C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 04:24 PM
FTLVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

my car is a 07 6.0L I bought this A6 new and it has 65,000 miles. The engine doesn’t have any bolt-on
performance parts and I don’t drive it very hard although my average trip is 3-4 miles..
i just moved - drove it cross country from Wilton Manors FL. and although the trip went well I’m f***
devastated as the engine died. I called OnStar and they couldn’t get it started. They called another truck who could only barely get it to turn over, so I had it towed to a “famous” Corvette shop who speculated that I need a new long block; they suggest it either main or rod bearings. .....and they seem rude to me on the phone - I’m truly shocked. They only will put in a BRAND NEW LS.
Anyone with any ideas, PLEASE PLEASE get back to me. Thank you so much. Scott B.

Last edited by FTLVette; 04-27-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Location - I’m in Laguna Hills
Old 04-27-2018, 04:41 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Highly unlikely you need a new engine. I would get a second opinion somehow.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:48 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Do yourself a favor and have it towed to these guys. It will be money well spent. I've not used them but have heard nothing but great things about them.

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Where are you?

Last edited by Yokesc5; 04-27-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-28-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 PM
6SpeedTA95
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

To have something like this happen with your driving habits assuming you've accurately portrayed them would mean you'd have to run it low on oil.

I doubt you need a new engine.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by FTLVette
my car is a 07 6.0L I bought this A6 new and it has 65,000 miles. The engine doesn’t have any bolt-on
performance parts and I don’t drive it very hard although my average trip is 3-4 miles..
i just moved - drove it cross country from Wilton Manors FL. and although the trip went well I’m f***
devastated as the engine died. I called OnStar and they couldn’t get it started. They called another truck who could only barely get it to turn over, so I had it towed to a “famous” Corvette shop who speculated that I need a new long block; they suggest it either main or rod bearings. .....and they seem rude to me on the phone - I’m truly shocked. They only will put in a BRAND NEW LS.
Anyone with any ideas, PLEASE PLEASE get back to me. Thank you so much. Scott B.
"Engine died." What exactly does that mean? Were you idling? Moving? Any strange noises?

"Barely turn over." Did it fire at all or not?

The diagnosis you got is like going to the doctor for a headache, and he suggests opening up your skull to look for tumors. Um, no thanks, let's start with the easiest, most common, most likely things first and rule them out one by one.

Is the battery good? Charging system?

I don't know squat about these modern fuel and ignition systems, but the odds are highly in your favor that the problem lies in there somewhere (assuming the batt/charging is okay) and that the fix is probably simple.

The key is getting the right diagnosis.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Many years ago, my sister had to have the engine replaced in her Chevy “Big 10” truck. The original engine had only 63K miles and it was regularly serviced, well maintained, and never “driven hard”. She was the original owner. Here’s the catch. She only drove it short distances everyday to work. (Appx 6 miles one way). The truck was never driven on ANY long road trips. The 63K miles were all city miles. The engine was so full of sludge and carbon build- up, it was ruined. It wouldn’t run worth a cr@p and wasn’t even worth tearing down and rebuilding. It finally just died one day at work and would not run without sputtering and cutting off. She got a replacement crate engine.
The OP’s story sounds so similar as he says his average trips are only 3-4 miles. Hmmm, he might need a new engine after all.

Last edited by Jstan2014; 04-28-2018 at 03:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:59 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

QUOTE: "they suggest it either main or rod bearings" based on what? you didn't give enough info for an opinion.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

I lived in a new incorporate city, before the lights were put in a few stop signs ,the bank was 1.5 miles down the road,when they finished putting in the 8 way lights( only one lane gets a green at a time) it took 3-4 times the originial to get to the bank,
I mentioned this , not the story in another thread but was blown off ,too many think that processes proven to be reliable can be but myth and thrown out by a drive down the street. Engine run Time is one of the Major factors to gage engine life for the regular street driven car, upkeep or the lack of, then we hear of just the neglect to caution when things Start to go.
I have driven high mileage cars most of my life, GM , dodge where if the oil was changed by 3k miles little to no comsumption is measured, I like the valvoline maxlife oils , this includes when the cars are running over 200k miles, one at 225 when we gave it away, the other 250k. But were maintained n checked at each fillup. If you take the 65k n multiply it by 3-4 or maybe 5 x, not getting regular checks n fresh oils, may find one day after , instead of a 2 mile run, you run 6-8 hours no oil remains, no history of this type of use, rather than 35 mph, 80 mph. Sorry to hear about this from a new owner but there is more to this buying than an odometer check.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

My last post really wasnt much use to the OP, suggest finding a good mechanic, those will save you money, where are you, may want to go to a regional thread, PM me for any ideas regarding this.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Last edited by FTLVette; Yesterday at 04:25 PM. Reason: Location - I’m in Laguna Hills

Laguna Hills is a suburb south of LA, Ca
Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

One other thing, I have purchased several low mileage engines from the car-parts.com site. Salvage yard site across the continient including Canada where I recently picked up an engine as they dont ship into the US.
we lived in San Clemente until 3 years ago, Vista previuosly. Any work I needed done I went to Allen’s in Vista, no flatrate work, inspections at no cost great place.

Last edited by Yokesc5; 04-28-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Cuckoo
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FTLVette
Please give us the name of the "famous" Corvette shop so us here in So Cal know who to possibly think twice about. You aren't saying anything bad about them, just not your first choice. It
's good to shop around.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help

Quick Reply: Please help