C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 warnings on dashboard! Speed issues also!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:59 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'm in the alternator gone bad camp.

It's not that expensive and is easy to replace. It does help to have an extra set of hands however. It took all of 10 minutes with four hands.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:23 AM
Kingali
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When these warnings lights appear my three gages gets disconnected coolant temperature, oil pressure and fuel gauge all three comes down to zero and car stay in first gear... And after few minutes coolant temperature gauge and oil pressure will come up except fuel gauge and for fuel gauge I have to turn off and on the car and it will come up Aswell..... And after driving few kilometers same will repeat....I have replaced the factory shocks with Bilstein but above issue is not related to f55 RTD error code that is different issue.....I have already changed the new recommended battery and new alternator Aswell..... How can I fix this issue?
Old 06-30-2018, 04:17 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

From threads I've read, sometimes a 'brand new' battery might have sat on a shelf for an extended period or might otherwise have a defect that prevents it from holding a full charge. I would have it tested. Also, from personal experience, always always test your 'new' or remanufactured alternator and your old one once you take it in for the core charge. Beyond that, I would start checking connections and grounds to where the alternator and battery connections are. Somewhere you're losing charge. Are you running an under-drive pulley? I've seen some guys run one, especially after a harmonic balancer replacement, and end up pulling less charge. You said you replaced your shocks, did you have magnetic ride control? Perhaps the connector for that type of shock was not programmed out or has otherwise grounded itself? Did these problems start shortly after your install?

If all that checks out, I would then find a mechanic or friend with a tech II scanner and pull codes. Then reference them on here to see what guys have found and done. Either way, good luck and please report back what you find as it can always help someone else!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:32 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

My brothers' wife was having bizarre electrical problems with "her" vetten and it turned out that some small critter had taken up residence inside the engine bay and gnawed on some of the wiring. It was a real bitch to find the root cause of the problems as they were all over the code map, but $1100.00 later, they fixed the problem.

Her problem, she never drove the damned car.

Quick Reply: C6 warnings on dashboard! Speed issues also!