C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test pipes for C6 Corvette??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 04:39 AM
JBurmenko
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Test pipes for C6 Corvette??

I have done some research but cant find anything, do test pipes exist for a base model c6 corvette? Similar to other cars as i dont want long tube headers just a cat delete. If not what other recommendations can you guys make for sound? I want loud but a deep roar.

Thank you!!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,012 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Originally Posted by JBurmenko
I have done some research but cant find anything, do test pipes exist for a base model c6 corvette? Similar to other cars as i dont want long tube headers just a cat delete. If not what other recommendations can you guys make for sound? I want loud but a deep roar.

Thank you!!
Cat delete will just end up with the car stinking of unburnt fuel in the cabin every stop light, and your not going to gain much hp by deleting the cats in the first place. At most, your would only gain about 8HP by deleting the stock OEM cats, and it not worth it due to the unburnt fuel stench.
Note, with no cats in play, would require a retune to turn the rear 02 sensors off in the tune.

If your looking to pick up power, then long tube headers, and high flow cats instead. The high flow cats only rob you of about 4hp, while the headers will increase power by around 25hp or better isntead.

Understand how headers work (scavenging to pull the exhaust out the cylinders), and you will understand why they are important part of HP gains.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:46 AM
paulrichy
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I did long tubes and and 3" off road pipe. No smell, awesome rumble and pop with npp open. Did a dyno tune and picked up 38 hp. Burn better quality fuel, I think race fuel smells like perfume.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Thank you!!
I've never seen any either. It would be an expensive part to make, due to the way the cat attaches to the manifold.

Some have modified their stock mufflers, but most go with headers and a tune to sound off and have more power.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by paulrichy
I did long tubes and and 3" off road pipe. No smell, awesome rumble and pop with npp open. Did a dyno tune and picked up 38 hp. Burn better quality fuel, I think race fuel smells like perfume.
Gotta love that smell.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Thank you!!
How are you gonna pass smog? In Ca you need 4 cats to pass..Right?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:14 AM
JBurmenko
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
How are you gonna pass smog? In Ca you need 4 cats to pass..Right?
Just switch out piping every 2 years, thats why it would be easier to switch out test pipes rather than headers :/
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (04-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Test pipes for C6 Corvette??

Quick Reply: Test pipes for C6 Corvette??