C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those With MANUALS ! How To Replace Clutch Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:57 PM
RickCC6
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chilangoworrior
Thanks for the post, I didn't know about it
smoke tires not drugs! saw your post on instagram! hehe. awesome car by the way. makes me want to look for a widebody kit.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:34 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
make sure to use dot4 brake fluid !!
Any recommendations on DOT 4 brakes fluid, or are they all about the same?.........
Old 04-24-2018, 03:42 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Any recommendations on DOT 4 brakes fluid, or are they all about the same?.........
I use Prestone
Old 04-24-2018, 03:46 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm sure it differs from car to car but, I think it took me about 5 reservoir refills before DOT 4 brake fluid would stay clear. Protect paint, suck it, refill it, cap it, pump it and repeat until clear
Old 04-24-2018, 03:57 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

Originally Posted by itomh
I'm sure it differs from car to car but, I think it took me about 5 reservoir refills before DOT 4 brake fluid would stay clear. Protect paint, suck it, refill it, cap it, pump it and repeat until clear
This ^^^^^^
Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 PM
chilangoworrior
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RickCC6
smoke tires not drugs! saw your post on instagram! hehe. awesome car by the way. makes me want to look for a widebody kit.

Oh you saw my video haha Thanks man, yeah I really like the widebody, you should get one
Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine hasn’t been changed in a 105k miles. Think it’s due?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:12 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RobJoy
It's good of you to remind the newbies to the Corvette world of the importance of changing the clutch fluid in the reservoir often. I totally agree. The clutch slave cylinder takes a beating in this car's design.
In Sept. 2015, I received a notice for my 2008 base Corvette from GM of the possibility that my clutch could fail, that is, when depressed the clutch pedal might not come back up again. The notice said that if my car does this I qualify for a free repair for this problem. The letter stated that my clutch system is now warranted for a total of 10 years or 120,000 miles for this issue, which is much longer than the clutch was warranted for originally. GM knows, as we all do, how long DOT 4 fluid has been around. Why they continue to recommend DOT 3 is anybody's guess.
The cap on my reservoir says to use DOT 3 fluid. I will continue to use DOT 3 as long as they think it's the proper fluid. I replace the
clutch reservoir fluid every 3 or so months using the ranger method.
The 2013 manual says use DOT4
Never heard of dot3 being used in a clutch system

Last edited by GARYFINN; 04-24-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Your killing us!!!!!

Pull your brake fluid cap, index the tabs to the next slot, and the Dot 3 will be aligned square to the firewall.

Brake fluid cap indexed/installed correctly,

Also, check the center caps on your rims, and Make sure that the V is point at the valve stems.

Trust me, these and few other tell-tales are how we tell if a vet owner is a newbie vet owner, or a long standing seasoned multi vet owner instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-24-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:23 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Your killing us!!!!!

Pull your brake fluid cap, index the tabs to the next slot, and the Dot 3 will be aligned square to the firewall.

Also, check the center caps on your rims, and Make sure that the V is point at the valve stems.

Trust me, these and few other tell-tales are how we tell if a vet owner is a newbie vet owner, or a long standing seasoned multi vet owner instead.
Eh, what do the center caps have to do with anything?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:53 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

He's probably a liberal snowflake Noob.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm a combat veteran so not sure if you're referring to me.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:25 PM
GSJeff
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those that are new may not have heard of the RANGER Method of keeping your clutch fluid Clean.I did not invent this method this was done from a member with the moniker of RANGER.If you don't keep your fluid CLEAN contaminants eat away at your seals and then one day BAM !! your clutch goes down and won't come back up.

First get yourself a Syringe and Prestone DOT4 Brake Fluid.I got the syringe from EBAY.

Locate fluid reservoir !! Make sure you have a towel over car this fluid destroys paint.

Remove cap!! notice the amber darkish fluid .This actually isn't too bad.

Suck fluid out with your syringe !! make sure to clean inside the bowl and the cover with a soft cloth.

Clean out Resevoir !!

Fill to appropriate level and you're done.This will provide you with many miles of driving pleasure.DO THIS METHOD EVERY OTHER TIME YOU DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL WHEN YOU OPEN THE RESEVOIR IT IS CLEAR.
Have not done this but need to. Is it ok to mix the DOT4 fluid with fluid currently running through the system?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:36 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GSJeff
Have not done this but need to. Is it ok to mix the DOT4 fluid with fluid currently running through the system?
Yes !!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
GSJeff (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:14 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dano523
Your killing us!!!!!

Why would you post something so incredibly stupid in this thread.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
I would assume they are all the same but I use Prestone.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you post something so incredibly stupid in this thread.
I think we've got a misunderstanding going on here... Dano is no Noob. He is very Vette savvy and is constantly helping people with their problems. Great guy. I believe his post was an attempt at humor...just busting your ba//s for your brake fluid cap not being "squared away". He's a friend to us all.

Get notified of new replies

To Those With MANUALS ! How To Replace Clutch Fluid

Old 04-26-2018, 01:58 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

The fluid gets dirty from clutch dust. I use this method to change mine pretty often. A lot more than once a year. It’s very easy.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:26 AM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Bought my car in October. It’s a 2005 that had 16300 miles on it. When I had my mechanic do the presale inspection he had mentioned that both the clutch fluid and brake fluid looked like they were getting too dark. So after reading this thread I finally decided it was time to tackle the clutch fluid. Thanks for all the helpful tips. Did it tonight in about 20 minutes. Super easy and shocked how dirty the fluid was. Took me 5 times total to get it to stay clear.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:23 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011_Grand_Sport
The fluid gets dirty from clutch dust. I use this method to change mine pretty often. A lot more than once a year. It’s very easy.
Yep, hence the seal on the slave cylinder is rounded on the front edges inside and out, so as you are pushing in the pedal, its fluid driving the seal over the dust on the surfaces in front of the seal, which traps the clutch dust in the fluid since the back side of the seal does have square edge those sides instead.

Had GM designed the seal with swiper edges on the front of the seal inside and out too, it would push the dust on the surfaces forward with the seal as it being driving forward, to prevent a great deal of clutch dust in the fluid t begin with.

Break down of of the slave, which does have a dust shield boot, but you still get dust past the boot cover/down the sides of the throw out bearing race support, in which that dust litters the bearing seal surfaces of the slave body itself.

Note, extra throw out bearing race support show in the above photo.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-28-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Those With MANUALS ! How To Replace Clutch Fluid