last. I would like to have an aux cord or something to plug my phone into. I'd be nice if their was an OEM radio I could just swap into an older car, just plug and play and look factory. But I haven't found that yet.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:07 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Don't overthink it, its simply a Chevrolet. Do what you would do if you were buying any other car, no different. Check oil, radiator water, tires, interior, exterior, steering wheel, seats, brakes, radio, a/c, heater, test drive, windshield wipers, lights, ask questions, paperwork, price, etc. Good luck.

I agree with Mcrider!!!
X2
Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Although there isn't a "Buyer's Guide" per-se, there is one VERY good thread you should comb through.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

You certainly don't need to ready through every link provided in but grazing over areas like the "Known Issues" is a good start.
The following users liked this post:
Stevengineer (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 01:49 PM
kevinjm
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevengineer
Sounds good, thanks guys. I've mostly found that the harmonic balancer on the early years (not sure if it was all of the LS2's or not) goes bad, the LS2 vs LS3, and the audio system in the center console changed, as far as the base models go. As far as what I'm looking for, that's what I've found that maters.

I'm fine with the LS2, granted i'd want to change the balancer to one that'll last. I would like to have an aux cord or something to plug my phone into. I'd be nice if their was an OEM radio I could just swap into an older car, just plug and play and look factory. But I haven't found that yet.
I highly recommend Kawal's approach to add an AUX while maintaining everything looking stock. Did this to my C6, it was an easy install, no drilling or modifying needed. Just routing of wires. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Stevengineer (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Stevengineer
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Although there isn't a "Buyer's Guide" per-se, there is one VERY good thread you should comb through.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

You certainly don't need to ready through every link provided in but grazing over areas like the "Known Issues" is a good start.
Thank you! This should cover what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by kevinjm
I highly recommend Kawal's approach to add an AUX while maintaining everything looking stock. Did this to my C6, it was an easy install, no drilling or modifying needed. Just routing of wires. Good luck!
​​​​​​​Awesome, I was thinking to myself surely someone has found a way to add it.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:41 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

If n I remember correctly Corvette Magazine had a C6 buyers guide in one of their issues... as well as a C5 buyers guide. You can order previous / back issues from them directly. it is a great read... well done.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:30 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
If n I remember correctly Corvette Magazine had a C6 buyers guide in one of their issues... as well as a C5 buyers guide. You can order previous / back issues from them directly. it is a great read... well done.
October 2017 issue:
https://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/116

"Value Added
As resale values continue to slip, the C6 cements its place among the used-Corvette market’s best buys."
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
October 2017 issue:
https://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/116

"Value Added
As resale values continue to slip, the C6 cements its place among the used-Corvette market’s best buys."

That is the one!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Depends on whether you have C-5 money or C-6 money to spend. That's all it was for me.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Stevengineer
Instructor

Thanks for the information everyone!

Originally Posted by RobJoy
Depends on whether you have C-5 money or C-6 money to spend. That's all it was for me.
That was my dilemma. I am 25 years old and have wanted a corvette since I got into cars in middle school. Now i'm graduating college, have a full time job starting June 4th, and was fortunate to have some leftover college funds (thank you parents and tuition awards). I'm trying not to be too eager to get one and I refuse until I get a months worth of pay, bills, rent, ect first. But I shouldn't have any problems getting a base model C6. And believe it or not, since my 2000 Taurus has the awful FFV engine, a corvette gets as good or better MGP...

I currently have 2 cars, the Taurus with 230,000 miles, and a 1988 Silverado (was my granddads, now my baby) that's in great condition with 85,000 miles. With the crazy drivers in Charlotte, I refuse to drive my truck here since it's stopping distance is horrendous. But I'm moving to a small(ish) city without any real traffic. Also, my very good friend has a Porsche 944, a future coworker has a Porsche, my brother has a modified Charger R/T, and my girlfriend (probably future wife) loves Corvettes. So situation wise, I think it'd be great to have a Corvette as well.

Last edited by Stevengineer; 04-26-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 buying guide?

Quick Reply: C6 buying guide?