C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I be getting worried?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Something is not right. When my wife totaled her Trailblazer years ago it didnt seem like much damage but they actually looked at the frame first and I knew within a day it was totaled. They also force aftermarket parts on you to fix the car if needed and if it isnt a dealer specific part.

To answer your value question. If you looked at teo cars exactly the same but one had an accident. Which one would you buy if the same price? Look at diminished value as you will lose a few thousand at least.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:17 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Look at diminished value as you will lose a few thousand at least.
FWIW... re: "Diminished value"...

I got hit a year ago on my brand-new Gold Wing by a kid-in-a-parking lot and when I brought up the concept of "diminished value" with his insurance (Travelers) since the accident will now "show an accident" on a CarFax type of report... the carrier went a bit hard-line on me. Bike is fixed to "brand new" -- but the claim is still not closed as there was (is) medical involved and I'm finally on the mend. If I want to push the "diminished value" thing, I'm going to have to push them like crazy once they make a settlement offer or at least threaten (or really go with) legal representation -- which will have it's own set of "expenses" if I go with any really reputable Personal Injury firm. Good luck with your rig!!

Last edited by OlyC6; 04-27-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:57 PM
soupy102
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Going on week #7, Car is painted fenders on but the hood does not line up properly, shop said they are still waiting on special clamps to lock down frame so they can straighten extensions in front that hood bolts to, At least Geico gave me a convertible to use while mine is in the shop, But then again it is a Mustang and it gets hot riding around with a Bag over my head
Old 05-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like the frame is tweeked?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:29 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SixAddict
This is unacceptable, I feel bad for ya man but I would be on the phone everyday all day until you get some resolution. I wish you well.
I agree with checking frame first, then proceed, makes you wonder what kind of service advisor they are listening to.
Always check the frame alinement first before doing anything else.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Need to notify the insurance adjustor, dont let just anyone do the frame, did that once n they crushed the rails-not a vette
Old 05-04-2018, 11:28 AM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

If your Insurance company is Geico, as someone else mentioned you are getting aftermarket parts. Another issue would be that if they have painted panels and not done them all at the same time, then there is a very high chance that they are not going to color match.

You have really not responded to some of our questions nor have you taken our advice. Good Luck your going to need it!

Unsubscribed
Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
If your Insurance company is Geico, as someone else mentioned you are getting aftermarket parts. Another issue would be that if they have painted panels and not done them all at the same time, then there is a very high chance that they are not going to color match.

You have really not responded to some of our questions nor have you taken our advice. Good Luck your going to need it!

Unsubscribed
Please forgive me if I am sticking my nose in where it does not belong but this above post really troubled me.

I have been around the block more than a couple of times but that does stop me from soliciting advice from those I pass along the way. It is strictly advice. I am never too old to learn from anyone. So, when receiving said advice, I carefully weight it and do one of three things with it: 1. abandon my original intentions and adapt to what I just learned. 2. Completely ignore the advice after consideration deciding to stay on my original path, or 3. Integrate new advice with what i know to formulate an even better path.

To this I will add the following analogy: A bunch of years ago I sustained a serious injury. Three top surgeons warned me not to seek a surgical solution as a surgery would leave me in worse shape that I was already in. A couple of years later, I happen to be with another good surgeon about an unrelated issue but decided to ask about the original issue as he had all my x-rays and MRI's. He said he could fix my problem. Question I had to ask myself: Is he really that good of a surgeon or is he an ego maniac? I asked the doctor why he could fix my problem when three others said he couldn't. His response was, "because they don't know what they are doing."

Getting back to the problem here, if someone decides to choose their own path after seeking advice, is that a Forum no-no? Is it mandatory to accept someone, especially a stranger's advice? We all share a common interest and I think it behooves us to remember that the purpose of a Forum is to share ideas, good, bad, or indifferent.
The following users liked this post:
soupy102 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:04 PM
soupy102
Advanced

Originally Posted by sfrank2886

Unsubscribed
All parts used on my car were original OEM parts from Chevrolet, That was understood by the Geico Rep. So far all parts have been painted at the same time and most are on the car, Also hood and both doors were painted so they could blend and all were painted at the same time, From what Ive seen the paint looks pretty good. Alls thats left is getting the hood straight, Its off by 1/8 to 3/16.Bumper cover is not on yet but is painted shop tech does not want to start adjusting front rails until he checks frame and can solidly clamp down (frame machine clamps should be there next week) So in a nut shell, All OEM parts, Color matches and the advise from this forum has been awesome. I just have not updated as much as some would
Old 05-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by soupy102
All parts used on my car were original OEM parts from Chevrolet, That was understood by the Geico Rep. So far all parts have been painted at the same time and most are on the car, Also hood and both doors were painted so they could blend and all were painted at the same time, From what Ive seen the paint looks pretty good. Alls thats left is getting the hood straight, Its off by 1/8 to 3/16...
All that's left is frame check & straightened if necessary.
Now IF frame were found to be OK?
Imagine if a bad part/install behind the bind, **** sands all-around.
Costly error, time-wise.

G/L, sounds like they've done well up to this point anyway.
The wait continues.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:43 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Check the paint in all light conditions before you say it matches. I forgot what color is your car but some are not forgiving and may look great in a shop but crappy soon as sun light hits it.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 PM
soupy102
Advanced

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Check the paint in all light conditions before you say it matches. I forgot what color is your car but some are not forgiving and may look great in a shop but crappy soon as sun light hits it.
Carlisle Blue
Old 05-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Get a complete check of the the frame and critical points, seems they didnt check it and if parts dont fit what about alignment, will it be adjustable or all adjustment needed to bring bring it to the “Just in spec-one side minus the other a plus. Should be able to be in the middle of spec at the middle or close on adjustment.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 PM
soupy102
Advanced

Update to repair, I just received the car from the chevy collision center, no frame damage and all the lines look pretty good, paint matches good and they blended well..
Now the down side, I have waited 1 day shy of 10 weeks to get this car repaired so when I pick it up I expect everything correct, first, The service tps system light is flashing , second, there is a huge scratch in the side view mirror that you would have to be Helen Keller to miss, 3rd there is a couple spots that look like debris under the clear coat
and the front right tire has 8psi in it ( could not really tell because they are run flats but the car pulled to the right like a freight train, Quit pulling once I put air in it) So all in all I would not recommend this chevy dealer to do any future repairs. But it is sooooo nice to have my Grand sport back, Now to fight for diminished value, Repair bill came to $10850
The following users liked this post:
joliett (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Past 10 weeks might've damaged battery, long time to just sit especially if it had some years on it to start.
Before digging into a possible TPMS issue, have battery load-tested, first.
Low RF's trigger a Low Tire Press CEL long before 8PSI, too.

Curious just WTH shop offered to explain misalignment which in-turn took several extra weeks downtime to 'rectify'.

Glad you're back on the road & drama's finished.
(No, don't s'pose you'll use shop that again. )
Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Just take a beat and try to remain calm. I can tell you with first hand knowledge that OEM doesn't mean the parts are good. The front fascia quality on the base C6 sucks today compared to the molds that were made in 2005-2008 timeframe.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

Been to the body shops of the country, my procedure now is, go take a look without letting them know, donot commit to picking up, if it is not to your liking walk away, call n tell them so n that you wont pick it up. Until it is, no money until you sign off happy, as you can be.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

The work appears reasonable, but not sure about the time involved.

Why would the parts take so long to order rather than a day or two? Then that would take me back the work not seeming to be reasonable.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 AM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

I waited 8 weeks to get my Vette back from the dealer's collision center. During the ride home I got a passenger side airbag warning light and then when I went to put the convertible top up, the rear window was hanging up on the tonneau cover.

I immediately called the collision center and spoke to the rep that handled my car. After leaving nearly $14,000 there (OK it was my insurance company) she said they were too busy to deal with the issues and I should bring the car back to their service dept. I explained that I never had an airbag issue before the collision and the owner's manual states that even if an airbag does not inflate, the electronics could be damaged.

I called my insurance adjuster who told me get it back to the dealership and he will deal with them, which I did. Seems both side airbags are now faulty and the issue with the convertible top is being addressed. I will not be using that dealership again for any future issues.

Quick Reply: should I be getting worried?