C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went to a local car show today. Vette guys need to SERIOUSLY step up your game.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 AM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Red mentioned the Concours d’Elegance, which is the single most lavish, most expensive collection of cars gathered at one time anywhere in the world. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it does have one element some love, and some find boring...it is based entirely upon the ability to either restore a rare vehicle to absolute factory condition, or exhibit a vehicle that is original, and as close to how it was the date it was first sold.

Yes, there are classes for what some would think of as modded cars, those built strictly for racing, and which, again, are absolutely original.

No engine mods, no fancy paint, and no wings....and there is not a modified car anywhere in the world that will approach the value of the best cars at CDE...
AND it all starts with a drive from WASHINGTON STATE!

2018 MOTORING CLASSIC DETAILS
Monday, August 12, Motoring Classic gathers in Kirkland, Washington
Tuesday, August 13, Participants take to the road
Wednesday, August 22, Arrival at The Lodge at Pebble Beach

Kirkland, Washington to Pebble Beach, California

PARTICIPATION LIMITED TO CARS THAT APPLY AND ARE ACCEPTED.

The Pebble Beach Motoring Classic is the ultimate road trip for enthusiasts with automobiles that have more than a dash of elegance. The Motoring Classic, which is not to be confused with the Tour d'Elegance, begins near Seattle, Washington, and covers approximately 1,500 miles as it winds down through the mountains and along the coast of the Pacific Northwest on its way to the ultimate auto destination — the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.

The Motoring Classic participant package includes all meals and accommodations and entertainment en route, as well as attendance at select events normally reserved for Concours entrants and judges during the Pebble Beach Automotive Week. Some Motoring Classic participants go on to compete in the Concours itself if they have been accepted for that.

Quality and thoroughbred automobiles manufactured prior to 1968 are invited to participate in the Motoring Classic. An entry application is required. (Note: This is separate from any Concours entry application.) A maximum of 30 cars are accepted each year.

https://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/...ngclassic.html

Last edited by C6 Snowboarder; 05-16-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:52 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by kronix
You do know that SoCal is the epicenter for street racing, right? Has been since the 50s. Plus we have real tracks we can use. People come from all over the country for our race scene, they ain't headed to Iowa.
You don't get out much do you?

Last edited by Mcrider; 05-16-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaime-Corvette
Do you honestly think there isn't anyone in the streets doing underground racing in California? Oh, you think they are racing their cars stock? You don't know anything about street racing.

If you weren't so ignorant you would know why people don't like you around here. Not that you should care, but it just is what it is.

Now you just insulted me here on the internet, makes you look like an idiot. And for the same reason i don't shut the **** up is the same reason you don't shut the **** up. So quit being an idiot and just talk to me a normal human being.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by kronix
You're talking about a car show in Iowa. They probably have better tractor shows there. Come to a SoCal car show, your head will spin.
They actually have an antique tractor show every summer where they drive these old beasts on secondary roads. I worked with a highway striper in IA and caught it a few times. Actually pretty cool.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:27 AM
vettedawg2
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Come to Woodward.....
Old 05-17-2018, 02:03 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

What does a Corvette have to do with a Mustang. Cars and Coffees' bring out several hundred in a number of locations around the US. Collector car events bring out their own numbers. Don't see the correlation.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:49 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Just what is a "SNIVE" ?....and the plural there of ?....
Old 05-22-2018, 02:10 PM
sumrtoy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have never taken one of my Corvettes to a show. But I've gone to many. Including just walking around the corral at Carlisle. For me I don't care where I see Corvettes, sitting alone in a parking lot, in a show, on the road, at the dealer, old, new, bone stock or heavily modified, I just can't stop myself from staring at them and enjoying them.

I think most of the smaller to medium Corvette shows are about the camaraderie anyway.
The following 4 users liked this post by sumrtoy:
ExRedRacer (05-22-2018), orlandjoe (05-22-2018), Tally Ho (05-22-2018), ZZ06 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Wolf74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When I go to an actual car show - with judges and trophies/prizes - I expect older corvettes that have been restored or customized. IMHO, I just don't understand a newer corvette in the show unless these is a specific class for that age group car or it has been heavily customized. Now I have a different expectation for cruise-ins. Bring what you want and enjoy.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:22 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

This thread has been entertaining. Trivial, but entertaining nonetheless.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:34 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

As others said, it depends on the type of show, level of show (concours etc) and where it's located.

My opinion: stock cars don't belong in car shows unless they are vintage and in excellent+ condition. Car shows are for showcasing unusual/rare cars, special modifications, custom design/metalwork, etc... things you cannot see three times a week while driving around in your own town.

I don't want see a stock 2002 Mustang presented as if it were something special. Even if it was a nice car and well kept, in perfect condition... in the world of car shows it's just another stock mass-produced Mustang.

I took my 1995 Coupe to a car show one time. As soon as I arrived, I knew I needed to park it way out back. It just didn't belong there.

Last edited by DGXR; 05-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

There’s where your wrong.
Corvette car shows a re about cleanliness. And how much cleaner your car is to the car next to yours. You have points taken away for smugges and lint and things like that.
It’s all about points and trophies for corvette car show people.
Here is a complete explanation of how cars are judged for our local corvette shows type 2 and 5. Hood up And hood down.
Nd every class of corvette has to be represented. Otherwise you’ll have a lot less cars in corvette car show.
Remember these shows are for club funds so they can have meetings every month and have the club pay for the meetings lunch or dinner.
Otherwise all you would have are cars and coffee shows lol.
http://wscc.ws/index.php/mdocuments-library/

Originally Posted by Wolf74
When I go to an actual car show - with judges and trophies/prizes - I expect older corvettes that have been restored or customized. IMHO, I just don't understand a newer corvette in the show unless these is a specific class for that age group car or it has been heavily customized. Now I have a different expectation for cruise-ins. Bring what you want and enjoy.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

My opinion is wrong LOL. OK pal whatever you say. Obviously you are the expert on lint deductions and other gnats-*** stuff. Also, try to have some fun while you are at it
Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
My opinion is wrong LOL. OK pal whatever you say. Obviously you are the expert on lint deductions and other gnats-*** stuff. Also, try to have some fun while you are at it
I do pal. . It is wrong. There is a division for every class car so.
The OP was asking about car shows so he’s getting informative information
I have a blast that’s what it’s about otherwise why go.
Come out this weekend and see some of the cars.
We’ll be in your hood.

Last edited by ptroxx; 05-22-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

Personally, I love to see Corvettes with some of the owners personality in the car. Change the wheels, add a flat screen radio, trick out the leather, tint the windows... Do something please. Clean, stock Corvettes, row after row of them, gets to be a bit dull and lifeless. But, that's me.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 PM
Wolf74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Personally, I love to see Corvettes with some of the owners personality in the car. Change the wheels, add a flat screen radio, trick out the leather, tint the windows... Do something please. Clean, stock Corvettes, row after row of them, gets to be a bit dull and lifeless. But, that's me.
I say Amen to this! Maybe there is judging for clean cars but to me that is not what I want at a car show. I want to see something special - not a new car that was sent to the detail shop that day. But to each their own. I go to cruise-ins to look at all the new stuff.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I would like to see a few mods but as long as the car is clean and the paint is in good condition, I am happy. Wet-sanded all the way to Ceramic Coated, that is what I want to see!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 AM
RAB913
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoy looking at nice cars. Period. If I'm at a show and there's a mix of new/old cars to see, that's fine by me. If there's a nice Vette there, new or old, hood open or not, and it looks nice, I'll stop and look. He/she is proud of their car. What's wrong with that? Far be it for me to be judgmental at a car show. If the car show is open to "all," then I think it's fine. If it's strictly classic cars, then it's been stated what kind of cars they're looking for in the show. Many car shows have an entrance fee, part of which goes to charity, or veterans, and IMO the more cars in the show the better for that charity. If it's an open show, I wouldn't care who brings a car, whatever make, model and year. If the average attendee doesn't own or get a chance to see the kind of cars in the show up close very often, to me that's a good thing. I may not be a fan of some cars either, but those owners are proud of what they have. I'm good with that.

Quick Reply: I went to a local car show today. Vette guys need to SERIOUSLY step up your game.